Is now a good time to get rid of our Premium system 360?

X-Factor

CAGiversary!
I just bought a new premium system 360 but now I just found out that a new XBox 360, codenamed Zephyr, is in the works. :bomb:

Should I get rid of this 360 now in anticipation of the new console? If the rumors are true the value of present 360s will diminish very quickly.

I called up eBGames and they said the trade in for a premium system 360 is $170 just for the system and they add to that amount for accessories and parts individually.

I haven't even had a chance to play my 360 for more than 3 hours total cause of reading week, and midterms coming up. This news is terrible if the rumors are true. I definitely wouldn't double dip and buy 2 different 360s given the current costs.

If you are a technology whore than maybe, but otherwise there really is no point. Especially since the new one (whenever it comes out) will cost more anyway. Besides the only real new feature is the hdmi, which unless you have an expensive hdtv is useless.

No.
1. It's a rumour.
2. The only things you'll get in the rumoured system is a larger hard drive (which you can replace your current one with), HDMI (which you need the wires and input on your TV for), and a quieter/more efficient processor.

The quiter/more efficient processor was announced long ago and we still haven't seen it come out. As for the other two... you decide if it's that important that you're willing to lose $330 on it. I don't think I'd be able to tell the different between HDMI and Component that much. And even if so, I want the HDMI input for the PS3 if I get one and my TV only has one HDMI port.

I just got scammed on eBay when buying a PS3 off there, hopefully I will get reimbursed and all my money back in return because the seller somehow managed to lock me out of my paypal account by changing my password.

There are also rumors regarding a new slimmer PS3 will come out within 1-2 years so it looks i'll have to put off buying a PS3 until then knowing that a better version will eventually come out.

I played Gears of Wars for 3 hours and was disappointed so I just packed up my 360 since I only have 1 standard TV to use and my TV housing unit is occupied by my PS2, wii and DVD player.

360 without an HDTV is really limited. And that means the HDMI output the rumoured revision will have is moot. Seriously, don't care about console revisions. They almost never do anything worthwhile. Just smaller casing.

If you DO decide to get rid of it, don't give it to EB. That would just be silly. Private buyers would pay close to double what EB would pay...

They should allow previous version owners of the 360 to trade them in for a minimal fee and get the new version (if it is actually going to be made).

[quote name='imcrazy']If you are a technology whore than maybe, but otherwise there really is no point. Especially since the new one (whenever it comes out) will cost more anyway. Besides the only real new feature is the hdmi, which unless you have an expensive hdtv is useless.[/quote]

I really love the words you use LMAO they crack me up, yeah I dont see much difference then the HDMI and the loudness and other crap we dont care about, anyways I had an idea if you have a old 360 and bought it at FS you might be able to take advantage of you warrarnty if you bought one there and get the new system if the old one breaks?????

[quote name='Sejad']I really love the words you use LMAO they crack me up, yeah I dont see much difference then the HDMI and the loudness and other crap we dont care about, anyways I had an idea if you have a old 360 and bought it at FS you might be able to take advantage of you warrarnty if you bought one there and get the new system if the old one breaks?????[/quote]

no the was FS warrenty works is they send it out to be repaired if that takes longer than 6 weeks you can get a new on free of charge but it voids your warrentee...

[quote name='thebob101']They should allow previous version owners of the 360 to trade them in for a minimal fee and get the new version (if it is actually going to be made).[/quote]

Oh c'mon, be real here.

Would Nintendo give you a refund everytime they put a new style of the Gameboy/DS out? They'd be dead.

[quote name='X-Factor']I just got scammed on eBay when buying a PS3 off there, hopefully I will get reimbursed and all my money back in return because the seller somehow managed to lock me out of my paypal account by changing my password.

There are also rumors regarding a new slimmer PS3 will come out within 1-2 years so it looks i'll have to put off buying a PS3 until then knowing that a better version will eventually come out.

