Is it just me or do people care way too much about backwards compatability?

Backward compatibility is very important to me because if I get a 360 I would like to get rid of that huge Xbox from my entertainment center. I've been a huge fan of backward compatibility since the Genesis days when I could play my whole SMS library on my $200+ investment. Plus because of CAG, I have this library of unopened Xbox games I need to play through and if the 360 won't play them then I have to keep my Xbox around a while longer. IMO, the PS2 survived it's horrible launch lineup because it was backward compatible.

if there was a PS3 without BC (no other special features), even if i would just save $50 or so, i would get it. My PS2 is going strong, but my PS1 broke a few months before PS2 came out; so i used quite a lot of BC back in the day (nowadays, i just can't stomach PS1 graphics, and theres not really a lot i still wanna play)

with this generation, and my PS2 doing excellent (knock on wood), BC is not a major reason for me wanting a PS3

Regardless of whether you think it is a novelty or not to have backwards compatibility, people expect it to be a standard feature at this point. You goto a car dealership with certain standards / expectations like airbags, ABS, etc. It is the same thing.

[quote name='MadFlava']Backward compatibility is very important to me because if I get a 360 I would like to get rid of that huge Xbox from my entertainment center. I've been a huge fan of backward compatibility since the Genesis days when I could play my whole SMS library on my $200+ investment. Plus because of CAG, I have this library of unopened Xbox games I need to play through and if the 360 won't play them then I have to keep my Xbox around a while longer. IMO, the PS2 survived it's horrible launch lineup because it was backward compatible.[/QUOTE]
AFAIK, the Xbox 360 and the Xbox are about the same size, and the 360's power supply several million times bigger.

Backwards compatiblity. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being totally unimportant, and 10 being an absolute must, I'd give it a 9. It's a vital feature to me, for some many important reasons.

[quote name='Z-Saber']AFAIK, the Xbox 360 and the Xbox are about the same size, and the 360's power supply several million times bigger.[/QUOTE]

Ummmm, what does that matter? Most component racks only have space for so many components. MY XBOX is being replaced for the 360.

BC rates about a 4 to me. Not that important....I only play a few games right now as it is. But I can see where some REALLY want it.

[quote name='doubledown']Ummmm, what does that matter? Most component racks only have space for so many components. MY XBOX is being replaced for the 360.[/QUOTE]
Clearly I quoted someone as saying he wants to "get rid of that huge Xbox from [his] entertainment center." I merely pointed out that his 360 would be just as large with a larger power supply to boot.

I'd like to have it because I still have unopened xbox titles, but more so I could ebay off my old system than for any other reason. In all likelyhood, once I get a few 360 titles I'll probably play very little on the old system. Or maybe I'll hook it up on another tv so I can go to my bedroom and play while the kids are watching veggie tales or something... All in all, I'd rate it a about a c-hair more important than those silly faceplates... I'd have rather they dropped the time and money spent on it and made a hard drive standard on the console.

I never had an xbox. There are about 10 or so exclusive games (mostly sega and tecmo games) that I would like to play. Now back in august, microsoft and nvida's contract for the xbox's graphics card ran out. Without nvida making the graphics card for the system there will not be anymore xbox's made in the future. So people who worry about their xbox crapping out them should want backwards compatability due to the fact that probably starting next year it will be hard to find a new xbox. This will especially be true if a store decides to clear out it's xbox stock in favor of room for the xbox 360.

bread's done
Back