Is the entire city of Buffalo, New York guilty of black on white racism?

Knoell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So although I obviously wouldn't generalize an entire city like that I would like to tell a story of something that happened today. A few friends were in from out of town, and we decided to go to a restaurant in the city. Afterwards we went to a fast food restaurant to get some ice cream. We are all standing in line and a black male comes in behind us with his girlfriend, and calls us all crackers twice, and thought it was the most hilarious thing in the world.

So since buying a gun for protection condemns an entire town to be racist towards black people, I figured the opposite must be true here right? I figure I can find a few more people in the city willing to call me a cracker and maybe worse so the whole city must be like that right? This should be on the news.

Edit: I should make it clear that I am in no way offended or seeking retribution for this, but I would like to put this double standard we have into a discussion. I simply don't care what he said, he can say whatever his little heart desires.

Last edited by a moderator:
For crying out loud, was this really necessary? Now we'll get pages of you not understanding and others trying to make you understand the difference. At the end of it all, nothing will have changed.

So in the interest of saving time....

Us: It isn't the same.
Knoell: Yes it is.

End thread.

What? It would be all over the news if someone in that town in the other thread was caught calling a black person the n word.

Im just loving the double standard you call equality.

Remember Michael Richards, correct me if I am wrong but didn't that end his career?

It's different. The N word brings back emotions from a time when African-Americans were oppressed into slavery.

Cracker, well that's a type of food.

You don't get it; you think that you do, but you don't. You can't begin to get it until you understand that you don't.

Historically the word suggested poor, white rural Americans with little formal education. Historians point out the term originally referred to the strong Scots-Irish of the back country (as opposed to the English of the seacoast). Thus a sociologist reported in 1913: "As the plantations expanded these freed men (formerly bond servants) were pushed further and further back upon the more and more sterile soil. They became 'pinelanders', 'corn-crackers', or 'crackers'."

Gasp, there were white slaves as well? Well it was only calling white people poor, and dumb. But this doesn't matter because the black people had it worse, and therefore reserve all rights to be racist, and be offended by racism, right?

[quote name='Knoell']So although I obviously wouldn't generalize an entire city like that I would like to tell a story of something that happened today. A few friends were in from out of town, and we decided to go to a restaurant in the city. Afterwards we went to a fast food restaurant to get some ice cream. We are all standing in line and a black male comes in behind us with his girlfriend, and calls us all crackers twice, and thought it was the most hilarious thing in the world.

So since buying a gun for protection condemns an entire town to be racist towards black people, I figured the opposite must be true here right? I figure I can find a few more people in the city willing to call me a cracker and maybe worse so the whole city must be like that right? This should be on the news.

Edit: I should make it clear that I am in no way offended or seeking retribution for this, but I would like to put this double standard we have into a discussion. I simply don't care what he said, he can say whatever his little heart desires.[/QUOTE]

You can't be this stupid...I refuse to believe it.

Let's compare the two, shall we?

1) A small town of mainly white people gets an influx of "people of color". The women say they don't feel safe going outside, they no longer let the kids play outside, buy guns, put up signs like "No pants on the ground allowed." and play country music at the local bar in the hopes that the "new people" will go away.

2) Some black guy calls you a cracker for unknown reasons.

How are they comparable?

PS - The word cracker is nowhere near as hateful/hurtful as the word n.i.gger. Mainly because white people weren't dealing with segregation and had people yelling that word at them in the hopes of putting them in their place (aka below us) less than 60 years ago.

That isn't a double standard.

- edit [quote name='dorino']Hurr reverse racism hurr[/QUOTE]

why do they get to say ni.gger but when i say it, it's some type of big deal? also wat about BET and black history month?!? if we had WET white entertainment television or white pride month, they would throw a fit. it's not fair :cry:

[quote name='Sporadic']You can't be this stupid...I refuse to believe it.

Let's compare the two, shall we?

1) A small town of mainly white people gets an influx of "people of color". The women say they don't feel safe going outside, they no longer let the kids play outside, buy guns, put up signs like "No pants on the ground allowed." and play country music at the local bar in the hopes that the "new people" will go away.

2) Some black guy calls you a cracker for unknown reasons.

How are they comparable?

