Is it time to upgrade my TV?

Tirade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Doubt I'll get many serious answers but Ill give it a shot.

Got my son a PS3 for Christmas, so now Im starting to wonder if our TV is good enough. Let me preface this with the following statement: "Yes, I'm more or less looking for confirmation that our current TV is fine. I'm pretty sure it is, but the techno-geek in me is always having doubts and I honestly like constructive talks about current/future technology"

Im not really looking for a new TV so much as I am looking for an excuse to maybe, one day, next year, when she is half-asleep, after a good foot massage, mention to my wife that we might want to move the TV in the living room to our bedroom and buy something new for the living room. She only watches TV in the bedroom so its an upgrade for HER ;)

Anyway, I bought this guy 3 years ago (well 3 years come Feb)

http://www.dlptvreview.com/dlptv/samsung-hlp5085w.html

Ive still got an extra bulb or 2 in the closet when the time comes. It does down convert everything to 720p (not sure how this will effect the PS3) and Im running out of inputs.

It has 1 HDMI input but no idea what HDMI version (No HDCP support, currently have my HD-DVR hooked to this port) - Anyone know what version of HDMI it is?

It has 1 DVI input (Does support HDCP over DVI. I have my HTPC hooked up to this but plan to hook the PS3 to this port)

It has 1 VGA port (Nothing hooked to this yet but plan to move the HTPC to it when I hook up the PS3)

2 Component inputs (The Wii is hooked to one of the 2 and the other is empty).

So anyway, I guess it boils down to this question: "Is the upgrade to 1080p, HDMI 1.3, a few more inputs, and maybe a few extra inches of viewing size; worth the money right now?" Im pretty sure the answer is no, but for discussions sake Id like to see what others have to say.

Seems fine to me. My sanyo runs at 720p and looks fantastic. The jump from 720 to 1080 isn't as drastic as from 480 to 720. Seems like there is going to be some good advancements in OLED technology over the next couple years. Id say save your money, buy some games (what games you got a PS3, I kid I kid) and enjoy.

holy shit, you have a 50 inch tv? if anything i would think that video games would look better on a smaller screen, something under 40 inches anyways.

27 inches is very good for me, but if you are dying to upgrade, like the guy above me said, just wait for a really good price, or camp out on a black friday nest year or the year after.

I recently upgraded to an HDTV (got a 32" sceptre naga on the megacheap) in such a way that

1. I won't be tempted to snag a big ticket TV anytime soon
2. If it dies after a couple years I don't cry too hard
3. OLED is getter better (eventually cheaper) and I can wait until it's worth it to invest in a long term crazy TV.

Long story short - you and I are in solid positions to wait it out until the new wave of HDTV's get cheaper. That TV sounds fine for the short run.

I'd keep the current TV, run the HD-DVR into the TV via Component, and hdmi the PS3. If you have money, sure, buy a new TV. But you really won't be missing that much by not upgrading.

bread's done
Back