Is my manager lying, stupid, or am I just uninformed

StankGunner

CAG Veteran
So I have been working at Game Stop for a month or so and I really don't mind it as much as alot of people do. One of the only things that bothers me is that one of managers that works there tells people that playing xbox games on your 360 or ps2 games on your ps3 is akin to hitting your system with a hammer. If anyone comes in and he knows they are going to try and play a last gen game on a new console he tells them not to.

Now, I have never heard ANYTHING remotely like this, and I like to consider myself pretty well informed. I read joystiq, and Kotaku, and listen to the CAG cast among many other podcasts and not ONCE have I heard that playing last gen games is bad for your current gen system.

He says that it screws up the console because the games are read at different speeds. I am almost 100% sure he is full of shit but I wanted to be positive before I took it to our head manager, (he is making it so people aren't able to play the games they want to, and, for some odd reason, costing us sales.

Have any of you heard anything like this?

Actually no he's full of truth..
My friend played Halo2 on his 360 for a shit long time and when he went back to playing 360 games they were screwing with his 360. Halo2 has a slower framerate then Halo3 and if he was palying Halo2 for a long time the 360 would get used to the lower framerate, so it would run low on Halo3

[quote name='keithp']I think he's full of shit. Why would they design back-compatibility if it was damaging to the consoles?[/quote]
The ps2 is fine just because it is, but the 360 runs on emualtion and you can tell that when an original xbox game is in you can't hear the drive hardly at all, but when a 360 game is in ,it's blowing full speed!

[quote name='masterofdarkness']Actually no he's full of truth..
My friend played Halo2 on his 360 for a shit long time and when he went back to playing 360 games they were screwing with his 360. Halo2 has a slower framerate then Halo3 and if he was palying Halo2 for a long time the 360 would get used to the lower framerate, so it would run low on Halo3[/quote]That... doesn't happen.

I could see it being an issue depending on the laser switch for the PS3 over to read DVDs or CDs, but 360 and OG Xbox games are both DVD9s. No laser change needed.

[quote name='daroga']That... doesn't happen.

I could see it being an issue depending on the laser switch for the PS3 over to read DVDs or CDs, but 360 and OG Xbox games are both DVD9s. No laser change needed.[/quote]Let's just depend it does. It makes for a more interesting post.

My friend played Halo2 on his 360 for a shit long time and when he went back to playing 360 games they were screwing with his 360. Halo2 has a slower framerate then Halo3 and if he was palying Halo2 for a long time the 360 would get used to the lower framerate, so it would run low on Halo3[/QUOTE]

His manager is full of shit, and you're just an idiot.

[quote name='redgopher']His manager is full of shit, and you're just an idiot.[/quote]

scruffy.gif
"Second."

My friend played Halo2 on his 360 for a shit long time and when he went back to playing 360 games they were screwing with his 360. Halo2 has a slower framerate then Halo3 and if he was palying Halo2 for a long time the 360 would get used to the lower framerate, so it would run low on Halo3[/QUOTE]

Me: :rofl:

You and your friend: :dunce:

Do you have any idea how many 360 owners play Halo 2 on their system?

Okay, none. But before Halo 3 came out it was plenty, if there were any issues at all with going from emulated last gen games to current 360 games, it would be well known and reported on.

Sounds like your manager is trying to push preowned PS2's and Xbox's on people.

[quote name='Maynard']I would like to know what Gamestop you work at so I can come glitter this fucking moron.[/quote]

While you're at it, might as well throw some rubberbands in his yard.

My friend played Halo2 on his 360 for a shit long time and when he went back to playing 360 games they were screwing with his 360. Halo2 has a slower framerate then Halo3 and if he was palying Halo2 for a long time the 360 would get used to the lower framerate, so it would run low on Halo3[/quote]

[quote name='Maynard']I would like to know what Gamestop you work at so I can come glitter this fucking moron.[/quote]

you gonna rub him down in glitter lotion or something?

428.009.jpg

No. He's completely wrong.

There was a guy I knew who used to tell everyone who used their console to play DVDs that they were a moron because it was "extra wear on the system that will break it" Well why don't I just never ever use it and just leave it in the package, since all that gaming will just be extra wear on it too? Moron.

This comes down to two simple things:

1. Microsoft and Sony would not support BC at ALL if they thought it damaged the system. The legal people wouldn't let them, trust me, those legal people put in so much stuff to protect the company, they would never let something come out and stay supported if it really damaged the system. If this was true MS and Sony would probably have ripped out the BC via software update.

2. It was designed to do it. Yes, sometimes there are design flaws, but if it is designed to do it, and it stays in the system for a long time (Yes, the new PS3 is taking it out, but it is just to cut costs) it would have been fixed by now.

ANYWAYS>>>>>>>>If something happened to the 360 it was because the 360 was faulty at manufacture, caused by who knows what, but could be anything. I would bet a years salary that this isn't true (if I had a years salary that is, unless I can bet debt? Then I bet all my debt that it is true:p)

[quote name='thekeybladewars']OP, if it really clouds your mind... how about looking for an authoritative source so you can research it? You're sitting at a computer![/QUOTE]

But that would actually take effort on his part.