PS - The word cracker is nowhere near as hateful/hurtful as the word n.i.gger. Mainly because white people weren't dealing with segregation and had people yelling that word at them in the hopes of putting them in their place (aka below us) less than 60 years ago.

That isn't a double standard.

- edit

why do they get to say ni.gger but when i say it, it's some type of big deal? also wat about BET and black history month?!? if we had WET white entertainment television or white pride month, they would throw a fit. it's not fair :cry:[/QUOTE]

Michael Richards

Now racial slurs have to be equal in caliber to be as disgusting, I see. Didn't someone say the word uppity once, and people got all outraged on these forums?

This is kind of fun, all of you are getting riled up.

Honestly, I don't care what some black kid in Buffalo says to me (for no reason other than I was a white man standing in front of him), and I don't care what some women in a small town think about black people.

People are free to say and think what they want period.

[quote name='Knoell']Michael Richards[/QUOTE]

hasn't been important since Seinfeld. Tried stand up, got heckled, responded by saying that fifty years ago they would have been lynched and than degenerated into yelling ni.gger at them.

I imagine he would have been in just as much trouble if he said that 80 years ago they would have been in an oven and goosestepped all over the stage while yelling kike in response to a Jewish heckler.

[quote name='Knoell']Now racial slurs have to be equal in caliber to be as disgusting, I see.[/QUOTE]

Not everything is equal. You can't compare an entire town or washed up celebrity getting press for being racist to some random black guy calling you a cracker. Hard to imagine, I know. Especially since your father or grandfather wasn't being called that word while being oppressed.

[quote name='Knoell']This is kind of fun, all of you are getting riled up.[/QUOTE]

oh boy, look at the puppetmaster

he's the coolest dude in town

[quote name='Knoell']People are free to say and think what they want period.[/QUOTE]

You are right. You could have responded by calling that guy a ni.gger. Doesn't mean he wouldn't have punched you in the face for it or that we wouldn't have agreed with the guy for hitting you when you came back to the forums to whine about "oh guys some dude called me a cracker so i called him a ni.gger and than he hit me wtf was that about he started it :cry:"

Everything in this world comes with consequences, even speech.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ
I like Morgan Freeman.[/QUOTE]

I like that idea too. So why don't we stop publishing stories about suspected racism in little towns, and start talking about more important issues.

Most of you didn't get the point of this thread, and you probably never will but I hope a few of you did. Let's stop the witchhunt and be equal.

[quote name='Sporadic']

You are right. You could have responded by calling that guy a ni.gger. Doesn't mean he wouldn't have punched you in the face for it or that we wouldn't have agreed with the guy for hitting you when you came back to the forums to whine about "oh guys some dude called me a cracker so i called him a ni.gger and than he hit me wtf was that about he started it :cry:"

Everything in this world comes with consequences, even speech.[/QUOTE]

The world does come with consequences and racism should be shunned from society. The problem that is arising though is that the people are looking for a race driven meaning in everything now a days, especially the news, and the government cannot fix racism unless they put a censor on what we can think, which is virtually what is happening we are being censored racist or not. Your thoughts and views are your own domain, and noone should be able to control them, good or bad.

[quote name='vince220']Cracker, well that's a type of food.[/QUOTE]

"Cracker", in this context, does not at all refer to a type of food.

[quote name='Knoell']Let's stop the witchhunt and be equal.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Those people that use the word ni.gger seriously and feel comfortable telling you beaner jokes which are nothing but hate placed under the guise of humor. Let them! Who are they hurting besides themselves. Or white people who get afraid when black people move into their neighborhood. Who cares! Let them buy guns, isolate themselves inside their homes and blare country music in the hopes that the new black people will leave. They are the ones who look silly. And those businesses that only want to serve white people...fuck it, let them. The free market will decide if that is a viable option. And Jim Crow laws. People say it is racist but it does say separate but equal. Equal sounds ok to me. If they don't like it, they can move to some place that doesn't have them. Also all white towns? Why not? If a group of people buy some land and group together, why shouldn't they be allowed to say no minorities allowed? America is a big place. Blacks/Hispanics/Asians don't need to live in the South.

Let's just let people be who they are and leave all of this scapegoating behind. I mean slavery was almost 200 years ago and we have a black president, when will these people let it go?!?

