Is it possible to get banned from gamestop for returning too many games?

are you banned?

why are u returning so many?

I feel like we've had this discussion before.

If you are not doing what you are suppose to do (ie, beating the game and returning it) then you should be fine.

When you are banned, any thing that links to your name will give flag. so yea, when you use your edge, something will probably pop up in the computer.

Nah, I'm not banned, just wondering. I'm trying out the games, beating them and returning them. So far I've done that twice. I'm gonna do that a third then stop doing it. Don't want $110 in credit to go to waste.

[quote name='lolmister']And once banned will I still be able to use my edge credit?[/QUOTE]

Well then you wouldn't really be banned, would you? I've only done it three times and that was because I bought expensive games I legitimately didn't like, not because I was done with them and decided to abuse the system.

Protip: Probably not wise to brag about that on the internet. That's what Blockbuster is for.

don't be a fucking dick and take advantage of the return policy. if enough people do it they may not even have one anymore. asshole.

You won't be banned for doing it three times. Even if the manager threatens you and says you're banned it isn't company-wide. There's no list of "banned" customers in the backroom at GameStop, if you're told that then the guy you're talking to is full of crap. If you're told you're banned ask for the DM's number or the customer service number and tell him/her that you haven't done anything wrong. You'll see that "ban" lifted real quick. I used to encounter people returning games 10-20 times a week and we couldn't do anything to stop them. Just don't be a jerk about it, ok? You don't want the GS team hating you. It's really easy for them to say "Sorry, we don't have it in stock. Yeah, I know the case is out there but we can't find the game." :roll:

I use to buy a game from gamestop and beat it return it get a new game and beat it so on and so forth and the clerk told me that is why they have there return policy like it is

I thought once a game was opened it was trade in credit only, no returns. How are they supposed to resell the game as new if the shrinkwrap is off and the seals are broken?

[quote name='darkslime']don't be a fucking dick and take advantage of the return policy. if enough people do it they may not even have one anymore. asshole.[/QUOTE]

I agree. If too many people take advantage of the system, they will change their policy. If you don't want to buy new games but play them. Gamefly would be a great alternative for you.

[quote name='CheepGamez']I thought once a game was opened it was trade in credit only, no returns. How are they supposed to resell the game as new if the shrinkwrap is off and the seals are broken?[/QUOTE]

This situation is centered around used games, not sealed, new games.

I buy and return used games all the time. I'm kind of compulsive if I find something because whenever I hesitate it's gone the next day so I just buy and then return if I don't actually want it.

I don't play through games nearly fast enough to even try to abuse the policy but all of the guys at the Gamestops near me are pretty nice and have never given me a problem about returning games or mentioned anything.

[quote name='scott2hotcott']I've been told by multiple GS employees that I can return used games within 7 days if I beat it, don't like it, etc.[/QUOTE]
Same here,hear it all the time; I don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape about this.

They let you return them, even if you are beating them, because eventually the customer ends up keeping one of the games. Even the worst of the policy abusers end up using the original purchase credit to buy and keep something. That's why GS doesn't care if you beat and return, they'll still get their money. It's the sales reps that get annoyed because it's a lot of useless transactions with no real sales going on.

They're not going to change their policy, and they're not going to ban you. They're making too much money to care about stuff like that.

[quote name='ArQuesta']They let you return them, even if you are beating them, because eventually the customer ends up keeping one of the games. Even the worst of the policy abusers end up using the original purchase credit to buy and keep something. That's why GS doesn't care if you beat and return, they'll still get their money. It's the sales reps that get annoyed because it's a lot of useless transactions with no real sales going on.

They're not going to change their policy, and they're not going to ban you. They're making too much money to care about stuff like that.[/QUOTE]

That's funny, a long time ago, I mean like 10+ years ago they had this policy with new games. If they there isn't a chance they would change their policy then where is that policy now?

It went away from abuse, which is exactly where this one is going to go if people keep recklessly abusing it.

i go to this certain gamestop and always return my online purchases to them....makes me wonder if i pissed them off all the time doing that...:p

private companies can ban you whenever they want for whatever reason they want. if you're returning a lot of games, i wouldn't be surprised to find out that you were banned.

it depends on the manager of each store

i return stuff on a weekly basis, and normally 5-10 games, depending on what i felt like trying out, and all the stores around me are cool with it. they really don't care since occasionally i do keep a couple of the games ive bought, so in the end they are making money anyways, and buying and returning stuff from one store to another doesn't really mess with their inventory counts or anything like that, so generally most stores don't really care too much.

but it can still depend on the manager of the store.

Normally I'd say don't be a dick and abuse return policies but in the case of game stop go ahead and fuck them over. That company is horribly run and super shady. In any case, their days are numbered once everything goes full blown digital distribution in 5-10 years or so (if not sooner).

[quote name='dan13l858']I agree. If too many people take advantage of the system, they will change their policy. If you don't want to buy new games but play them. Gamefly would be a great alternative for you.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, too. If they aren't making any money because everyone is buying games, playing them, then returning them for full credit then they will have to change their policy to defective exchange for an identical game only.

There seems to be a thin line between legitimately using a policy to return a game that sucks or is too hard or easy and just being a douche bag and using a retail store as a rental store. Some of you guys seem to knowingly cross that line.

I'm no huge fan of Game Stop, but you just cause more work for the people working there and threaten to put an end to a decent policy to actually protect people from wasting their money on a bad purchase here or there. Not to mention, some folks might be in the store actually looking to buy the used game that you are "borrowing" and it be unavailable to them. Grow up.

[quote name='jousley']There seems to be a thin line between legitimately using a policy to return a game that sucks or is too hard or easy and just being a douche bag and using a retail store as a rental store. Some of you guys seem to knowingly cross that line.[/QUOTE]

This +1.

[quote name='jousley']there seems to be a thin line between legitimately using a policy to return a game that sucks or is too hard or easy and just being a douche bag and using a retail store as a rental store. Some of you guys seem to knowingly cross that line.

I'm no huge fan of game stop, but you just cause more work for the people working there and threaten to put an end to a decent policy to actually protect people from wasting their money on a bad purchase here or there. Not to mention, some folks might be in the store actually looking to buy the used game that you are "borrowing" and it be unavailable to them. Grow up.[/quote]

+2

While it is wrong to use Gamestop as a rental store to try out games you're on the fence on and then keep returning them when you decide you don't like the game, it IS their policy to allow returns of used titles within 7 days.

So no one who is trying out these games is going against the policy. However, if they're slogging through the games to BEAT them within 7 days and then return them, that's about as shady as Gamestop selling new games that have been opened to make display copies as new still w/o offering any discount on them.

I return stuff every so often, but I never EVER play the games before returning. I know thats part of why they have the policy, but I buy what I intend to keep. Only thing I use return policy for is when I make GameStop runs tracking down hard to find games when they pop up as in-stock, so that way I don't waste gas/time trying for the best copy of said game. Also of course for online orders, because my god are alot of them shit quality.

Did it twice the employee basically told me I was better of doing this as I was planning on buying them new and he said if you buy it used and pass it/don't like it you can return it

It's their policy, they can ban you because you're ugly if they wanted to.

They can't deny you credit though as I do not believe it is connected to you in any way.

People who are "banned" simply can't trade in or participate in the promotions, they still let you shop their regularly.

bread's done
Back