Is it worth buying a console online even if you do save $100?

icecubedx5

CAGiversary!
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110081

It comes out as $399.99 shipped. Subtract $65 (the cost of Gears of War and tax if you bought it in stores) = $334.99 and if you subtract $30 (if you bought 360 in stores, you'd pay about $30 in taxes), then you'd be buying a Xbox 360 for a total of $305 which > any price cut.
Basically your buying a 360 for $305 as opposed to $400 in stores. But for consoles is it best to buy in stores even if you pay MSRP? If something goes wrong with the console, its easy to just return/exchange for a new one. Plus if you buy it at Best Buy, you can get a 2 year extended warranty for $50.

The great thing about that is that they will give you a full refund if you return it to due to "faulty hardware." My friend got a 360 at launch with the warranty. In one year when his warranty is about to run out, he tells me he's going to return it, apply the $400 to a PS3, and re-buy the 360 for $250 (or whatever it drops in price to 2 years after launch).

That itself seems worth it (even though you are ripping off the store). So my question is, is it best to buy new expensive consoles in stores rather than online, even if it means you miss out on saving $100?

[quote name='icecubedx5']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110081

Basically your buying a 360 for $305 as opposed to $400 in stores. But for consoles is it best to buy in stores even if you pay MSRP? If something goes wrong with the console, its easy to just return/exchange for a new one. Plus if you buy it at Best Buy, you can get a 2 year extended warranty for $50.

The great thing about that is that they will give you a full refund if you return it to due to "faulty hardware." My friend got a 360 at launch with the warranty. In one year when his warranty is about to run out, he tells me he's going to return it, apply the $400 to a PS3, and re-buy the 360 for $250 (or whatever it drops in price to 2 years after launch).

That itself seems worth it (even though you are ripping off the store). So my question is, is it best to buy new expensive consoles in stores rather than online, even if it means you miss out on saving $100?[/QUOTE]

Yes its worth buying the items in a REAL STORE At least for now. One manager has told me more then once Best buy is going to start changing its warrenty very soon. It will state EXCHANGE ONLY instead of Exchange or Voucher. There are tons of of people who take the system in around 18 months after buying it and returning it for the cash they paid.

i took back an playstation 2 last year and got my money back (got a new ps2 out of it) But a few months before that my friend took an Xbox back saying the system didnt work right. They opened it up and played the system and found out it worked and refused to exchange it or give the money

so right now i would say yes its worth it but once 100's of people start returning the PS3 2 years from now and trying to get 600 bucks back for a 400 buck or cheaper system i think Best buy will put its foot down there

right now best buy isnt losing anything in doing this (since the price of the warrenty is around the same amount systems drop and look at other sytems)

but i think best buy will stop doing this very soon

[quote name='icecubedx5']
Basically your buying a 360 for $305 as opposed to $400 in stores.[/QUOTE]

No. You're paying ~$335 instead of ~$430. Sure, there's a ~$100 savings, but you're not paying $305 for it.

[quote name='clariste']No. You're paying ~$335 instead of ~$430. Sure, there's a ~$100 savings, but you're not paying $305 for it.[/QUOTE]

yea, you can't subtract a tax that hasn't been put in place yet in the $399 price tag.

Ehhh same thing. I always use "pre-tax" estimates just to make things simpler. Like a game costs $50 when your really paying $53.XX

[quote name='icecubedx5']
[/QUOTE]
Honestly? I think that's pretty shady. But as for your question, I buy almost everything online. Get it from a reputable place and you'll be OK for legitimate concerns.

[quote name='icruise']Honestly? I think that's pretty shady. But as for your question, I buy almost everything online. Get it from a reputable place and you'll be OK for legitimate concerns.[/QUOTE]

also it better buying items in store. Say you got this xbox system and it went out 3 months from now , you would have to call MSFT and wait for them to send you a box to send it back and then wait longer to get it back and it probally be a used system you get back . now if you got it from best buy all you do is walk in and BOOM new system no wait at all

[quote name='slidecage']also it better buying items in store. Say you got this xbox system and it went out 3 months from now , you would have to call MSFT and wait for them to send you a box to send it back and then wait longer to get it back and it probally be a used system you get back . now if you got it from best buy all you do is walk in and BOOM new system no wait at all[/QUOTE]

Sure, once. The Best Buy warranty is good for one swap. The warranty is tied to the system you buy. If you get a new one a new warranty purchase is required for the new system. This is also true since they don't exchange. They give you a gift card to just buy a system, so you are on your own on buying a new warranty. So essentially to continue having a warranty, it costs you $50 on each return at the store, where-as the MS warranty can be transferred to different units thoughout the two years.

This is my experience anyway having bought the original Xbox and returning it after the drive died. I couldn't keep the same warranty. I now have the MS warranty on my 360 and already had to transfer it to a new unit since I had to have mine repaired.

Don't forget that some credit cards offer an extended warranty if the item is purchased on it. That is why I bought my TV with an AMEX. Although not as convenient as bringing it back to a store it does provide some protection and doesn't cost additional $$.

When did the price change to $50 for the warranty from BB? I have been buying mine for only $30, with the last one gotten only like a month ago. Though I would have to say yes, it is better to buy from a B&M store over one online for this reason alone. I think the BB warranty is one of the best I have ever seen.

bread's done
Back