Is stereotyping wrong?

Stereotypes in general are not "wrong" because it's based on the truth. Howevr, forming an opinion on something based on a stereotype instead of your own thoughts is wrong, generally, IMO. In some instances I think it is OK though like when looking for terrorists or something involving public safety.

Well, seeing your location is in Texas, I can understand you not knowing stereotyping is wrong because you are a dumbshit hillbilly redneck cowfucker. I hope your beat up truck blows up and the tightness of your Wranglers cut off the blood supply to your testicles, thus preventing the future from ever being contaminated with your inbred country offspring. Please build a wall around your state so none of your ignorant cornfed racism escapes to the general public.

Think about it.

Dave Olson

[quote name='MightySlacker']Well, seeing your location is in Texas, I can understand you not knowing stereotyping is wrong because you are a dumbshit hillbilly redneck cowfucker. I hope your beat up truck blows up and the tightness of your Wranglers cut off the blood supply to your testicles, thus preventing the future from ever being contaminated with your inbred country offspring.

Think about it.

Dave Olson[/quote]

whatever dave from cali! go back to surfing at the beach! we're sick of your zack morris good looks and you hollywood haircut!

hang ten duder! ^^

As Javeryh stated; Sterotypes became stereotypes because they were based on a degree of truth, as hard as it is to admit. The problem comes in making decisions based on paranoia brought upon by stereotypes and, thusly, being discriminatory against another human based on their religion/sex/race etc.

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='MightySlacker']Well, seeing your location is in Texas, I can understand you not knowing stereotyping is wrong because you are a dumbshit hillbilly redneck cowfucker. I hope your beat up truck blows up and the tightness of your Wranglers cut off the blood supply to your testicles, thus preventing the future from ever being contaminated with your inbred country offspring.

Think about it.

Dave Olson[/quote]

whatever dave from cali! go back to surfing at the beach! we're sick of your zack morris good looks and you hollywood haircut!

hang ten duder! ^^[/quote]

And you, Go back to riding buffalos and eating buffalo wings while tlaking on a cellphone! Pfft, :roll: typical New Yorker. :roll: :p

yes and no. if you say one and say it with the intent of being demeaning then yes it is wrong but if you are not and just repeating it or making a joke in goodheartness then no it is not wrong there is a big gray area however.

[quote name='punqsux']

oh man you got us down!

[quote name='MightySlacker']Well, seeing your location is in Texas, I can understand you not knowing stereotyping is wrong because you are a dumbshit hillbilly redneck cowfucker. I hope your beat up truck blows up and the tightness of your Wranglers cut off the blood supply to your testicles, thus preventing the future from ever being contaminated with your inbred country offspring. Please build a wall around your state so none of your ignorant cornfed racism escapes to the general public.

Think about it.

Dave Olson[/quote]

:rofl: :applause:

Stereotypes are a blanket solution that avoids the difficulty of exercising any real judgement. I've jokingly shouted, "You stupid stereoype!" at an Asian woman whose attempt to enter a plainly marked exit at speed would have caused me great harmed if I'd hit the brakes a second but I'm not going to go through life assuming every Asian woman I meet is a lousy driver.

Some things embed themselves deeper in memory than others. Some people think they've had a psychic experience because person called them on the phone just as they were thinking of that person. Never mind the hundreds of time that person might have called that were unexpected and left no lasting memory of surprise. Likewise, it's one thing to avoid the most crime ridden section of a city but another to assume every resident you meet from that area is going to cut your throat if you turn your back on them. It only takes a small chunk of a population to make for frightening statistics.

There is nothing wrong with a stereotype, since they usually are based on truth or at least experiences that have actually happened to you. It's basically a psychological thing that everyone does to some degree. They can only be bad when you actually go harm a group of people just because a stereotyp when you know nothing abou that person/people personally. Keep up the stereotype jokes though they're funny, especially the one about Texas

[quote name='iheartmetal'][quote name='punqsux']

oh man you got us down![/quote]

damn punqsux you really did hit the nail on the head. who says stereotypes are all bad? I like my zack morris good looks.

Stereotypes hurt, especially when everyone thinks I'm fat because I can't control my eating habits. Ever stop to think that maybe I have a glandular problems or...Yippee! My pizzas are here and it's late-night snack time! Gotta go

[quote name='jbroush99']Stereotypes hurt, especially when everyone thinks I'm fat because I can't control my eating habits. Ever stop to think that maybe I have a glandular problems or...Yippee! My pizzas are here and it's late-night snack time! Gotta go[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: Glandular problems eh?

sterotyping is on some sort of truth.. like oh i play video games im fat and i have no life and when i go to the outside world i can't tell if that mushroom will give me an extra life or not..

actually i think sterotyping is funny cause since we're all different some of it is true.. its just not all or it's some overexgerrated truth because you see one person doing it.. its like to them THEY represent their entrie kind of people

sterotyping isn't wrong to me...it's kind of funny to see everyone represented in some kind of exaggerated way...it's wrong if you CAN'T laugh at it sometimes

I believe in alot of stereotypes and i absolutely hate overbearing political correctness. Stereotypes are not unbreakable laws by any stretch, just observations. I also find it funny how some of the same people that are offended by negative Stereotypes take pride in positive ones.

I think the problem with stereotypes is that they are takenway to seriously. They basically should just be funny little observations that hold true more often than not, but get taken way too far and end up applying to all members of a particular race, religion, etc.
Funny thought is that I live up to all the typical white guy stereotypes. I listen to Elvis, wear a button up shirt most of the time, and drive with my car seat almost all the way up and both hands on the wheel...

[quote name='ww3676']Funny thought is that I live up to all the typical white guy stereotypes. I listen to Elvis, wear a button up shirt most of the time, and drive with my car seat almost all the way up and both hands on the wheel...[/quote]

White people drive like THIS

Black people drive like THIS

/simpsons

Also, it's really amusing how empty-headed some of you people are.

Stereotypes are prejudgements made about a group while u a person is observing a few members of a group. The problem is that these stereotypes are used to discriminate. You are goin to find at least one person in every observable group with a specific characteristic.

bread's done
Back