- edit [quote name='Knoell']The world does come with consequences and racism should be shunned from society. The problem that is arising though is that the people are looking for a race driven meaning in everything now a days, especially the news, and the government cannot fix racism unless they put a censor on what we can think, which is virtually what is happening we are being censored racist or not. Your thoughts and views are your own domain, and noone should be able to control them, good or bad.[/QUOTE]

So racism should be shunned from society...but the government shouldn't put a censor on what we think, the media should just forget about it and nobody should tell anybody that their thoughts/views are wrong.

Reporting on an town of mostly white people flipping out when a large group of minority workers (tied to the oil spill which is a big story) show up, is looking for race driven meaning in everything?

When a famous guy calls someone a n!gger maliciously its a little more newsworthy then when a random white guy says it to a black guy.

Nice try with the Michael Richards thing though. You probably could've gone for Mel Gibson too, though that would've been a stretch.

Yeah one black guy calling you cracker = black town is racist. This, coming from the guy who hates the tea party being painted with a broad brush.

[quote name='IRHari']When a famous guy calls someone a n!gger maliciously its a little more newsworthy then when a random white guy says it to a black guy.

Nice try with the Michael Richards thing though. You probably could've gone for Mel Gibson too, though that would've been a stretch.

Yeah one black guy calling you cracker = black town is racist. This, coming from the guy who hates the tea party being painted with a broad brush.[/QUOTE]

You are one of the ones who didn't get it.

[quote name='Sporadic']
- edit

So racism should be shunned from society...but the government shouldn't put a censor on what we think, the media should just forget about it and nobody should tell anybody that their thoughts/views are wrong.

Reporting on an town of mostly white people flipping out when a large group of minority workers (tied to the oil spill which is a big story) show up, is looking for race driven meaning in everything?[/QUOTE]

You do think the government should put a censor on what we think?

They were flipping out huh? This is what I mean, ONE person bought a gun, and the rest spoke their mind about being uncomfortable with so many extra people in the town somehow equals an entire town being eligible for the KKK. No I don't think people should be generalized like that on the news, and I can hardly believe that you do. Sure throw proof of racism on the news when there is actual proof, shun it. But do not go out looking for racial meaning in everything and then condemn an entire area to being that way.

[quote name='benjamouth']If someone called me a Cracker I'd laugh my ass off, get a sense of humor OP !![/QUOTE]

We did lol, the point of the post was that just because a black man in buffalo called me a cracker does not mean the whole city is racist. I'm trying to prove that the other side is painting other areas with that same brush. I also knew that they would argue about it because "a black man being racist just isn't as bad as a white man being racist". That is the truth of the double standard, we can condemn an entire town or group to being racists because of a few misguided fools, but the second I do it, it means jack shit.

You think he even knows what you posted above? I'd bet good money he thinks it refers to saltines. You on the other hand know the history behind the word n!gger and the feelings it causes. Stop trying to find a double standard here.

[quote name='Knoell']We did lol, the point of the post was that just because a black man in buffalo called me a cracker does not mean the whole city is racist. I'm trying to prove that the other side is painting other areas with that same brush. I also knew that they would argue about it because "a black man being racist just isn't as bad as a white man being racist". That is the truth of the double standard, we can condemn an entire town or group to being racists because of a few misguided fools, but the second I do it, it means jack shit.[/QUOTE]

The truth of the double standard is that it comes in two flavors, actual and imagined. Where is yours coming from.

[quote name='Clak']You think he even knows what you posted above? I'd bet good money he thinks it refers to saltines. You on the other hand know the history behind the word n!gger and the feelings it causes. Stop trying to find a double standard here.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying calling a white person a cracker isn't racist?

Yes Knoell that's exactly what I'm saying, you caught me.

Done with this, the thread never should have gotten past the first few posts.

[quote name='cindersphere']The truth of the double standard is that it comes in two flavors, actual and imagined. Where is yours coming from.[/QUOTE]

So a story about a FEW people from a small town saying they are nervous about so many new people around can condemn that town to racism, but I cannot condemn my city to racism because someone was racist towards me?

