Is surround sound truely worth it to a gamer?

That's a good point that many people don't realize; "cheapass" doesn't necessarily mean "spending the least", to me. It means "getting the most for your money". Some things are worth spending a little more for initially, because they're better quality, or will last longer. Obviously the true cheapass then tries to get that thing for the best price he possibly can. I wouldn't call someone who spends 200$ on a Durabrand HTiB a "cheapass" in the good way. I've learned my lesson, sometimes the cheapest is actually the most expensive.

Yep. I approach it the same way. The key is to get the most for your money. It's fine to pay the least you can for a game or movie etc. as it's the same regardless. When it comes to things like TVs, audio set ups, housing, cars, it's often worth it to not go cheap and find the best bang you can get in your budget.

And I agree that being a true cheap ass can be a bad thing. There's been some friends I've left behind as I got older and made more money as they just remained cheap asses and were never up for (or bitched about price repeatedly) a movie or concert or nice meal out or evening out at a place with good (but pricey) beer etc.

I guess I'd say being thrifty and trying to get the most bang from your buckvis a good thing and a quality I respect. Being a pure tightwad that's never willing to shell out some cash to enjoy things is not--at least to me. *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WormFOODx']That's funny, I have that too! It's fantastic!

I did have to get an optical splitter for it tho so I could have 2 toslink cables hooked up to it. Splitter almost broke my bank at $2 at monoprice.com.[/QUOTE]

What are optical splitters and how hard is it to set up?

To those talking about things being a long term investment and don't be a cheapass I completely agree. Problem is that iv never experienced playing a game on surround sound and dont want to plunk down $500 for something that I dont know if I will feel is worth that much to me. If I knew it was going to make a big difference and knew I could spend a few hundred and get something that would last 10 years id be cool with that.

Hey OP,
It doesn't look like this set comes with a receiver. You will need that. And I think those look like they are made for a computer. Is this for a computer? Do you have the appropriate sound card for 5.1 or 7.1? And yes, 5.1+ is definitely worth it.

Since it seems like you're in no rush, I would wait and look for a BF/holiday deal. Save a little more and get a decent HTIB.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well, replacing the fronts probably made a huge difference--especially for music.

And of course, it depends how picky you are on sound quality. I'm not an audiophile, but I've not heard a sub 300 box set I thought sounded very good. But many people aren't remotely knowlegable or picky about sound quality etc., and will be fine with a cheaper set up. Provided it's loud enough for the room it's going in.[/QUOTE]

I mean I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I can appreciate good sound (I have a pair of Etymotic ER-4P's, if that means anything to you), but I've had this setup for awhile, and I've just been keeping my eye open for good components and slowly building up a good setup.

Obviously I'd like a Denon receiver and some top of the line Harmon Kardon speakers so I can jizz in my pants every time I throw on a Blu-Ray, but I'm not in a rush to go out and drop thousands for my audio. I'll find that great receiver for a great price in due time; I've always been more of a video guy anyways.

[quote name='MSI Magus']To those talking about things being a long term investment and don't be a cheapass I completely agree. Problem is that iv never experienced playing a game on surround sound and dont want to plunk down $500 for something that I dont know if I will feel is worth that much to me. If I knew it was going to make a big difference and knew I could spend a few hundred and get something that would last 10 years id be cool with that.[/QUOTE]
Do you watch many movies? If so surround sound is an absolute no-brainer. If it's just games I'd still say go for it, but do it right. A $60 system just isn't going to cut it imo.

My parents were practically technophobes; perfectly content to use the tv speakers. My brother and I bought them a decent 5.1 setup one year for Christmas. Now they can't imagine being without it.

In short, yes. Every single genre, from Survival Horror to hockey, befits immensely from surround sound. How can anyone stand to watch/play anything in 2.0 in this day and age? I've had 5.1 (have a 7.1 receiver now, but haven't gotten the other 2 speakers) for almost a decade now.

Oh yeah man, once you go with surround sound, you won't go back. I have the HT-SS2000 I bought a couple of years ago from Circuit City when it went on sale. While the subwoofer is passive, it does a great job for an apartment.

Yes, it's very important with this generation now that all games have 5.1 sound. If you have a PS3, it's also very important because of the audio quality of Blu-Rays. You can get a good enough 5.1 sound system so cheap nowadays there's really no excuse not to. I paid $300 for mine, and it's the bee's knees.