I played Gears of Wars for 3 hours and was disappointed so I just packed up my 360 since I only have 1 standard TV to use and my TV housing unit is occupied by my PS2, wii and DVD player.[/quote]
wow man, youve had really shitty luck. PayPal sucks, they dont give a shit about customers. Only way youre getting your money back is to constantly be on their ass about it. Make sure they never forget. Persistance is the only thing they understand.

if you have a SDTV you really shouldnt worry about the new 360. if the rumours are true, it will have a bigger HDD (which unless you have Fiber internet, isnt gunna make a diff) and HDMI (which you dont need since you have a SDTV). the CPU will also be shrunk. which doesnt mean its any faster or better. just that it wont use as much electricity. And you dont need HDMI unless you have a 1080p HDTV which run around 2+ grand for good ones now & a HD-DVD player which you plan on using a lot.

read:

http://hometheatermag.com/gearworks/1106gear/

http://hometheatermag.com/hookmeup/107hook/

if i were you i would just keep it, and wait for whatever game you are really psyched for. prolly halo 3. fall 2007. if you sell it for $170, then rebuy it for $400 again, you end up spending $630. way too much for a 360

Thanks for the advice. The "seller" claimed that someone stole his eBay account and posted items that he was unaware of and that "someone else" also took over 1000 $ out of his paypal account. The fucking guy somehow managed to delete the item listing as payment was being made but luckily paypal says they still have access to the deleted item listing but I can no longer see it on "my Ebay".

I looked at some of his previously sold items which include undetectable license plate covers that block flash from traffic cameras to avoid speeding tickets.

Paypal better lay down the law and hopefully take legal action on this guy or I will be so pissed off.

Wait, I read on IGN (I think) that they were going to release an xbox 360 that uses a cooler and smaller chipset. Maybe that is what OP is thinking about?

[quote name='X-Factor']I looked at some of his previously sold items which include undetectable license plate covers that block flash from traffic cameras to avoid speeding tickets.[/quote]

I could use something like this. Do these actually work?

[quote name='X-Factor']I just got scammed on eBay when buying a PS3 off there, hopefully I will get reimbursed and all my money back in return because the seller somehow managed to lock me out of my paypal account by changing my password.

I played Gears of Wars for 3 hours and was disappointed so I just packed up my 360 since I only have 1 standard TV to use and my TV housing unit is occupied by my PS2, wii and DVD player.[/quote]

propeller_head is right keep at it keep bugging them untill you get your cash back, btw you can get your pass back thru your email, if he hacked your email and ebay/paypal that would SUCK majorly.

[quote name='X-Factor']Paypal better lay down the law and hopefully take legal action on this guy or I will be so pissed off.[/quote]

Always make PayPal payments using your credit card. It's much easier, and more likely, to have your credit card company reverse the PayPal charges than having PayPal actually getting any of their, and thus your, money back.

Nobody wants the new XBOX360 more than I. My sweet ass HDTV only got a conponent input and both my dvd player/5.1 surround sound and XBOX360 use conponent. With HDMI I can connect both of them to the HDTV. Plus, I only got 3GB of free space left from my 20GB hardrive. After yea download a couple of demos you'll run out of free space, 128GB hardrive would be sweet.

After I get the new Xbox360 I can sell the one I have right now for a cheap price of $300 which includes controller, need for speed carbon, top spin 2, conponent OR VGA cable(which I bought $50 each), 20GB hardrive which I bought for $129.99, and power adaptor.

im pretty sure they will come out with some special hdmi cable for the 360

I doubt it. So far everything that has come out of that port has been analog of some form. I think it may need some internal hardware change to output in a digital form.

I have read some comments that say that the multi-out is capable of outputting a digital signal, but I wouldn't consider any of those sources reliable. If the MO was capable of outputting a digital signal, then why would they only have a vga cable now? What do they have to gain by not offering a DVI cable?

I can see them not including HDMI/HDCP due to licensing costs, and the fact that it a standard in limbo (especially 2 years ago when they were finalizing hardware), but I don't see why they would hold back on DVI unless the MO is not currently capable of it.

This is just my opinion. I still haven't seen any hard facts on the topic.

O/T:
Including a new version of the CPU and quieter drive is not a big deal to me. the PS1 and PS2 went through many revisions, getting cooler, quieter, and smaller. But I worry that upgrading the display capabilities in a rev change may open the floodgates for incremental h/w upgrades on consoles. Once of the main reasons I prefere console gameing, is that I don't have to worry about upgrading my system more than once in 4~5 years. Hopefully this doesn't change that....

~S

EB Games has a SKU # in their system for an "Xbox 360 Spring Bundle". I was told that it should be in-store sometime this week, if not by next Monday.

