Is it worth reporting someone with unreasonable S+H?

oleander

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Sorry, I know this is talked about occasionally, but I was looking on eBay today and found this:
PSone Replacement Unit
This looked really good at first - just the PSone console, without the cables (I just got a PSone screen, so I don't really need those) for $15 BIN (or $11 through auction). But then I saw the S+H: $17 for USPS parcel post. So I went to USPS and calculated ~$4 for the actual shipping cost. To add insult to injury, insurance is $3.50 (with USPS, $1.30 covers up to $50)!
I know I can report him, but does that actually help anything?

nope. I reported a guy for selling Midnight Club 3 for $0.01 and $29.99 shipping. eBay did nothing and the auction ended sold a few days later.

[quote name='mtxbass1']nope. I reported a guy for selling Midnight Club 3 for $0.01 and $29.99 shipping. eBay did nothing and the auction ended sold a few days later.[/QUOTE]
that sucks...stupid ebay....it seems like they could mitigate the problem by simply taking the 'handling' out and dropping the fees slightly...then there wouldn't be so much room for interpretation

Nope. Nothing you can do, and ebay does not care. Surprising since they are selling it for so low it actually effects the comission ebay would make off the sale.

Yeah, this is becoming a huge problem on ebay IMO. I will go out on a limb that it will kill ebay in time, if left unchecked.

However, for those of us who are occasional sellers, a ~$4 shipping fee, which covers priority mail, is a HUGE selling point. I know that my low shipping rates gets me bids.

[quote name='Epic Wolf']the .01 auction's with extreme shipping are to cut the Ebay fee's dramatically...[/QUOTE]

Works for me... anything to save the seller a bit of $$$ and not ebay...

[quote name='oleander']Sorry, I know this is talked about occasionally, but I was looking on eBay today and found this:
PSone Replacement Unit
This looked really good at first - just the PSone console, without the cables (I just got a PSone screen, so I don't really need those) for $15 BIN (or $11 through auction). But then I saw the S+H: $17 for USPS parcel post. So I went to USPS and calculated ~$4 for the actual shipping cost. To add insult to injury, insurance is $3.50 (with USPS, $1.30 covers up to $50)!
I know I can report him, but does that actually help anything?[/QUOTE]

Something else... Ebay has a staff of paid people that take care of monitoring auctions. I don't think they really want us monitoring the auctions for them.

Leaving a bad feedback for someone because shipping was too high is considered wrong because when you bid on someones auction you agree to the shipping before hand. So for the guy charging 17 for shipping, don't bid. But for the guy doing buy it now for .01 with $29.99 shipping, that is against ebay's terms so he should be reported.

Yeah it was your mistake. You should pay, leave positive feedback, and list in the comment that shipping was unreasonable.

[quote name='soulwish2003']Something else... Ebay has a staff of paid people that take care of monitoring auctions. I don't think they really want us monitoring the auctions for them.[/QUOTE]

Which take a look at .001% of all auctions right? Mainly reporting is useful if someone tries to copy your listings or pictures.

Doesn't hurt to report a listing, but for this example I'm not sure eBay would agree that S+H cost is excessive enough to warrant pulling a listing. I report listings that do assy stuff like that from time to time - some of them are taken down, some aren't.

[quote name='Epic Wolf']the .01 auction's with extreme shipping are to cut the Ebay fee's dramatically...[/QUOTE]

And also to drive more non-power buyers to their listing pages/fool the newbie buyer into jumping on a BIN that they think is a deal only to find out they got duped. But even buyer's that know to check the S+H cost have their time wasted by these listings. I have S+H cost as part of my search results, but any buyer that doesn't know how to do that ends up wasting time sifting through auctions like that and maybe just decides to skip dealing with wasting their time on eBay altogether. I know I found eBay to be a lot more of a chore before you could put S+H in your search results.

[quote name='soulwish2003']Something else... Ebay has a staff of paid people that take care of monitoring auctions. I don't think they really want us monitoring the auctions for them.[/QUOTE]

Actually eBay generally doesn't look at an auction unless it is reported by another user. They have some automated scripts that look for specific keywords and pull them (generally automatically as well), but for the most part if no one reports an auction there is very very little chance it will be taken down. I think they should be more proactive about enforcing their rules, but they aren't.

Don't forget, if the seller accepts Paypal only, Ebay will make their cut on the shipping even if they don't get the Final Value Fee...

[quote name='Jeoff']Yeah it was your mistake. You should pay, leave positive feedback, and list in the comment that shipping was unreasonable.[/QUOTE]
I didn't actually buy it...it just annoys me since it looks like a good deal at first and then sucks...

bread's done
Back