[quote name='MSI Magus']What are optical splitters and how hard is it to set up?

To those talking about things being a long term investment and don't be a cheapass I completely agree. Problem is that iv never experienced playing a game on surround sound and dont want to plunk down $500 for something that I dont know if I will feel is worth that much to me. If I knew it was going to make a big difference and knew I could spend a few hundred and get something that would last 10 years id be cool with that.[/QUOTE]

I think he just talking about making an extra port for the optical audio. Hopefully we can get more people to vouch for this sony setup. Honestly I think you should get it. It does exactly what you need it to do, it does it well, and it has an entry level price tag.

I just recently got my first surround sound system and wanted an entry level type of thing. I went with the Sony HTS 360 which is their newer one. It's $260 on amazon and it's been great. I have my 360 and ps3 hooked up to it. And since I also have a Sony Bravia TV, I can control the TV and sound system through the same remote.

[quote name='Irukandji']I think he just talking about making an extra port for the optical audio. Hopefully we can get more people to vouch for this sony setup. Honestly I think you should get it. It does exactly what you need it to do, it does it well, and it has an entry level price tag.[/QUOTE]

Well Iv got it down to those or waiting till black friday and seeing if I can catch a sale. Although I am also considering the last guys post, bit more then I wanted to spend but if their indeed a really great entry level that would last me a long time ill pay the extra.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001VKIE5Q/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Anyone know anything more?

My brother has a 7.1 setup in his home theater, and he can barely find blu rays that have 7.1. I've never been a big fan of buying a receiver with the speakers. I like picking out a receiver on its own and then coming back and getting a good set of speakers. In a surround sound set up... its the receiver that's most important. If you're JUST going to be using it for gaming... then I'd pick up a standard Home Theater set.. but if you're going to listening to music and want to get the best... I'd pick up a receiver on its own, and then get some yamaha speakers. Remember the speakers can be changed out at anytime, a good receiver will last you for years. If you want something that you don't have to replace then I'd pick up a decent receiver...

i.e. [http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH50...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251809826&sr=1-5] and then add this set of speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1251810076&sr=1-3

[quote name='Thomas96']My brother has a 7.1 setup in his home theater, and he can barely find blu rays that have 7.1. I've never been a big fan of buying a receiver with the speakers. I like picking out a receiver on its own and then coming back and getting a good set of speakers. In a surround sound set up... its the receiver that's most important. If you're JUST going to be using it for gaming... then I'd pick up a standard Home Theater set.. but if you're going to listening to music and want to get the best... I'd pick up a receiver on its own, and then get some yamaha speakers. Remember the speakers can be changed out at anytime, a good receiver will last you for years. If you want something that you don't have to replace then I'd pick up a decent receiver...

i.e. [http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH50...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1251809826&sr=1-5] and then add this set of speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP1...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1251810076&sr=1-3[/QUOTE]

Is it hard to set something like this up? I am not exactly a tech whizz kind of guy so I am always nervous about buying new tech I know nothing about, especially if it means setting up a system myself vs buying a boxed set with manuals and what not. Again though, while $270 is a bit steep if it gets me a really nice set up(that I can indeed set up)that should last me 10 years I could justify the purchase.

I picked up a $100 Pioneer 5.1 system (the one for the 360) a couple of years ago. It's worth it I think but I'd say pick up a cheap entry level system like that to start off with, see if you like it and then move up to something better.

I've not bothered to upgrade admittedly, the cheap system is good enough for me.

As far as for the Xbox goes I don't know but I play a lot of PC games and have very good speakers and headphones and the whole experience overall is better.

I would imagine with a surround sound system it would be that much better, I say if you have the money go for it get yourself an entry level system and then if you love it save for a nice set up.

Surround Sound is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best way to go. It opens up a whole new experience in gaming. I thought going to an HDTV was pretty awesome but when I finally got the stereo I was just blown away.

[quote name='benjamouth']I picked up a $100 Pioneer 5.1 system (the one for the 360) a couple of years ago. It's worth it I think but I'd say pick up a cheap entry level system like that to start off with, see if you like it and then move up to something better.

I've not bothered to upgrade admittedly, the cheap system is good enough for me.[/QUOTE]I got in on that buy.com deal awhile back to get it for around $90 also, and I've really liked it for playing 360. Movies on it are just plain not right, since a lot of times I can't hear anything that people are saying since the special effects and such overwhelm voices.