No idea what's in the bundle, which is frustrating as my own 360 died on me last night & I can pickup a replacement under their warranty plan. Really wish I knew what was in that new bundle, as it would tell me if I should wait for that one or just get the holiday bundle.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']I doubt it. So far everything that has come out of that port has been analog of some form. I think it may need some internal hardware change to output in a digital form.

I have read some comments that say that the multi-out is capable of outputting a digital signal, but I wouldn't consider any of those sources reliable. If the MO was capable of outputting a digital signal, then why would they only have a vga cable now? What do they have to gain by not offering a DVI cable?

I can see them not including HDMI/HDCP due to licensing costs, and the fact that it a standard in limbo (especially 2 years ago when they were finalizing hardware), but I don't see why they would hold back on DVI unless the MO is not currently capable of it.

This is just my opinion. I still haven't seen any hard facts on the topic.

O/T:
Including a new version of the CPU and quieter drive is not a big deal to me. the PS1 and PS2 went through many revisions, getting cooler, quieter, and smaller. But I worry that upgrading the display capabilities in a rev change may open the floodgates for incremental h/w upgrades on consoles. Once of the main reasons I prefere console gameing, is that I don't have to worry about upgrading my system more than once in 4~5 years. Hopefully this doesn't change that....

~S[/quote]

well the situation is kinda convoluted. it does output digital, just audio not video. MS has also said it was designed to be HDMI nascent. HDMI 1.3 wasnt finalized until the summer after the 360 was released and didnt even start showing up till around the PS3 launch.

i'm guessing thats what they were waiting for. either they're devising some sort of kludge or there will be a seperate HDMI port. im guessing the later, since thats where all the leaks seem to be pointing. and i doubt a kludge could accuratly meet the HDMI 1.3 standard unless MS can pull off some voodoo magic.

but if MS is telling the truth, the 360 has the engineering in place since day 1 to use HDMI, the HDMI commission just hadnt finalized the standard.

To be HDCP compliant takes more than just money.

A chip is required both on the receiving monitor/tv as well as the video processing/output device. So both your 360 and your TV would have to have a HDCP chip installed before you could play an HDCP-compliant video or movie.

Many TVs have these chips. The Xbox 360 does not. So if Microsoft really did go with an HDMI interface on the 360, they'd either have to include the chip on a new revision of the console (which means existing 360s could never be HDCP compliant) or they would have to include the chip on the HDMI cable (which would force people into buying Microsoft-only HDMI cables. Not that much of an issue for the 360 right now, just means bad news for Madcatz & Pelican :p)

[quote name='Caster13']Always make PayPal payments using your credit card. It's much easier, and more likely, to have your credit card company reverse the PayPal charges than having PayPal actually getting any of their, and thus your, money back.[/quote]
I called TD Canada Trust and they said it's a Paypal problem so I have to run it through them first and that they couldn't reverse that charge, until the case is over with. The morons at Paypal said there wasn't any unauthorized use, so I have to file the case as a non-receipt item instead. But TD said if Paypal doesn't do anything about it, then I can try filing a complaint with TD afterwards so hopefully it gets sorted out soon.

Keep calling Paypal over and over. They pull this shit all the time to avoid liability. They have to help you.

I see no good reason to get rid of my 360. It's worth the minus $100 you'll get in trade for a year or two's worth of gaming.

[quote name='X-Factor']I called TD Canada Trust and they said it's a Paypal problem so I have to run it through them first and that they couldn't reverse that charge, until the case is over with. The morons at Paypal said there wasn't any unauthorized use, so I have to file the case as a non-receipt item instead. But TD said if Paypal doesn't do anything about it, then I can try filing a complaint with TD afterwards so hopefully it gets sorted out soon.[/quote]

Search CAG for "Paypal Better Business Bureau" or something. I heard compalining to the BBB has gotten lots of CAGs their money back.

[quote name='X-Factor']I called TD Canada Trust and they said it's a Paypal problem so I have to run it through them first and that they couldn't reverse that charge, until the case is over with. The morons at Paypal said there wasn't any unauthorized use, so I have to file the case as a non-receipt item instead. But TD said if Paypal doesn't do anything about it, then I can try filing a complaint with TD afterwards so hopefully it gets sorted out soon.[/quote]
http://www.paypalsucks.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1254&fid=3&block=0

[quote name='Firestorm']Search CAG for "Paypal Better Business Bureau" or something. I heard compalining to the BBB has gotten lots of CAGs their money back.[/quote]
x2

bread's done
Back