He's full of dog shit.

I remember when people said that playing DVDs would "wreck" your PS2.

Yeah, he pretty much is trying to push used Xbox and PS2 sales. Perhaps you guys have a load of used ones that aren't going anywhere?

All you gotta do...is ask the Sony and Microsoft reps that come into your store to service your in-store system displays. You know those nice men who come around once every month or so and give you free t-shirts?

It's their jobs to answer each and every question that pops into your head about their product, they'll just shoot an e-mail over to someone who will know if they don't already.

The manager is a dirty liar, BUT considering other things they tell customers, this might be the best piece of knowledge to come from a Gamestop employee in years.

[quote name='masterofdarkness']I'm not an idiot, I was just saying what really happened, maybe it could be his laser/diskdrive was just malfunctioning...[/quote]

Thats what she said.

The only thing I can think of, is that while playing a DVD movie, the laser may read the disc constantly (and thus be constantly moving for long periods of time), as opposed to most games reading in intervals (loading to/reading from cache).

I don't really know, though. Just an idea.

[quote name='Tsukento']Yeah, he pretty much is trying to push used Xbox and PS2 sales. Perhaps you guys have a load of used ones that aren't going anywhere?[/QUOTE]
I think the exact opposite: "Don't play those old, cheap games on your shiny new expensive hardware, kid. Buy some shiny new expensive games for it, here at GameStop!"

Newsflash: Framerate has nothing to do with disc read speed. Nothing. It's like saying if you turn down the volume on your radio the car will go faster. AC, yes. Radio, no.

OP: I advise you to be careful talking smack about managers on a message board. More people read these things than you know, and even the most careful people can paint themselves in a corner.

[quote name='captainfrizo']But that would actually take effort on his part.[/quote]

Actually that was the first thing I did, but google wouldn't turn anything up. So I wouldn't just start accusing him of things without knowing.

My friend played Halo2 on his 360 for a shit long time and when he went back to playing 360 games they were screwing with his 360. Halo2 has a slower framerate then Halo3 and if he was palying Halo2 for a long time the 360 would get used to the lower framerate, so it would run low on Halo3[/quote]

I think I'm stupider for reading this. I'm going to go out on a limb and say your profession is not something technical or scientific (no, janitorial technician does not count).

No need to keep piling on mod. He shared something he thought showed this problem but is actually just a coincidental thing. People make mistakes or come to conclusions that turn out to be bad, it's no big deal. He even came back on and accepted it.

Some have been fine with their response to the guy, others are just being dicks.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I think the exact opposite: "Don't play those old, cheap games on your shiny new expensive hardware, kid. Buy some shiny new expensive games for it, here at GameStop!"[/quote]
But some of their old games are more expensive than newer copies. :p Plus they make profit on old games. The only way they make better sales for new games is with preorders.

Though I was referring to the consoles themselves and not the games when I asked if they were flooded with 'em. :p

[quote name='wubb']No need to keep piling on mod. He shared something he thought showed this problem but is actually just a coincidental thing. People make mistakes or come to conclusions that turn out to be bad, it's no big deal. He even came back on and accepted it.

Some have been fine with their response to the guy, others are just being dicks.[/quote]

Agreed. It's a bit depressing when someone asks an honest question and they get the ol' pile-on.

full of shit, i'm sure Sony and MS enjoy damaging their systems and doing repairs

[quote name='Tsukento']But some of their old games are more expensive than newer copies. :p Plus they make profit on old games. The only way they make better sales for new games is with preorders.

Though I was referring to the consoles themselves and not the games when I asked if they were flooded with 'em. :p[/quote]

Exactly - the profit margin on used games sales is Gamestop's bread and butter.

The manager is an idiot - even if what he's saying was true he's turning away customers who want to buy his most profitable item. It's nice that he's trying to do right by the customer, but if he's going to turn away sales on principle you'd think he'd actually research his position to make sure he's correct.

[quote name='thekeybladewars']OP, if it really clouds your mind... how about looking for an authoritative source so you can research it? You're sitting at a computer![/quote]What areyou talking about? Oh, I'm sure there are tons of peer reviewed papers on the subject that are easily looked up. Get serious. This is such a dumb idea that I doubt there are many blogs (much less authoritative sources) on it. The OP wants to put an end to the retarded/false claims of his manager but wanted us to back him up before he said anything that could possibly strain relations at his job.

It would have been a lot easier for you to say "yes" or "no" than for you to type that ass-headed remark you made.

I agree with everyone else on here, OP (besides your first responder). I have no idea where this idiot got this claim from and I can't even fathom why it would even be hypothetically possible. This makes me as angry as walking into a game store and have some fanboy idiot worker spout off lies about his favorite console to some uninformed parents who are Christmas shopping.

EDIT:[quote name='camoor']Exactly - the profit margin on used games sales is Gamestop's bread and butter.