Simply put, I don't want to condemn my city to racists because of one fool, and I don't want to see other cities or towns or groups condemned to that same fate because of almost could be racism situations.

[quote name='Clak']Yes Knoell that's exactly what I'm saying, you caught me.

Done with this, the thread never should have gotten past the first few posts.[/QUOTE]

Seems like what you are saying, I shouldn't be offended by the word cracker because it isnt as bad as the n word.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ
I like Morgan Freeman.[/QUOTE]

Never saw that till right now and morgan freeman earned a whole new level of respect from me for that.

There shouldnt be a black history month, there shouldnt be a black college fund, there shouldnt be special college level admissions for black people, there shouldnt be that dumbass black slave museum thats in cincinnati or any of that stuff.

If we are going to get rid of racism and actually be equal then we need to start acting equal. And you know, a man getting free college money because he is black is not equal, its racist. A entire month devoted to black people isnt equal, its racist.

We all need to act like were people and not black or white or whatever.

The problem alot of black people face in racism is because of the fact they want to be black, they want to be different, they want special treatment, then dont want to be a man or woman because they want to be a black man or a black woman. When you do that shit other colored people will not like you very much because your acting like an asshole.

Imagine working in a office and its 50% white people and 50% black people and equal parts of men and women. Now everyone treats eachother equal and gets alone fine, now on the black side you have just a few that start wanting more coffee breaks, longer lunches, want to leave work earlier and get paid more because they are black. What do you think the white peoples perception of all th black people will be? Not very good.

[quote name='Knoell']We did lol, the point of the post was that just because a black man in buffalo called me a cracker does not mean the whole city is racist. I'm trying to prove that the other side is painting other areas with that same brush. I also knew that they would argue about it because "a black man being racist just isn't as bad as a white man being racist". That is the truth of the double standard, we can condemn an entire town or group to being racists because of a few misguided fools, but the second I do it, it means jack shit.[/QUOTE]
There's enough of a groundswell of xenophobia in the town to write an AP article. In a town of 1500 they talked to multiple women.

In a town of 300,000: you had one incident of a douche in a fast food restaurant.

Is it racism in both circumstance? Yes. But these are not equal. The news story brings attention to the culture clash in small gulf towns. This culture clash will hopefully lead to a familiarity that will diminish racism.

Making a thread devoted to this topic simply highlights your incendiary race-baiting.

[quote name='gargus']Never saw that till right now and morgan freeman earned a whole new level of respect from me for that.

There shouldnt be a black history month, there shouldnt be a black college fund, there shouldnt be special college level admissions for black people, there shouldnt be that dumbass black slave museum thats in cincinnati or any of that stuff.[/QUOTE]
The reason why there's a black history month is because for hundreds of years, black people were considered an inferior sub-specious of humans or animals and their accomplishments and history aren't really taught in schools on almost any level. The reason why there are black college funds is because not only were they effectively barred from schools/housing loans and financial aid. The reason why there are special "admissions" for black people is because not only are they under represented in higher-ed, but schools were so segregated until the mid 60's that black people had to establish their own universities to get a college degree.

As far as the slave museum, I don't see what's wrong with it besides the fact that it seems to make you feel uncomfortable. Do you feel the same about the numerous Holocaust museums around the world as well? I somehow doubt that.

If we are going to get rid of racism and actually be equal then we need to start acting equal. And you know, a man getting free college money because he is black is not equal, its racist. A entire month devoted to black people isnt equal, its racist.
You know what you call a white man getting free money for college? The entire financial aid system. You know what you call a month devoted to learning about white people? January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December. For an added bonus, no one calls that racist.

We all need to act like were people and not black or white or whatever.
Which is really just code for white.

The problem alot of black people face in racism is because of the fact they want to be black, they want to be different, they want special treatment, then dont want to be a man or woman because they want to be a black man or a black woman. When you do that shit other colored people will not like you very much because your acting like an asshole.
HAHAHA...black people experience racism because they're black and proud when they're told they shouldn't have any pride because they're black and people don't like black because black=asshole.

