Is the DS for me?

S0DA POPINSKI

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (98%)
-I don't ever carry portable systems with me.
-On vacation I would rather read a book (OMG!)
-At home is where it would be used.
-I already have a 360,PS2,Wii (inc), NES,SNES,Genesis At my home.

Is the DS worth it just for the games themselves?? I got to admit I want to play New Super Mario Bros baaaaaaaaad.

95% of the time I play my DS I'm sitting on my couch. Or the toilet.

About the only time I take it outside with me is when I have an expected hour wait at the car dealership or something.

Yes. The DS is for everyone :)

Really, though, I'm much the same as Botticus, and there are some excellent games you can only get on the DS. I prefer it because you can play in short bursts, and sleep mode lets you stop wherever if needed, so it doesn't matter if you have a save point or not.

The New Super Mario Bros. is a good reason to buy the system. A bunch of people might come in here and rattle off a bunch of good games to buy (and rightfully so, there are many) but I'll tell you that this is the best handheld system I've ever played.

I never play outside the house either, I just enjoy not hogging the TV every so often. Go buy a DS, love it and never look back.

I agree with everyone else--the DS is pretty sweet, and you don't NEED to use it as a portable to enjoy it. Most of the time, I'm using it when there's some garbage on my wife absolutely wants to watch and I'm doing everything I can to block it out. And, like botticus said, when sitting on the toilet. Good to know I'm not the only person who does that. :lol:

The DS is a great system, but what are your prefered genres? that would really help.
The DS is the perfect system for puzzle gamers (puzzle quest, sudoku, planet puzzle league, picross etc..) and platformer junkies (super mario bros, yoshi's island, castlevania, kirby etc...)

Since you dont have a GBA, a load of great fantastic games, especially of the side scroller/platformer and RPG genre can be bought cheap and played on the DS

I got a DS with an R4, and I haven't stopped playing it for three weeks. Every other day I find a super awesome game that gets me hooked. If you're just looking for good games, and no movies/music, definitely get the DS over the PSP.

And I agree with StinkyCheese, there are some GREAT puzzle games.

^Are those legal backups, or do you not own the games at all? (I smell infraction)

Anyways, DS has a lot of fun games, and the stylus always adds a new dimension of control/gameplay. I'm not too fond of the PSP since portable games are usually small and convenient. Who cares about graphics when the screen is a couple inches on all sides. Most of the PSP games feel like console games that you can't really play on the go, so you might as well play them on the console. The DS library is just great overall, all kinds of genres (well, except maybe decent sports titles) anyone can enjoy.

Also, I don't often bring my DS outside the home. Except maybe when I'm waiting in the car. But it gets most of its playing time indoors at a desk or couch. It's just convenient to be able to bring it almost anywhere.

If you do delve into the homebrew, there are emulators and roms for use (given you own the actual hard copy). I believe some of the carts allow reading books, though i belive it's limited to txt files.

My only gripe is that it's still $130-ish. I'm sure they don't need to lower the price since it's constantly doing so well, but it would be easier on my wallet if they knocked off a couple $5s or $10s on the MSRP.

nah you don't need to use it as a portable.. i play primarily two games.. New Super Mario Bros.. and Puzzle Quest (better than xbox because of the touch screen)

there are a lot of other "gimmicky" games.. but i like new super mario bros and puzzle quest.

I am also gonna jump in here and say that the DS is for you. The sheer variety of games is great and if you like to read then you should check out something like Hotel Dusk, to me it is like an interactive novel.

As far as new super mario bros. goes, that is a sweet game. If you like puzzle games pick up Tetris DS too.

I play the DS at home all the time. Instant sleep mode is fantastic, and the adventure games out for the DS, are text heavy with good stories (although they don't beat books by any means). If you do get one and beat New Super Mario Brothers, just know there are plenty of great games just like it. (the Super Mario Advance Games being the obvious one here)

I don't think I've ever played my DS as a "portable" hehe. I got it because I wanted to play some of the newer titles that my GBMicro couldn't support. Zelda DS was a lot of fun, Mario Kart DS is just like having Mario Kart with you in portable form, and I also have Final Fantasy III and Mario & Luigi Partners in Time that I have yet to unseal and play.

It's a fun system, doesn't need to be portable to be enjoyable.

Ruahrc

I'm the same way, most of my DS playing comes while I'm at home. The games list for the system is impressive, NSMB is good, I've had more fun with Zelda DS than the other Zelda games I've played, Mario Kart DS is one of the best in the series, if you're into reading Hotel Dusk is a perfect fit for you, Elite Beat Agents is a great music game, Puzzle Quest is insanely addictive, the list goes on and on.

One major advantage of the DS is that it's easy to get games super cheap. I just picked up Disney Meteos for $10, before that Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam for $3, and before that the second Phoenix Wright for $15. I'd say the average price I've paid for my DS games is right around $15 and I greatly enjoy 90% of the games I own.

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']-On vacation I would rather read a book (OMG!)
[/quote]
Ace Attorney series and Hotel Dusk.

My DS barely ever leaves the house, and I can say it's definitely my favorite handheld system ever, and honestly one of my favorite systems of all time.

I'll give you some reasons:

I play my DS at home and on the road, surprisingly, it is very portable.

Battery life is great (I keep on the second brightness and even that hurts my eyes in the dark.)

Ace Attorney 1-4 - Should keep you busy and enteratined for a few months.

New Super Mario Bros. is great.

If you have the brain for it ADVANCE WARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Puzzle Quest

If you are into sport games, this system is not for you. Additionally, FPS are not too great. Not horrible, but the PSP is better.

The DS is a great system if you are into casual puzzle and platformer games. The games catalog is huge and there are a ton of old game you could get dirt cheap that you would have fun with.

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']-I don't ever carry portable systems with me.
-On vacation I would rather read a book (OMG!)
-At home is where it would be used.
-I already have a 360,PS2,Wii (inc), NES,SNES,Genesis At my home.

Is the DS worth it just for the games themselves?? I got to admit I want to play New Super Mario Bros baaaaaaaaad.[/quote]

get it for The New Super Mario Bros. The game is fucking amazing

Mine does not leave the house yet it's still portable. I can play whereever I want without a TV. I've been playing it more than my PS2 lately. It's true there aren't a lot of sports games for it, but I am enjoying Tiger Woods 08. I find Picross DS a good way to relax.

bread's done
Back