Is Peace Walker a good entry point to the Metal Gear Series?

K

KornKid91

I've been wanting to get into the metal gear series, but I'm not sure where to begin. I don't know if I should start with Twin Snakes, Snake eater or another title in the series.

Peace Walker just came out and has been getting alot of rave reviews and amazon is having a sale right now so I'm a little tempted.

Would I be confused storyline wise if I just started playing Peace Walker? If so what game would be a better entry point into the series

Absolutely Twin Snakes. If you're going to get into the series, why not start with the first? In any case, I think it's held up well and it'll definitely clue you in as to whether or not you'll be interested in the overall story.

Thanks for the advice I'll have to be on the lookout for copies of twin snakes

You don't necessarily need to play Twin Snakes, the original PS1 MGS is fantastic. I just played it for the first time earlier this year, and despite being made over 10 years ago it holds up amazingly well. I heard the Twin Snakes mucked some stuff up, but can't say from personal experience. I would say Snake Eater would be a good entry point as well, but it is much more refined than MGS1 and 2, so it'd probably make playing 1 and 2 less than ideal.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Don't get Twin Snakes as your first Metal Gear. Try and get the box set if you can still find it.[/QUOTE]

This is a good idea if you have a PS2. I've seen the box set at a local walmart for $20.

My vote would be to start with the first Metal Gear Solid, then move on to 3, peace walker, 2, and finally 4. I've haven't played peace walker yet, but I've heard that its set chronologically after 3, which is set before Metal Gear Solid. Metal Gear Solid isn't the first in the series chronologically, but I think it does a good job of getting the player into the MGS universe.

As a big Metal Gear fan, I'd say you should play the games in the order they were released. Even though they are out of chronological order in terms of the story, there are always little things that are said or done or alluded to that you won't truly appreciate, because you didn't play the previous games. This is especially true for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, which is the first prequel in the series. There are a lot of allusions to the things that are going to happen in the future of the timeline.

Man...I wish I could go back and get in your shoes...it's like meeting someone who hasn't ever seen Star Wars...definitely grab the box set - it's fairly cheap, and will keep you entertained for a good long while!!!

I started in Snake Eater. After going through the rest of the series I can say that there really wasn't much in there that didn't make any sense even though I hadn't played any of the earlier games up to that point. I've haven't gotten to Peace Walker yet, but I'd definitely recommend MGS1 or MGS3 as a good entry point.

[quote name='Mixer236']I started in Snake Eater. After going through the rest of the series I can say that there really wasn't much in there that didn't make any sense even though I hadn't played any of the earlier games up to that point. I've haven't gotten to Peace Walker yet, but I'd definitely recommend MGS1 or MGS3 as a good entry point.[/QUOTE]

The story makes sense, but you miss out on a ton of nods to the fans. Kojima loves doing stuff like that, and if you play the games in order, you can appreciate them so much more.

No.

Definitely start with Twin Snakes (or get the original version of MGS on PS Network for $6 if you want to experience it in the old school way).

Then I would suggest playing 3, PO, and PW, which is a prequel series.

Then 2 and finally 4.

Or you could just go with order of release if you want.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']As a big Metal Gear fan, I'd say you should play the games in the order they were released. Even though they are out of chronological order in terms of the story, there are always little things that are said or done or alluded to that you won't truly appreciate, because you didn't play the previous games. This is especially true for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, which is the first prequel in the series. There are a lot of allusions to the things that are going to happen in the future of the timeline.[/QUOTE]

I have no need to post, he has done my job.

But if I do have to put in my 2 cents in the matter, Go Metal Gear Solid, MGS 2, MSG Twin Snakes(optional), MGS 3, Portable Ops, MGS 4, & then Peacewalker(the true sequel to MGS 3)

Even though MG 1,2(can be found on MGS3S second disc, not part of the MGS collection for some reason) are cannon, you really don't need to play them because they tell you about them. Also Gametrailers.com has a great retrospective on all the games so you can learn the story from there.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The story makes sense, but you miss out on a ton of nods to the fans. Kojima loves doing stuff like that, and if you play the games in order, you can appreciate them so much more.[/QUOTE]

True... Though I do know I myself would have never given Metal Gear a fair chance had I started out with MGS1/Twin Snakes. Something about Snake Eater just "clicked" with me. To this date it's still in my top 5 favorite games of all time.

bread's done
Back