Imagine working in a office and its 50% white people and 50% black people and equal parts of men and women. Now everyone treats eachother equal and gets alone fine, now on the black side you have just a few that start wanting more coffee breaks, longer lunches, want to leave work earlier and get paid more because they are black. What do you think the white peoples perception of all th black people will be? Not very good.
Right, because all workplaces are split 50/50 between whites and blacks and only black people want "more coffe breaks," "longer lunches," "leave earlier," and "get paid more" when you forgot to mention that the white workers have already been getting those while the black workers had no coffee breaks, shorter lunches, stayed longer, and were paid less than 10% of what a white worker was making. But yeah, let's keep blaming black people.

tl:dr U R DUMZ and racist. GTFO.

[quote name='Quillion']There's enough of a groundswell of xenophobia in the town to write an AP article. In a town of 1500 they talked to multiple women.

In a town of 300,000: you had one incident of a douche in a fast food restaurant.

Is it racism in both circumstance? Yes. But these are not equal. The news story brings attention to the culture clash in small gulf towns. This culture clash will hopefully lead to a familiarity that will diminish racism.

Making a thread devoted to this topic simply highlights your incendiary race-baiting.[/QUOTE]

Or increase racial tension in that town, and on the national stage when it gets picked up. My thread is considered race baiting but a bunch of women being nervous about 1800 men they don't know in a town where everyone knows everyone is worth highlighting, and discussing on every major news outlet? You got me I guess.

I bet if you came to Buffalo you would see a bit more than one douche in a fast food restaurant being racist. That isn't the point though, the point is that we have to stop seeing things like this. We have to stop saying "OMG did that white girl really say that? She must be...." and "OMG did that black guy really say that? he must mean....".

Highlighting blatent racism is one thing but to start highlighting suspected racism, or even the wisps of racism is quite another.

The difference is the examples of racism on blacks that you have noted genuinely hurt the victims involved.

You yourself have admitted that being called a cracker was humorous.

And yes, there is a double standard. Live with it because it's not going away in our lifetimes.

[quote name='knoell']or increase racial tension in that town, and on the national stage when it gets picked up. My thread is considered race baiting but a bunch of women being nervous about 1800 men they don't know in a town where everyone knows everyone is worth highlighting, and discussing on every major news outlet? You got me i guess.

I bet if you came to buffalo you would see a bit more than one douche in a fast food restaurant being racist. That isn't the point though, the point is that we have to stop seeing things like this. We have to stop saying "omg did that white girl really say that? She must be...." and "omg did that black guy really say that? He must mean....".

Highlighting blatent racism is one thing but to start highlighting suspected racism, or even the wisps of racism is quite another.[/quote]

I DON'T SEE RACE WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING IT UP SO WHAT THE NEW MEN IN TOWN ARE MOSTLY MINORITIES I TOLD YOU I DON'T SEE RACE THEY ARE JUST MEN TO ME SO WHAT THE LOCALS PUT UP SIGNS LIKE NO PANTS ON FLOOR ALLOWED AND PLAY COUNTRY MUSIC AT THE LOCAL TAVERN TO DRIVE AWAY THE NEW PEOPLE THAT ISN'T RACIST I DON'T SEE RACE WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING IT UP THEY ARE CLEARLY UNCOMFORTABLE BECAUSE IT WAS A LARGE INFLUX OF MEN STOP LOOKING FOR RACIAL ISSUES I DON'T SEE RACE AND YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER

putting your head in the sand doesn't mean it isn't happening knoell

[quote name='Knoell']I like that idea too. So why don't we stop publishing stories about suspected racism in little towns, and start talking about more important issues.

Most of you didn't get the point of this thread, and you probably never will but I hope a few of you did. Let's stop the witchhunt and be equal.[/QUOTE]

Follow your own advice. You have made more posts on this thread than any other person.

I don't care if this thread is only here to mock racism; it still brings up the issue.

That's still the funniest part of that entire story, apparently black people don't like country music. :rofl:

I love how you still believe that your little cracker story has the same exact weight of the story of obvious racism in that town. I guess it will take a lynching to prove to Knoell that the town is rotten to the core. Even then, he'd claim that any white man would get lynched for whistling at a poor white woman or some other garbage excuse.

