Is it necessary to play chrono trigger b4 chrono cross?

Pyrotyrant

CAG Veteran
I know, i know. I live a sheltered life. I want to experience both of these classics, but is it necessary to play trigger before i play cross? Are the stories independant?

Thanks for the help.

No both games are really different and If you play chronocross first you wont ruin chrono triggers story

Chrono Cross does have story tie-ins w/ Chrono Trigger - things that won't make sense if you haven't played it. Besides, why NOT play Chrono Trigger first? :?:

I'm going to have to go with yes, you should play Chrono Trigger before Cross. There's really a lot of plot points from the original that are expanded upon in Cross. And really, Trigger is the superior of the two games anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem to play through.

Chrono Cross is a great game that just gets enhanced by Chrono Trigger. I made the mistake of playing Cross first a few years back and while it was a fantastic game, there were a good number of loose ends that weren't ties until i played Trigger. But when I played Trigger, i had gotten the majority of the story already from Cross. So play Trigger first if you can.

[quote name='DenisDFat']It's never necessary to play chrono trigger.

What a horrid game.[/quote]

I sense sarcasm. Its all good though. 8)

I'll play trigger before cross. Thanks for the input guyz.

No sarcasm at all.

The game sucks, and so much so that i can't conjure up the fortitude or desire to play a minute more

A haiku for DenisDFat regarding his feelings for Chrono Trigger:

An office stapler
the wrong tool for seppuku
don't let that stop you.

[quote name='jmcc']
An office stapler
don't let that stop you.[/quote]

Sure, quote poetry from theonion.com without mentioning the source (or even that it's not original).

[quote name='DenisDFat']No sarcasm at all.

The game sucks, and so much so that i can't conjure up the fortitude or desire to play a minute more[/quote]

Why do you even reply in a thread like this when you just hate everything anyway?

[quote name='eldad9'][quote name='jmcc']
An office stapler
don't let that stop you.[/quote]

Sure, quote poetry from theonion.com without mentioning the source (or even that it's not original).[/quote]

I can't quote the source. They don't have it archived and I can't recall who the author was, only that he was filling in for Lloyd Schumner Sr.

Definately play Trigger first. The two biggest scenes in the game (dead sea and the frozen flame thing) will be almost meaningless without having played the original. It's an independent story, but I don't think you will enjoy it anywhere as close as you woulf if you played the original first.

And to whoever asked earlier, I have played Radical Dreamers, although only a version that goes through the main story and not all the wacky Japanese endings. It was strange at first, but really quite fascinating after havong played CC first. I thought it was a neat experience, and liked that a lot of Chrono Cross's music came from radical dreamers.

I agree, playing Trigger first really helps. I also made that mistake of playing Cross first, I enjoyed it but not a ton, played Trigger later and some of the little things started making sense.

OMGOMGOMG, w/e you do, try to get SNES vers of CT. I have the non-GH vers of FF:Chronicles, and my god, it is teh cr4p. Horrid loading times, not-so-good emulation of music, meh. Seriously, it takes me like a minute to load the menu. It's so bad, I try to avoid as much as possible, waiting until I'm like 29 hp (whole party) to open it for merely healing :( I'm not sure about the GH vers, I heard it was a bit better, but STAY AWAY FROM THE NON GH VERS OF FF: C LIKE THE PLAGUE. I almost have to agree w/ Dennis and his opinion of CT because of the crappy port in FF:C :( Stoopid SquareEA, ruining one of the best games of all time for me :( The anime cut-scenes are cool, but does *NOT* in any way make up for the laziness/sloppiness of the port!!!!!!!!! *STRESSES ONE MORE TIME* STAAAAAAAAY AWAAAAAAAAAAY /End Rant/

Hmm.. just to emphasize how bad it is, I actually think
CC>>>>CT (keep in mind that I was posioned by FF:C. REALLY I'm done now.)

So Final Fantasy Chronicles is a bad version? That was the version i was going to get.

That is unfortunate, because the SNES Chrono Trigger is like 100 dollars or more.

Sigh. I'll think of something.

FF: C isn't as bad as sailorchrono says. Even if it has those load times, it's still a great game to play. Besides, the game can't be over $19.99, so it's not like you're wasting your life savings.

[quote name='Pyrotyrant']So Final Fantasy Chronicles is a bad version? That was the version i was going to get.

That is unfortunate, because the SNES Chrono Trigger is like 100 dollars or more.

Sigh. I'll think of something.[/quote]

It really isn't that bad. I'll agree that if you've played the snes version you will notice it but if you haven't it shouldn't be that much of an inconvinience. Also, it runs a little faster on the ps2 than it does on the ps1 if you turn on the ps2's faster loading option for ps1 games.

Cool. I have a super nintendo and would love to have CT but I don't and am a cheap ass gamer. Ill probably go with my original plans and get FF:C. Thanks for the help guyz

Reality's Fringe said:
Take your copy of Chrono Cross, raise it high above your head, and hope that god smites it before he smites you for buying it.

I just wanted to award you on your great avatar.

bread's done
Back