Is the Classic Controller worth it? (Have GC controllers)

chubbyninja1319

CAGiversary!
I've dl'd a few VC games and I really like the look of the classic controller. But, i'm hella cheap and the 'cube controllers (wavebird) seem to be working fine so far. I'm wondering what the incentive is to buy a classic controller other than the cool looks? Any thoughts?

Mainly that the classic con's got a bigger d-pad, and since you can't reconfigure controls, they're often inconvenient on the GC controller. Can you imagine playing Super Mario World on it, holding Y the whole time and pressing B all the time without hitting A?

If you're content with the Wavebird, stick to your guns. It does everything the CC can do now.

On the other hand, that CC is super stylish... (for the record, I have, and prefer it :) )

Edit: mkelehan makes a good point. the D-pad on the CC is about 89739374 times better.

Looks like the classic will be the only way to play some VC games, too. Not a fan of that, but it is what it is. All in all, it's a damn fine controller. Feels great in every way -- size, shape, d-pad, buttons... nice piece of kit.

Those are the kind of testimonials that I was looking for and.... pretty much what I expected. I'll get one eventually, I'll probably wait until I have a real reason to get one, like the Super Mario World example above.

I was hoping I'd get a gift card to somewhere where I could get a classic con. All I got was GC's for Macy's so i could get work clothes. dammit. At least I got a wii points card.

Dang... looks like we actually helped someone! I think an angel just got its wings.

Use the Best Buy GGC to save $5 on it... makes it a little more palatable.

The CC is great except the stupid wire coming out toward you.
I still can't make any sense of that one...

[quote name='porieux']The CC is great except the stupid wire coming out toward you.
I still can't make any sense of that one...[/QUOTE]

Mark my words, Nintendo is going to release some sort of plastic frame that connects the Classic Controller to the Wii remote, giving the player Gamecube-style controls with added tilt and pointing functionality. This said, it makes more sense for the wire to point down, otherwise it would get in the way of the pointing device of the remote.

The Sega Dreamcast's "awesome" controller had a bottom mounted cord. I guess if you ever decided to wear the console on your back it would be much more convienient. hahah I just remember mine always getting bent forward to the point that that part of the cord cracked and started to fray. Who knows maybe we'll see some Sega Dreamcast games on the Wii too, and that bottom mounted cord might bring back the nostalgia... then again. it might just remind you how much of a stupid idea it was.

SegaDreamcastController.jpg

Personally I would have gladly paid an extra $10 and dealt with batteries if the Classic Controller was wireless in and of itself. Or if Nintendo just put a USB plug that could recharge the unit or included a connector that connected to the Wiimote like the PS3 SixAxis controller.

For the most part I prefer using my Wavebirds instead of the Classic Controller. It is annoying having the Wiimote hanging off of it.

I also worry about having the Wiimote in my lap while playing with the Classic Controller. It is blasting my "friendly zone" with "bluetooth waves." I don't want to end up with cancer in my most enjoyable body parts...

[quote name='ZoneFighter']
I also worry about having the Wiimote in my lap while playing with the Classic Controller. It is blasting my "friendly zone" with "bluetooth waves." I don't want to end up with cancer in my most enjoyable body parts...[/QUOTE]

The cord is pretty long, just set it beside you rather than on your lap.

[quote name='ZoneFighter']I also worry about having the Wiimote in my lap while playing with the Classic Controller. It is blasting my "friendly zone" with "bluetooth waves." I don't want to end up with cancer in my most enjoyable body parts...[/QUOTE]

I've got one kid and another on the way. I'm done using those parts. I like the Classic Controller more.

bread's done
Back