The manager is an idiot - even if what he's saying was true he's turning away customers who want to buy his most profitable item. It's nice that he's trying to do right by the customer, but if he's going to turn away sales on principle you'd think he'd actually research his position to make sure he's correct.[/quote]I wouldn't. It's a GS employee (not that all are morons, but your odds are better that they are than that they aren't).

Thanks everyone, you all have been quite helpful. I figured this would be a well informed group to ask.

The straw that broke the camels back was a couple days ago when he told a customer that the problem is so bad that sony is taking out the backwards compatibility. I flat out told him, "Thats not true. They did it to cut cost on the chips." He waved that off as only being part of the reason. uhg, he is a nice guy, bit of a PS3 fanboy, but he has a 360 as well so at least he still has both perspectives, but I just don't know where he gets some of this stuff.

[quote name='mrelusive']You mean a GS manager is spreading lies that results in LOWER sales?![/quote]
We're all here, aren't we?

[quote name='wubb']No need to keep piling on mod. He shared something he thought showed this problem but is actually just a coincidental thing. People make mistakes or come to conclusions that turn out to be bad, it's no big deal. He even came back on and accepted it.

Some have been fine with their response to the guy, others are just being dicks.[/quote]

I think you might have misread this thread... no one jumped on the mod but on one of the first responses that was absolutely ridiculous.

I have a PS3, but no PS3 games. I have over 100 unopened ps2 games, and the other 130 opened ps2 games play perfectly fine on the PS3. (I have made an oath to not pay more than $20.00 for games. When the ps3 games drop in price i will pick them up, but i am in no rush, and enjoy the ps3 demo games quite a lot, and still have lots of ps2 games to play.) The backward compatibility is so important to me that Sony forced my hand when they stopped making the 60GB, and i do not want stacks of consoles in my living room.

With the radiioshack ps2 usb adapter, i even have virbration in all my PS2 games on the ps3. Not only do they play, but a lot of the games play much more smoothly than on the PS2, as they are upscaled to 720p and run at 60 fps. (Regarding software emulation, just check out SSX on the sony compatiblity page. no ssx games work without the emotion engine chip, last time i checked.) The reason sony wants to drop backward compatilbity is so people will be forced to buy PS3 games now, not continue to buy cheap ps2 games (like me and other CAGs).

Also, now they are re-selling ps1 games on their playstation store on the PS3. If they drop backward compatibility, they can resell ps2 games on a future console. It is amazing to me how these companies first state that backward compatiblity is not important to users (e.g. "vibration is very distracting"), then try to sell them classic games, like they are the coolest thing. It is a bit hypocritcal. I don't expect CDs that i bought 15 years ago to stop working on a new CD/DVD player, and i expect the same long term functionality from my ps1 and ps2 games. (And i sure as heck aint going to buy them again. Are they shaq-fu crazy?)

Lastly, i agree, unfortunately, that gamestop employees often push their favorite consoles, or make the unfavored ones seem bad. (The best example of this was when i bought gran tourismo 3 from gamestop, and the xbox-infatuated employee insisted that it would format my memory card erasing existing game saves, and that i needed to get a new, separate memory card for Gran Tourismo 3.)

Backward compatibility. It is not a feature, it is a inalienable right, like freedom of speech! Okay, maybe not, but it is very cool, and far from damaging the console, is one of the best features of Playstation consoles.....or used to be.

[quote name='wolfboy68']Backward compatibility. It is not a feature, it is a inalienable right, like freedom of speech! Okay, maybe not, but it is very cool, and far from damaging the console, is one of the best features of Playstation consoles.....or used to be.[/quote]

:) Well said.

I can't tell you all the PC games that I wish I could play but can't due to BC issues.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']I think you might have misread this thread... no one jumped on the mod but on one of the first responses that was absolutely ridiculous.[/quote]Actually, you may have misread common sense. The OP=/= mod. wubb didn't want to type out the whole name. mod == masterofdarkness. And wubb is right. I wanted to smack the guy after I read his post. But then I read all of the redundant over-criticisms of him and I wanted to smack the people being critical of him.

Make a mental note: Most people abbreviate names when they get ridiculously long.

[quote name='wolfboy68']Also, now they are re-selling ps1 games on their playstation store on the PS3. If they drop backward compatibility, they can resell ps2 games on a future console. It is amazing to me how these companies first state that backward compatiblity is not important to users (e.g. "vibration is very distracting"), then try to sell them classic games, like they are the coolest thing. It is a bit hypocritcal. I don't expect CDs that i bought 15 years ago to stop working on a new CD/DVD player, and i expect the same long term functionality from my ps1 and ps2 games. (And i sure as heck aint going to buy them again. Are they shaq-fu crazy?)[/quote]
I find it funny that when the PS3 first came out, Sony stupidly claimed the PS3 was more backwards compatible than the Wii was (dunno how you can top 100%). Then came the angry reports of PS3 NOT being fully BC and that games were getting a ton of errors when trying to play them on the PS3. So Sony then issues a firmware update to fix that. Now they're removing the BC.

Way to knee the people in the groins.

bread's done
Back