Is Rez price a temporary spike?

Brian234

CAGiversary!
I've noticed PS2 Rez going for around $80 on Ebay. Kind of high for my taste but I totally respect it since it's obviously in low supply and high demand.

I'm curious though, is that price just a temporary spike, or has it been going for around that price for a long time?

Its been above 50 for a long time. It might be getting a temp spike because of Tax refunds though. I havent been following it lately so I dont really know

Unless they rerelease (highly unlikely) you won't do much better than on ebay than it currently is. Me, I picked it up at Gamestop complete & mint for $27. Unfortunately I wasnt' one of the 6 people that got it for $5 from CC.

Another option is to go to your local Gamecrazy and have them do a special order for it. You pay $6 down and then they will locate the game within their stock nationwide for you. I recently placed $6 down for Rez a few days ago and also specified that I will only take it complete. The total cost of the game: $34.99 :)

The manager at my local Gamecrazy was very familiar with ordering this game because he stated that I'm the second person doing a special order for this game at his store. He said my chances in getting a complete copy are more than likely too :) The search can take up to 2 weeks though.

Another option is to get the Japanese version of the game which goes for around $39 (since it is a Greatest Hit in Japan) Play Asia has it in stock

Mine went for $112.50! :D

I think it might level out somewhat, and stick around $60 eventually. But what the hell do I know?

[quote name='Joe Fongul']Another option is to go to your local Gamecrazy and have them do a special order for it. You pay $6 down and then they will locate the game within their stock nationwide for you. I recently placed $6 down for Rez a few days ago and also specified that I will only take it complete. The total cost of the game: $34.99 :)

The manager at my local Gamecrazy was very familiar with ordering this game because he stated that I'm the second person doing a special order for this game at his store. He said my chances in getting a complete copy are more than likely too :) The search can take up to 2 weeks though.

Another option is to get the Japanese version of the game which goes for around $39 (since it is a Greatest Hit in Japan) Play Asia has it in stock[/QUOTE]

No offense, but if you honestly you're gonna get one, good luck. Far too often, Gamestop workers magically "lose" copies of REZ, Suikoden II, and IQ...

^^-- special orders at GameCrazy for Rez? I never heard of that.. also.. I think Rez has always been around that high.. every time I search for it on Ebay.

I called GameCrazy, and indeed as Joe said, for $6 down they will look for a copy. The salesman said it might be 6-8 weeks, but if they can't find it, you get your money back. I just might do that as I'm not willing to spend the going rate on Ebay.

[quote name='Jrunt20x']No offense, but if you honestly you're gonna get one, good luck. Far too often, Gamestop workers magically "lose" copies of REZ, Suikoden II, and IQ...[/QUOTE]

They also tend to "lose" copies of Gitaroo Man... :whistle2:--)

The thing I don't get is how does a game which can be pirated so easily maintain such a high value?

I mean even if you don't have a dreamcast you can get one for like $20.

[quote name='chunk']The thing I don't get is how does a game which can be pirated so easily maintain such a high value?

I mean even if you don't have a dreamcast you can get one for like $20.[/QUOTE]

We're talking about the PS2 version....

[quote name='chunk']The thing I don't get is how does a game which can be pirated so easily maintain such a high value?

I mean even if you don't have a dreamcast you can get one for like $20.[/QUOTE]

If people want to just play this game they can also get the much cheaper Japanese or PAL version. Just about any rare game (suikoden 2) can be pirated, but a backup has no value.

[quote name='Jrunt20x']No offense, but if you honestly you're gonna get one, good luck. Far too often, Gamestop workers magically "lose" copies of REZ, Suikoden II, and IQ...[/QUOTE]

I got my copy of Suikoden II for about $30 from using the gamecrazy special order program...

$80 seems to be the going rate nowadays, to buy it for over $100 is just plain stupid or the person has lots of money to burn. I can't fathom how someone would drop $100 just like that.

Does gamestop do special orders?

I have an unmodded PS2 (new slimline). Would the legal Japanese version work in my unit? I assume it wouldn't.

[quote name='cag1000']I still have my sealed copy
I wanna play it though[/QUOTE]

It's an okay game, but definitely not worth the high price. I'd sell your copy, and pick up the DC version, or import, if you really want to play it...

lol the funny thing is, at the Gamestop's in my area I've found all three of those games no problem. In fact, the employees won't even pay the high used prices for those games, since GS charges 44.99 I believe for IQ (at least that was the price before discounts, about a year ago).

Most employees I've met in the many years are absoulutely clueless when it comes to next gen rarity's, or hell, even any game's rarity. They thought I was insane for getting a 35 dollar used playstation game (Suikoden 2) and kept asking me why I'd pay so much for an old game, espically one that's 2D. They thought it was a pricing error on the company's part, and almost shit themselves when I told them how much it went for on Ebay.

Besides IQ, Suikoden 2, and Rez, I've also snagged cheap copies of Tomba, Guilty Gear, Klonoa, I passed on a few Valkyrie Profile's since I own it, a copy of Tactics Ogre I regret not getting (I was broke), and last but not least: a 20 dollar copy of Rhapsody for ps one, an early PS One SRPG that goes for 80-90 on Ebay.

About Rez... I had a copy once, and traded in to Gamestop. Got it for very very cheap (20 bucks, I think), and I got the same amount back in credit. The game was fun, but it was one of those things, imo, that you experience, and then hardly ever play again. No way I would ever ever ever pay over 40 dollars for it, tops.

I don't feel bad for trading it in since I broke even, and now some lucky gamer got the chance to try it out for cheap, instead of paying some insane price on Ebay. I've heard rumors of a re-release for years now... if Sega did that, sales would flow in like water simply because of it's "rarity value".

[quote name='Roufuss']lI don't feel bad for trading it in since I broke even, and now some lucky gamer got the chance to try it out for cheap, instead of paying some insane price on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

Now if only more people would have this same mentality. Then maybe I could get a chance to play it. :)

[quote name='Brian234']I have an unmodded PS2 (new slimline). Would the legal Japanese version work in my unit? I assume it wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

A couple of years ago, I recall a REZ fan on Gamefaqs posting about how the Japanese GH (or 'The Best') REZ was region free and in English. That might be worth looking into.

bread's done
Back