Is my graphics card dead?

Blips

CAGiversary!
So I think my GeForce 8800 GTX might be dead. The lights on the graphics card turn on and the fan runs, but I can't get either of the DVI ports to work. I put an old graphics card in to make sure it wasn't the motherboard and can get the monitors to show video using an old card, which the 8800 could not. The monitors showed that there was no signal being received when using the DVI ports on the 8800. Is there anything else I should do to test if the card is dead? Any way to easily fix the DVI ports?

And if the DVI ports don't work, could I get more power by buying a new card and leaving the other card in the additional PCI express slot?

If you have 2 gfx slots you can put the 8800 gtx in the 2nd one and run the old card in the 1st one to see if it shows up in device manager. If it does, you might be able to run it in SLI mode. If not then its got more issues than just the dvi port. You can try baking the gfx card to fix it (350 to 400F, 15 to 30 min).

[quote name='runsongas']You can try baking the gfx card to fix it (350 to 400F, 15 to 30 min).[/QUOTE]

Seriously?

Well it is a last ditch attempt at a fix. suspected problem at this point would be a solder connection of some type and the oven is used as a flow station to attempt to fix the connection pins that failed. I wouldn't do it unless absolutely sure that the board is trashed other wise

if you card has a port other than dvi (vga), plug a monitor into it and set the resolution to 800x600 or any of the really low ones. then try your dvi ports again. an old crt would work.

[quote name='crystalklear64']if you card has a port other than dvi (vga), plug a monitor into it and set the resolution to 800x600 or any of the really low ones. then try your dvi ports again. an old crt would work.[/QUOTE]

There are only DVI ports on the back. I used a DVI to VGA adaptor and tried to plug it into a CRT and it wouldn't display an image. I've confirmed that the adaptor and VGA cables both work.

I should also say that my HDTV was displaying the image just fine one day through the DVI connection when it went black suddenly and now it won't show up on the HDTV or old CRT monitor at all.

Does the computer display anything during POST (pre windows boot)? If not, then something is pretty messed up.

Tried booting windows into safe mode? That will bypass the installed driver and just use the generic VGA one (to isolate driver issues).

[quote name='m6oo']Does the computer display anything during POST (pre windows boot)? If not, then something is pretty messed up.[/QUOTE]

It does not, so I guess a new graphics card will be an upcoming purchase. I appreciate everyone's help in this thread.

bread's done
Back