Is it wrong to preorder something with a free bonus and cancel the preorder?

Forumchibi

CAG Veteran
My original problem was that I put $10 down on Guild Wars (yeah, this happened a while ago, but another preorder topic sparked my interest again). I got the beta key for free with this preorder, I got on the beta, thought the game sucked and didn't end up buying it in the end, so I was out for an expensive rental more or less.

Would it have been wrong to go there and ask for my money back before it came out, when I got something extra which can apply to most preorder situations these days? Or is it bad to cancel preorders in general you put money down on (having never done so before)? Keep in mind I have no intention of trying to rip them off in this particular situation.

When I preorder things at the local EB's, it is always for the promotional stuff. The manager knows I do this and he has no problem with it. I then transfer the $5 I put down over to a different item. But, this isn't really requesting my money back. I still use the $5 in their store, which is probably why they don't care. (Guess my post doesn't answer your question though!)

Putting the money down on something else never even occurred to me, so at least if something like this happened again I would be able to better use my money. ;)

Are you allowed to ask for the money to use on a game they have already released? I have $5 on Twilight Princess, but can I go in there and use that $5 to buy some DS game?

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Are you allowed to ask for the money to use on a game they have already released? I have $5 on Twilight Princess, but can I go in there and use that $5 to buy some DS game?[/QUOTE]

I don't see why you couldn't, though you'd probably have to cancel the preorder with no money down on it. Just because it was spent on a preorder though, it's still $5 for them.

Yup, if you have a preorder and you never go to pick it up it just goes to your account. It happened to me with DRIV3R (thank god I didnt but it :D). But you can just use the credit on anything in the store!

No its not bad to do that.....but it is bad to take advantage of the trade in deals.

for the previous CAG saying he trades in games towards trade in deals....why are you only putting $5 down, you need to put the full amount you get for the trade. Your lucky that manager has not been caught yet. My buddy was a manager then he lost his job because of it as did a few of his coworkers. Its not pretty I hear when lost prevention gets involved with that kind of stuff.

[quote name='evilmax17']If you're getting a physical tangeble thing, then yes. In your case, no.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused, was this to me? If it was, I don't really understand what part you were answering, since I was talking about simply asking for money back on a preorder after playing a junky demo. But maybe you weren't talking to me. ;)

Nah, I don't see why not. Most of the promos of actual value (free games, some t-shirts) are only given out once you pick up the game. As long as you don't make this a weekly habit and get noticed by the staff, it's ok if you cancel here or there.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']Are you allowed to ask for the money to use on a game they have already released? I have $5 on Twilight Princess, but can I go in there and use that $5 to buy some DS game?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I had the same thing happen to me back in July before I came to Japan.

I had $50 down on Geist (which was GREAT btw!) after trade-ins, but it got delayed until August (well after I would leave the country) so I asked if I could use the credit for something else and I was able to get a slim PS2 for $100!

Weeooo!

What the hell is going on with this thread?

The money you use to preorder, you can do anything you want with it, it's your money. If I preorder a game in full, and decide the next day I want something else, or my money back, EB is obligated to give it to me.

And about preordering, getting the bonus, and switching it... it seems to be impossible since they wait to give you the bonus the day the game comes out, and not before like they used to do.

[quote name='Roufuss']What the hell is going on with this thread?
[/QUOTE]

I believe the OP is asking a question of ethics. Yawn. Wake me up when both sides are done fighting.

[quote name='birdman']No its not bad to do that.....but it is bad to take advantage of the trade in deals.

for the previous CAG saying he trades in games towards trade in deals....why are you only putting $5 down, you need to put the full amount you get for the trade. Your lucky that manager has not been caught yet. My buddy was a manager then he lost his job because of it as did a few of his coworkers. Its not pretty I hear when lost prevention gets involved with that kind of stuff.[/QUOTE]

:? Is this directed at me. If it was, then to clarify, I am not using the trade-in deals. My $5 is going to preorder a game, get the promotional item, then I will move that $5 to an item I want to buy in their store. If you weren't talking about my previous post, then I apologize. I just wasn't sure if you were talking about me or not.

[quote name='Roufuss']And about preordering, getting the bonus, and switching it... it seems to be impossible since they wait to give you the bonus the day the game comes out, and not before like they used to do.[/QUOTE]

There are some (The new Pokemon comes to mind, you get a skin for your Gamecube) that give the promotional item at the time of preorder. I do it for basically anything, whether that be a small music sampler cd or demo disc, to anything better than those.

[quote name='terribledeli']I believe the OP is asking a question of ethics. Yawn. Wake me up when both sides are done fighting.[/QUOTE]

No, this isn't about ethics at all, it's a courtesy thing.

If I "invested" money in something, I would not normally back out and ask for the money back if I changed my mind, that's just how I see/saw it. They wouldn't really ask you to put down money at all if it didn't mean something, in this case I suppose it's mutual faith that you would actual pick up the item you ordered.

It's kind of like if I had someone go out of the way and pay a ton of money to import an expensive item and then I said I didn't want it, and left them in a lurch. It's slightly different since I suppose if I don't buy it someone else will, but in my mind, it is/was still a courtesy to pick up what you ordered or at least let them keep the down payment.

But I thank everyone for the comments, and next time, I will get my money back. :p

bread's done
Back