I've liked it, but I'm thinking about upgrading right now since I've got a lot of extra money and some really nice HTiB came out recently. Cnet does a good job of reviewing a lot of systems, so I've been looking at this list.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-home-theatre-systems/?tag=rb_content;contentNav

My top picks so far are a $550 Samsung system with built in Blu Ray and a $324 Onkyo system.

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theate...0_7-33488076.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theate...0_7-33560952.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

I don't watch movies much, so I'm definitely leaning more towards the Onkyo setup, and then just using my 360 as a DVD player, and I might pick up a PS3 Slim soon anyways as a Blu Ray player to go with the Onkyo system that way.

$324 shipped from newegg or ($329 from amazon) for what seems like a great setup is something that I can definitely do so I might pull the trigger real soon.

EDIT: This thread put me in the audiophile mood, so I just ordered the $80 Klipsch Image S4 earphones that I've been looking at for the past couple of months. Cnet had fantastic things to say about it. The only reason I waited for so long is that it has constantly been out of stock at amazon and it's not sold elsewhere for the most part.

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/...hones/4505-7877_7-33577358.html?tag=mncol;lst

Obviously has nothing to do with a home theatre setup, but it will probably make me want to upgrade my surround sound setup if they sound as good as I hear they do, or I might be okay with just having one great sounding product.

You guys seem to know a lot about surround sound... do receivers nowadays support Super Audio CDs and DVD-A?

I don't think receivers ever mattered for that--just needed a player that could play them. I think any surround receiver could handle the audio as I think it was just Dolby Digital/DTS.

I don't think they were like the HD sound etc. on Blu Rays where you need a newer receiver to decode.

That you won't get. The receiver will do it, but you'll need a DVD player or something that plays those formats. I doubt any/many of the HTIB set ups come with DVD players that handle DVD-A and SACD.

But you could get an HTIB set up and a separate cd or DVD player etc. that handles those discs.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Is it hard to set something like this up? I am not exactly a tech whizz kind of guy so I am always nervous about buying new tech I know nothing about, especially if it means setting up a system myself vs buying a boxed set with manuals and what not. Again though, while $270 is a bit steep if it gets me a really nice set up(that I can indeed set up)that should last me 10 years I could justify the purchase.[/QUOTE]

It'll look scary at first because a real receiver will have a lot of connections, but its really simple.

My set up is that I have a PS3 and a 360 (w/ HD component cable) The PS3 is connected to the receiver via a Digital Optical Cable, into the the receiver's digital optical cable input. The receiver has 5 speakers hat's connected to it. There's a front left and right speaker, and back left and right speaker and a center channel speaker. Also the subwoofer.

On the receiver there are slots for each speaker. All you have to do is run the cord from the speaker to the receiver. main tip is to remember if you're using the basic red and black wire is that red is positive and black is negative. Whatever speaker wire you're using there will be an indication on the cord that shows which one is negative and positive. When you're hooking up the receiver to the speakers you want to make sure that its consistent. Its the little things like these that will help you to get the best possible sound from the system. The subwoofer has its own special one cord wire that it uses which is easy to set up.

Once you get the speakers set up it'll be easy to add whatever device that you have to the router because there are plenty of slots to add whateer sound device that you have.

I think I'll take some pics of my set up and post them and show you how I have mine set up.. trust me.. if I can do it... you can do it. -

edit - I know you've gotten a lot of suggestions for sound set ups... on crutchfield.com you can look at the back of various receivers and see how the hook ups work. Here is the link to the receiver that I suggested, it has 4 HDMI inputs.... and one output (which goes to the television) meaning that you can hook up 4 HDMI devices to the receiver, which is easy because its one cable for each device.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...?i=158STDH500&search=Sony+STRDH500+5.1&tp=179

With some cheaper HTIB's, your speakers will already be wired for you. That would be the way to go if you wouldn't want to run your own cable.

That being said, I actually had never dealt with a sound system before I just bought mine. I grabbed a spool of 12 gauge speaker wire, and cut my own cables. It wasn't very difficult, and the sound quality is much better (and the wire is much stronger than the cheap-o wire they sent with it).

[quote name='PhrostByte']You guys seem to know a lot about surround sound... do receivers nowadays support Super Audio CDs and DVD-A?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't think receivers ever mattered for that--just needed a player that could play them. I think any surround receiver could handle the audio as I think it was just Dolby Digital/DTS.

