Is Paying for Anti-Virus Software a Good Idea?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Background: I was having a ton of computer problems with my Dell Inspiron laptop (freezing to eventual crashing and tons of disc scans and errors, etc). Anyway, I was able to do a factory restore from the image of the computer that was on a partition on my hard drive so I basically have a new computer running only Windows Vista. Everything seems to be working fine and I have noticed a huge jump in speed (web pages are loading instantaneously).

All of my files, settings, etc. are gone (I backed them up) but basically the computer is exactly like it was when I bought it - except for one thing - no anti-virus software! I keep getting a pop up from the McAfee program that came with the computer saying my license expired in 2010 but I can renew it. Should I? What do you guys normally do?

Personally, I've always used free AV software. Until recently, I'd use AVG Free, but in recent years it has become a resource hog with questionable effectiveness. Right now, I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to perform better.

I'll let others chime in on paid options. The only thing I've heard is to avoid Norton like the plague.

As someone who works in IT, please stay very far away from McAfee. I'm not particularly fond of Symantec, however it's better in the last couple editions than its old ones. When I rebuild computers for people, I'll generally throw on a paid version of ESET. Mainly since the free versions don't have quite as good 'on-the-fly' coverage of premium versions. Though these people are usually the ones that don't have good internet habits and don't realize I know more about them through their computer than anybody else they know. Oh god I know far much more than I ever want to know about some people...

You'll likely find a lot of people here say "Go with the free version, they're fine!" Ultimately it depends on how smart of a browser/downloader you are on the internet. If you're very internet smart you can live with just a firewall and if you're just a bit savvy, you can live with a free AV. Then of course if you're not internet smart at all, get a premium and if you're internet stupid... there is no amount of anti-virus that can save you. (I'm probably a bit jaded due to servicing so many incredibly stupid people that you would think would only exist in mythology or legend.)

Also with laptops, always, ALWAYS have your firewall up (even if it's just windows firewall) when you're in public places. This is a setting that can be changed to always be on for public but off for home/work/domain.

EDIT: Your best bet is to actually create a second user account on your laptop and use a free anti-virus. The first one is the administrator account and can do everything, which you will only use to install programs and what not. The second one should be the 'user' account that cannot install programs that you would use on a normal basis. It's something I also highly recommend on top of making sure you have a firewall up in public places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like TheLongshot, I've used AVG free for years with no problems, then I started seeing the resource hogging and switched to MSE. No complaints at all....and I've been to some shady corners of the internet.

I think I used Avast for about a month inbetween AVG and MSE. Meh *shrugs*. MSE works just fine.

(note: I also have Dell Insiprons - one running Vista, the other Win 7; MSE is on both, for about a year now)

Like Draekon stated..it's on you. If you are vigilant and a 'power user' and/or IT guy/girl then you don't need to buy Anti-Virus.

Avast has been the golden for awhile now.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Personally, I've always used free AV software. Until recently, I'd use AVG Free, but in recent years it has become a resource hog with questionable effectiveness. Right now, I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and it seems to perform better.

I'll let others chime in on paid options. The only thing I've heard is to avoid Norton like the plague.[/QUOTE]

Same here - I have used paid ones in the past and have never been impressed, a lot of the time you're paying for extras you don't need or want.

I recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials for virus scanning. It is very lightweight and has never let me down. In addition to that, I recommend running malwarebytes, which is on sale for $14 on Newegg right now with promo code EMCNHJN42.

[quote name='runsongas']avast and mse are usually good enough. If you want to buy an AV, wait for newegg to put nod32 on sale.[/QUOTE]

Nod32 does not run well with games. Keep that in mind. Not sure if they patched it but it was a wreck when last I check 4 months back.

Avast and zenok free antivirus are usually good enough and they are for free. In 2012 the viruses have been spreading almost everywhere so it’s a must to download and install a good security program.

It all depends on what you are using the computer for. If you do lots of downloading or visiting sites that may not be well secured, then I would suggest atleast getting an antivirus with some sort of behavior based detection/blocking ability. If minimal on downloading/visiting sites that may be unknown far as security then any of the free antivirus solutions such as avast or avg should work fairly well.

bread's done
Back