Is it just me or is the DS REALLY uncomfortable?

Rabid Mammal Wax

CAGiversary!
I played it at Toys R Us and its like holding a big plastic...rectangle...its like going back to the NES when controllers had to hand contour. At least the GBA (original, not SP) wraps around my hands...

I haven't spent too much time with a DS, other than the in-store displays, so I really haven't held one. When using the stylus I'm really not sure how Nintendo expects you to hold the system and use any of the other buttons or D-pad (I still haven't expericed play with the thumb cap thing).

With the exception of the Xbox and GameCube controllers, I have always found the left shoulder button to be extremely uncomfortable since its introduction on the SNES. I don't expect this to be any different on the DS.

[quote name='Kamalot']I don't find the DS uncomfortable, but the using the kiosk is very uncomfortable.

At least all the buttons on the DS work the way they are intended to.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000940029162/#comments

Check out the link to read about a portable console that is broken even before you get it.[/quote]

Ha, ha... that has nothing to do with the topic. I love when the GameFAQs style fanboys randomly pop-out. There's already a whole other topic about that.

yeah, that little thumb-nubbin thing blows. I mean, i understant the intent, but whenever i use it as an analog stick on Mario 64 DS, my hand cramps up like a mofo because of the way i have to hold it.

i like the DS, but i don't think i could play any DS game involving the nub or stylus for more than about 30 minutes at a time...

I feel like I'm the only one that really enjoys using the thumb strap while playing SM64DS. Originally I found it uncomfortable, and annoying, so I decided to only use it in Metroid Hunters. Maybe a week later I tried it again, and quickly mastered it. I'd never go back to the D-Pad now.

The stylus does get uncomfortable, but I've got a full-sized stylus that I use for Feel The Magic and pictochat, and that makes it easier on the hand.

I really don't think the kiosk does justice to it. I tried my friends out and it is definitely better than standing at a kiosk playing it. I think the kiosk is only good for playing with it for spans of up to 10 or 15 minutes. It really doesn't feel all that bad. The original GBA isn't bad but the shoulder buttons can feel weird to get to in some games and for others it fits perfectly.

The system is a good width, I like it, but the D-Pad was a mistake, and the buttons are so small it's very poorly designed.

Holding a DS in your hands is a LOT more confortable than trying to play one at a kiosk. My only real complain is that the buttons should have been a bit bigger and further apart. Other than that, its a very well designed system.

Its a little on the heavy side which makes it less than ideal for "marathon GBA type gaming" and the SP feels like a feather after playing with the DS for a few days. stylus control games work great with it on your lap or on a table and the shoulder buttons are great for adult gamers

all DS owner should start getting used to holding the DS with one hand especially with Another Code and Lost in Blue coming soon, they sure seem like must buys at this moment. =)

how is it easier playing the ds without it being attached at the kiosk??
have you tried playing metroid hunters?
you have to use one hand on the stylus and the other hand's thumb for the strafing and index finger for the shooting, leaving you with literally 3 fingers holding the entire thing.
how can you play like that for more than 10 minutes?

[quote name='weimerwanger']how is it easier playing the ds without it being attached at the kiosk??
have you tried playing metroid hunters?
you have to use one hand on the stylus and the other hand's thumb for the strafing and index finger for the shooting, leaving you with literally 3 fingers holding the entire thing.
how can you play like that for more than 10 minutes?[/quote]

What is Gods name are you talking about?

You grab the DS with your secondary hand.

You then position the thumb nub on your primary hand and use its thumb on the stylus. Every finger is supporting the system and your two thumbs are controlling.

I guess you would prefer a kiosk to hold your PS2, Xbox, or Cube controller also?

[quote name='weimerwanger']oh right... i forgot the thumb nub[/quote]

Sounds like you are going off the old play method they showed at E3 in May of 2004.

There are literally like 6+ options to play Metroid Hunters.

bread's done
Back