I don't think they were like the HD sound etc. on Blu Rays where you need a newer receiver to decode.[/QUOTE]

Receivers don't decode those signals. SACD's multichannel high-resolution audio is sent in PCM over HDMI. PS3 will send it over PS3's format as well as S/PDIF, but only stereo - so it's probably same with other SACD players. DVD-A is sent over "multichannel audio". Basically the player must have multichannel audio outputs and receiver must must have multichannel audio inputs. Usually multichannel audio has 6 RCA jacks (for 5.1), some receivers support 8 (for 7.1).

Edited to add:
Here's a picture of the back of my receiver Onkyo tx-sr805. You can see the 8 RCA jacks for MULTI CH... I'm glad I got two of these puppies when I did because the newer ones tx-sr807 don't have these inputs any more.
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/17905197_6b1702810a.jpg

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Receivers don't decode those signals. SACD's multichannel high-resolution audio is sent in PCM over HDMI. PS3 will send it over PS3's format as well as S/PDIF, but only stereo - so it's probably same with other SACD players. DVD-A is sent over "multichannel audio". Basically the player must have multichannel audio outputs and receiver must must have multichannel audio inputs. Usually multichannel audio has 6 RCA jacks (for 5.1), some receivers support 8 (for 7.1).

Edited to add:
Here's a picture of the back of my receiver Onkyo tx-sr805. You can see the 8 RCA jacks for MULTI CH... I'm glad I got two of these puppies when I did because the newer ones tx-sr807 don't have these inputs any more.
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/17905197_6b1702810a.jpg[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification. It had been a long time since I looked into it as I wasn't that interested, especially after it was clear neither format was going to catch on. I'm not really enough of an audiophile to be interested in new formats anyway.

But I was pretty sure receivers didn't do any decoding, but I didn't know about the extra inputs needed for DVD-A. That seems silly vs. just sending it over an optical cable or HDMI cable like DVD or Blu-ray audio.

[quote name='mang9432']drool.... i want that[/QUOTE]

I spend more on this hobby than I should.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Thanks for the clarification. It had been a long time since I looked into it as I wasn't that interested, especially after it was clear neither format was going to catch on. I'm not really enough of an audiophile to be interested in new formats anyway.

But I was pretty sure receivers didn't do any decoding, but I didn't know about the extra inputs needed for DVD-A. That seems silly vs. just sending it over an optical cable or HDMI cable like DVD or Blu-ray audio.[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. DVD-A is a hassle because of all the additional wiring necessary. I think it also contributed to SACD not catching on. That said I have a DVD-A 1812 overture (with digital canons:D) and it is amazing.

I ended up buying the Sony HTTS that someone recommend a page or two ago. I got it because my wife felt more comfortable buying a bundled model then buying the parts seperate and putting something together, she also wanted to buy from amazon since they tend to be awsome with returns.

I am now wondering if there is anything else Ineed to buy like hdmi cables or some other wire? Sorry to not link what I I bought but Iam typing this from my

ps3 since my pc is broken . Again the model I bought is called the Sony HTSS360

Thanks guys and sorry if this message is horrid but the ps3 isn't typing friendly

[quote name='MSI Magus']I am now wondering if there is anything else Ineed to buy like hdmi cables or some other wire? Sorry to not link what I I bought but Iam typing this from my
[/QUOTE]
HDMI cables would be the most convenient. One to connect the PS3 to the amp, and another to connect the amp to the tv. That would also allow you to receive the hd-audio codecs from blu-ray movies, assuming the amp can accept multi-channel PCM (I see no reason why it wouldn't). You may also need some extra speaker wire as well, depending on your room size and set-up.

[quote name='Allnatural']HDMI cables would be the most convenient. One to connect the PS3 to the amp, and another to connect the amp to the tv. That would also allow you to receive the hd-audio codecs from blu-ray movies, assuming the amp can accept multi-channel PCM (I see no reason why it wouldn't). You may also need some extra speaker wire as well, depending on your room size and set-up.[/QUOTE]

So pretty much grab two more hdmi cables. My room size is pretty small , we have a spare room just for gaming but its just your standard apartment bedroom

ahhhh, you chose the sony hts that I suggested and have. You'll need two hdmi cables to connect your ps3 to the receiver and from the receiver to your TV. I'd also buy one extra hdmi cable in case you want to hook something up in the future. Also, i'd suggest buying a couple optical cables to hook things up like an xbox 360 or something like that. Use monoprice.com for all your cable needs.

