Is Surround Sound Worth the Money?

hulk409

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I have never played games in surround sound. Do you guys think it adds a lot? I'm considering getting a surround sound system, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, but not so much for the PS2 and 'Cube. The XBox is the system to go for. PS2 and 'Cube support Pro-Logic II which is decent, but the full 5.1 ability on the 'Box is just amazing. Nothing beats hearing an enemy directly behind you in a first person shooter or cars whizzing by in a racing game (Burnout 3 does this really well). Even without gaming, you've still got DVD's. Worth every penny in my book.

Surround sound is great. I remember the first time i heard it, kinda scared me because i kept hearing something behind me, didnt realize it was a speaker in a plant.

I don't use mine as much for games as I do for dvds. Man, if you have a dvd collection at all, surround sound is well worth your money.

So worth the money, no matter what you have. I have all my systems hooked to it, and playing Kirby Super Star in Pro Logic 2 cannot be beat.

Never used surround sound with my games, but for DVDs its like being in the theatres with the system I have, IMO well worth it just for DVDs.

I would highly recomend surround sound. I just got a 5.1 system for the first time for the PC I built this summer and its great.

The one I was considering getting is $200 normally. It is $190 right now on circuitycity.com. It is the Sony Home Theater System (HT-DDW660). It has both 5.1 and pro logic II. I heard it in the store, and it sounds pretty good to me.

I have a nice 6.1 setup for my home theater...but have the lovely SoundBeat speakers hooked up to my systems ;) anyone remember those things?

watched star wras on dvd last night ! It sounds great now in the sorrund sound! You can hear the ships move around the screen! If a ship is blown up on the right side of the screen its loud on the right speaker! Pretty cool! Geroge lucas made some serious bank this past week!

What's a good CHEAP surround sound system? I have a small bedroom and I want somethingI can use on all 3 of my game systems (if possible)

just to clarify, theres a difference between regular stereo, surround, pro logic, pro logic 2, digital 5.1, etc. The OP was asking about surround sound.

Over plain old stereo, yes it's worth it. Any stereo can interpret basic 'surround' sound, or a third channel, you simply wire the speakers specially. Digital sound, like 5.1 or STS, etc. needs a specific receiver and source.

Does the PS2 even have 5.1 capability? I have an old model and it'll only do pro logic output. I thought Xbox weas the only gamesystem with 5.1 digital.

[quote name='bmulligan']just to clarify, theres a difference between regular stereo, surround, pro logic, pro logic 2, digital 5.1, etc. The OP was asking about surround sound.

Over plain old stereo, yes it's worth it. Any stereo can interpret basic 'surround' sound, or a third channel, you simply wire the speakers specially. Digital sound, like 5.1 or STS, etc. needs a specific receiver and source.

Does the PS2 even have 5.1 capability? I have an old model and it'll only do pro logic output. I thought Xbox weas the only gamesystem with 5.1 digital.[/quote]

I thought all three systems techincally had 5.1 support.. but only Xbox actually had true 5.1 in-game, PS2 and GCN are only music/menus/loading screens etc. I could be wrong though.

PS2 can do Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1...but usually only during cutscenes. The surround sound that is produced during actual gameplay is Dolby Pro Logic II.

jeug

Yes, you NEED surround sound if you watch DVD's or have an XBOX.

As for a GOOD cheap one....check out Circuit City or any place like that. Those sub $300 home theatre in a box deals are decent for a starter system.

However, CC has an ONKYO 6.1 system between $400-$500 that gets GREAT reviews. Spend the extra cash on that one is my best opinion.

Although, I kinda pieced my system together. I did have a speaker system from a box deal (JBL 5.1 system)..no receiver

However, I upgraded my receiver to a Sony STR-DA1000ES and I added all new front speakers. So, I have the JBL S-Center and JBL N## (forgot) for the LF & RF speakers. I also have the 3 JBL cube speakers that came with my initial system as my rear speakers (6.1 setup now)

I will eventually upgrade my sub, but it's doing a fine job now.

I'd love to have surround sound, but I don't want all those wires running all over my den :( Also, the way my den is connected to the dining room, it's not really feasible to try to run them under the carpet, even if I wanted to (which I don't).

If you absolutely must have surround RIGHT NOW, or you just can't afford anything more than a home theater in a box, then it's not a bad way to go.

You will not, however, regret spending just a bit more to get a really nice amp and some killer speakers. That way you can always upgrade as you go -as most, if not all "in-a-box" set-ups can't drive the really good speakers you'll want later.

All my systems run through my Onkyo receiver and Klipsch speakers, and they've never sounded better. :D

[quote name='Backlash']I'd love to have surround sound, but I don't want all those wires running all over my den :( Also, the way my den is connected to the dining room, it's not really feasible to try to run them under the carpet, even if I wanted to (which I don't).[/quote]

Do you have a crawlspace or basement to run them under? I have mine running through the basement, since I have hardwood floors throughout.

I don't think I'll ever stop upgrading my surround system. I think it is the best thing to immerse you in a game or DVDs. Soon enough, all of TV will be at least 5.1. You are not taking advantage of the current generations games and movies if you do not run surround.

Also, systems are cheap now. For the price of an xbox, you can have 5.1 DTS surround. No better upgrade (besides a better TV)

They do make wireless ones now, but I've never actually heard one. Sounds like the right idea though. Also, you might as well get one that supports the 6.1 options. More and more DVD's are using it and I'm sure next-gen systems will as well.

I would love a good wireless HT.
I've got a HTiB, it's a Kenwood setup, at the time I wanted to minimize my outlay and get everything at once. Plus, it goes louder than I generally ever need it to.
I think the two improvements I would make on mine would be to get a powered subwoofer and a receiver with more digital audio inputs. But my sub does work, and I'm not a real huge fan of heavy bass; and I've got a switchbox I can use for the digital audio, if I just buy some more cables.
Virtually any HT system will make a noticeable different in multichannel media, like most DVD's, some PS2 games, many Xbox games, and a lot of digital cable content [especially the premium movie networks.] And many recievers have some sort of 'fake' technology where they can use different settings to 'emulate' surround sound and pump some sound through your rear speakers.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']you drilled holes in your floor for them?[/quote]

Yep, I have a few small holes. Well, the cable was fed through the basement....so the hoel was already there, and she also had another hole in the back of the room where she also had a cable ran. So, the holes were pretty much drilled, I just had to run them. They are not noticeable at all either. Just small holes for a speaker wire. The stands cover them up anyways....and the other is behind my big-ass-tv.

I heard WIRELESS surround systems SUCK BALLS.....you can try, but I heard they are no good.

[quote name='Backlash']Unfortunately, I live in Texas and we don't have basements, just concrete slabs :([/quote]

go through the attic, it's not that difficult.

It is SO worth it. How much so, you may ask. So much so that I recently spent $3500 upgrading my audio rig just to get that perfect sound in my games and my DVDs.

Not saying you gotta spend that much to get great sound. Matter of fact, you can spend about $500 and get a pretty good setup. My personal recommendation for gaming (and movies) is the new Official Xbox Speaker System. They showed it off in last months OXM and gave it very high marks. It retails for about $500 and you can obviously plug more into it than just your Xbox. But for the money, it gives the most bang for buck in any low-end system that I have seen around anywhere.

Anyway, if you want the most from the sound out of your games, be it on the Xbox, Gamecube or the Ps2 or be it from your DVDs, then surround sound is the way to go. The first time you hear an enemy actual creeping up behind you in a deathmatch and he does not think you know he is there, so you swing around and catch him by surprise, you will swear by surround sound from then on out.

bread's done
Back