[quote name='depascal22']I love how you still believe that your little cracker story has the same exact weight of the story of obvious racism in that town. I guess it will take a lynching to prove to Knoell that the town is rotten to the core. Even then, he'd claim that any white man would get lynched for whistling at a poor white woman or some other garbage excuse.[/QUOTE]

Yep because I bet if I dug in to buffalo a little deeper I wouldn't find more than just one little cracker story. :roll:. The whole point is the generalization of entire areas, or groups because of a few people should be laughed out of the news.

not sure where it said that about country music in the story, but did they really make the generalization that black people dislike country or that young males don't like country? Or are you all pushing that on them? Same with the pants thing, who cares if they are white or black, I don't want to see dudes crack half the time in my store.

[quote name='vince220']
The difference is the examples of racism on blacks that you have noted genuinely hurt the victims involved.

You yourself have admitted that being called a cracker was humorous.

And yes, there is a double standard. Live with it because it's not going away in our lifetimes.
[/QUOTE]

Does that mean if a black person thinks someone calling him the n word is humorous we should be ok with it?

It is hilarious to see some of your justifications of black on white racism. Equal right?

[quote name='ramstoria']
here i clicked the thread thinking thered actually be a news story.
[/QUOTE]

There was a story :D, mine, apparantly racism in Buffalo isn't as important as discussing racism in some town in the south.

[quote name='Knoell']not sure where it said that about country music in the story, but did they really make the generalization that black people dislike country or that young males don't like country? [/QUOTE]

!

When she doesn't like how things are going, McVey (sporadic edit - the same crazy bitch who bought a gun because people talked to her at the park she use to bring her grandchild to) plays country music, hoping the crowd will move on.

[quote name='Sporadic']![/QUOTE]

So the same ONE person who bought a gun plays country which we are assuming is to scare away black people = the whole town is rotten to the core with racism. Yep.

I guess the same ONE person who called me a cracker represents the entirety of Buffalo, because I bet we can find a few black people in buffalo that say white people make them nervous.

I never said the whole town was racist, but you vehemently defended McVey in that last thread. She's a racist.

LOL KNOELL MAKES A NEW TOPIC TO ARGUE ABOUT HOW HE'S BEING OPRESSED LOL

[quote name='dorino']I never said the whole town was racist, but you vehemently defended McVey in that last thread. She's a racist.

LOL KNOELL MAKES A NEW TOPIC TO ARGUE ABOUT HOW HE'S BEING OPRESSED LOL[/QUOTE]

I was letting Sporadics assumptions of the reasons for the ladys actions pass to move the discussion along. I still don't think a lady with a daughter buying a gun when 1800 young men come to town is more racism than just protecting her family.

LOL DORINO STILL DOESN'T GET THE POINT OF THE THREAD.

[quote name='Knoell']Yep because I bet if I dug in to buffalo a little deeper I wouldn't find more than just one little cracker story. :roll:. The whole point is the generalization of entire areas, or groups because of a few people should be laughed out of the news.[/QUOTE]

No one here is saying that there aren't actual racial issues in Buffalo. Your story just is not one of them. You say there's more; talk about those, not your silly little complaints.

[quote name='Knoell']
not sure where it said that about country music in the story, but did they really make the generalization that black people dislike country or that young males don't like country? Or are you all pushing that on them? Same with the pants thing, who cares if they are white or black, I don't want to see dudes crack half the time in my store. [/QUOTE]

Are you still trying to deny that the town was racist? Read between the lines, kid.

[quote name='Knoell']
Does that mean if a black person thinks someone calling him the n word is humorous we should be ok with it? [/QUOTE]

Yes, that's exactly what it means. If no one is hurt, how is that a problem. You see it on TV and in society all the time. You think blacks are offended when Chris Rock uses the word in his stand up? Probably not, because he uses it humorously.

So why is it taboo for a white person to call a black person the N word? Because it brings back emotions of a time when whites oppressed blacks. Any humor will have been countered by this sad racial history.

[quote name='Knoell']It is hilarious to see some of your justifications of black on white racism. Equal right?[/QUOTE]

No, it's not equal. Learn to live with it.

[quote name='Knoell']There was a story :D, mine, apparantly racism in Buffalo isn't as important as discussing racism in some town in the south.[/QUOTE]
Honestly, it's not. Race is a bigger issue down South. That's probably why you can't relate.

bread's done
Back