When you hook your ps3 up to it, you'll want to go to the sound settings on your ps3 and tell it to use Linear PCM. This is because the ps3 decodes the sound, not the receiver and is known to be the optimal settings for a ps3 and why I reccomended that HTS. All of this knowledge is taken from avforums and avsforums.

[quote name='Dingleberry']ahhhh, you chose the sony hts that I suggested and have. You'll need two hdmi cables to connect your ps3 to the receiver and from the receiver to your TV. I'd also buy one extra hdmi cable in case you want to hook something up in the future. Also, i'd suggest buying a couple optical cables to hook things up like an xbox 360 or something like that. Use monoprice.com for all your cable needs.

When you hook your ps3 up to it, you'll want to go to the sound settings on your ps3 and tell it to use Linear PCM. This is because the ps3 decodes the sound, not the receiver and is known to be the optimal settings for a ps3 and why I reccomended that HTS. All of this knowledge is taken from avforums and avsforums.[/QUOTE]

All right so again two hdmi cables and an optical cable. Do the cables need to be really long or are they plugging into something that stays close to the tv?

[quote name='MSI Magus']All right so again two hdmi cables and an optical cable. Do the cables need to be really long or are they plugging into something that stays close to the tv?[/QUOTE]

The cables need to be long enough to reach to each device.
From your PS3 to your receiver
From your receiver to your TV
From any device to your receiver

The cables I have are generally between 6 and 12 feet.

[quote name='Dingleberry']The cables need to be long enough to reach to each device.
From your PS3 to your receiver
From your receiver to your TV
From any device to your receiver

The cables I have are generally between 6 and 12 feet.[/QUOTE]

Would you mind linking me to exactly what I need to buy. I am still stuck using my ps3 not my pc for a few days and monoprices is being wonky on my ps3 . I also cant find a listing for optical digital cord at the site. We have everything els set up we are just stuck till I can order the hdmi, optical digital cord and a audio cord which i also didn't see listed at monoprices but the manual said is required for hook up. Thanks for , all the help guys, I appreciate it especially given the patience you have shown while I am limeyed to ps3 navigating !!!!!!!

I love my onkyo surround sound. I bought it before I got my HDTV, because I think sound is even more important.

[quote name='Dingleberry']HDMI cables These are 8ft cables but you can buy any other length
Optical cables These are 12ft and can also be bought in any other length

I don't know what you meant by the other audio cord that you needed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton for the help! This no pc and using the ps3 thing really blows! As for the audio video cord it looks to be one of those old school yellow and red cords like the psx or ps3 used

[quote name='MSI Magus']Would you mind linking me to exactly what I need to buy. I am still stuck using my ps3 not my pc for a few days and monoprices is being wonky on my ps3 . I also cant find a listing for optical digital cord at the site. We have everything els set up we are just stuck till I can order the hdmi, optical digital cord and a audio cord which i also didn't see listed at monoprices but the manual said is required for hook up.[/QUOTE]
Which cables you'll need depends on what you intend to connect to your new receiver. The PS3 is obvious (that's what the HDMI cables are for). 360? HD-DVR box? List them all and we'll tell you exactly what to pick up.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Thanks a ton for the help! This no pc and using the ps3 thing really blows! As for the audio video cord it looks to be one of those old school yellow and red cords like the psx or ps3 used[/QUOTE]

so how's the sound? Was it worth it?

[quote name='Thomas96']so how's the sound? Was it worth it?[/QUOTE]

Ill let you know when I get to use them, I am waiting on the monoprices optical digital cord to even be able to hook the damn thing up since apparently sony thout it was acceptable to ship it without the wires needed to hook it up

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ill let you know when I get to use them, I am waiting on the monoprices optical digital cord to even be able to hook the damn thing up since apparently sony thout it was acceptable to ship it without the wires needed to hook it up[/QUOTE]
You won't need the optical cable for the PS3. HDMI will handle everything.

[quote name='Allnatural']You won't need the optical cable for the PS3. HDMI will handle everything.[/QUOTE]

How do I hook this up then? Itried following the instructions as did my wife but it didnt work? I also tried running one hdmi wire from the receiver out to my tv hdmi in slot one and then an hdmi wire from the ps3 to tv hdmi slot 3 but that didnt work either . So what wires are supposed to run where? Sorry we are so ignorant with this stuff.

bread's done
Back