Is it possible to cancel the Sony Card online (used for $100 off PS3 purchase)?

pstriple

CAGiversary!
Back in December I did the $100 off Sony Card deal on Sonystyle.com towards a PS3. I've paid it off and am now ready to cancel the card. Is there anyway to do this online or do I have to call them?

If I have to call their customer support line, anyone do it before and know how pushy they are in trying to make you keep the card? Thanks for your help.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Ask StrandedBrit and I think Thongsy. That's how they got their PS3. I believe StrandedBrit canceled and said it would not hurt credit.[/QUOTE]
He was wrong. It's a well known fact that activity such as opening and closing accounts is bad for credit. Especially opening and closing an account so quickly. You kids shouldn't play with credit cards.

[quote name='torifile']He was wrong. It's a well known fact that activity such as opening and closing accounts is bad for credit. Especially opening and closing an account so quickly. You kids shouldn't play with credit cards.[/QUOTE]

Yea hes wrong. Opening and closing lines of credit like that isnt good for your credit. But unless you are planning on taking out a car loan or something anytime soon I wouldnt worry too much. Just dont make it a habit.

Most credit cards you have to call to cancel. Just so they can pressure you. Not fun but if you want to cancel your card you will most likely need to deal with that crap.

[quote name='torifile']He was wrong. It's a well known fact that activity such as opening and closing accounts is bad for credit. Especially opening and closing an account so quickly. You kids shouldn't play with credit cards.[/quote]

I ain't no kid, and my credit score hasn't taken a big hit. Opening and closing accounts does affect your credit, but it's not a big deal, at least not for me and my situation.

But yeah I cancelled. The sony customer service was just like any other credit card company. They'll try and get you to stay etc, but just say no and it's not too much hassle.

Note: If this is your only credit card you own, you might as well keep it open as this will hurt your credit score if you close.

Good to know. I know some people who were looking to do this and wondering how cancelling the card goes.

If you dont want to USE your card, just cut it up, but do not cancel it... I of course an very particular about keeping good credit, although my recent car purchase has bumped it down a little for obvious reasons

You never want to close credit cards that you have open especially if you have put more on the other cards that you have already. Doing so affects your debt to credit ratio and is a pretty big factor in determining your FICO score.

bread's done
Back