is the Gamecube more powerful then the PS2

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
i ask this cause i got NCAA football 2005 on ps2 and its running a lot slower on the ps2 then when i rented the same game for the gamecube. The gamecube verison was fast and fun but the PS2 is slow and kind of awful

My 1st ps2 also had the problem of slowing down big time on games after it started getting older, not sure if that would be a problem for you also. Same thing happened with my ps1 so I'm guessing Sony must use cheaper laser units or something.

The cube has a higher rsolution and more memory for textures, although I beleive Nintendo's comment was that they weren't trying for polygon counts as high as the other 2 systems.

Yes, the Gamecube's hardware is more powerful than the PS2's, the library? Not so much.

OMG, I'm defending the PS2...

Gamecube is definitely more powerful. A few games on the PS2 hold up next to the best of the Xbox and Gamecube (the Metal Gears, ZOE2, and FFX-2 come to mind), but I can think of no games that run better on the PS2 (save for those that were designed for the PS2 and through the laziness of programmers had shitty ports made).

[quote name='Nirvanaguy777']yes GC is more powerful, but PS2 has the better games by far.[/quote]

Yes, it is more powerful and it also has the best games, IMO of course...

[quote name='nikkai']But PS2 has games that ruxor my socks. =P

Had to give the PS2 some credit. =)[/quote]

Shouldn't that be games that "r0x0r my s0x0rzzz"?

Gamecube has the fastest loading times for games in comparison to XBOX or PS2. XBOX is the most powerful, then GCN and then PS2. You didn't ask about games but IMO I think GCN has best quality ratio when it comes to good games versus bad.

Facts

GC:
- 485MHz custom CPU with 162MHz custom graphics processor
- 40MB total memory; 2.6 GB per second memory bandwidth
- 12M polygons per second; texture read bandwidth 10.4 GB per second
- 64 audio channels

PS2:
- CPU: Emotion Engine 300MHz, 128-bit INT, 128-bit FP, 24KB L1, 16KB Scratch, 8KB VU0, 32KB VU1, 450 MIPS, 6.2 GFLOPS, 66M Vertices/Sec, 2.4 GB/s Internal, 1.2 GB/s Graphics, 3.2 GB/s Memory
- Graphics: Sony GS 150MHz, 1.2G Texels/Sec, 32-bit Color, 4MB (48 GB/s), 1.2 GB/sec Bus
- Sound: SPU2, 48 2D Voices, ADPCM, 2MB

Sadly I cant make heads or tailes of the PS2 specs listed here. I think all the custom chips in both systems make them hard to compare at this point, it's like the PS2 might be more powerful but onlu because it has to work harder to do what the GC was naturally designed for.

[quote name='Tromack']Gamecube is definitely more powerful. A few games on the PS2 hold up next to the best of the Xbox and Gamecube (the Metal Gears, ZOE2, and FFX-2 come to mind), but I can think of no games that run better on the PS2 (save for those that were designed for the PS2 and through the laziness of programmers had shitty ports made).[/quote]

How does FFX-2 rival the best of Gamecube and Xbox? I can understand the Metal Gear's and ZOE2, but FFX-2?

The PS2 CPU has a very fast vector execution unit compared to the other 2 systems, especially since IBM decided not to put Altivec in the gecko, and x86 CPU vector performance just sucks.

The Gamecube however gets a significant speed boost from the use of 1T-SRAM as main memory instead of DRAM like the other 2 systems.

-----------------
Xbox Specifications
-----------------

CPU: Intel Pentium III 733-MHz processor technology with streaming SIMD extensions
Graphics processor: 233-MHz, custom-designed X-Chip, developed by Microsoft and Nvidia
Total memory: 64MB of RAM (unified memory architecture)
Memory bandwidth: 6.4GB/second
Polygon performance: 150M/sec
Sustained polygon performance (full features): 100M/sec
Particle performance: 150M/sec
Simultaneous textures: 4
Pixel fill rate, no textures: 4.8 G/sec (anti-aliased)
Pixel fill rate, one texture: 4.8 G/sec (anti-aliased)
Pixel fill rate, two textures: 4.8 G/sec (anti-aliased)
Compressed textures: Yes (6:1)
Full scene anti-alias: Yes
Storage medium: 2X to 5X DVD, 8GB hard disk
I/O: Four game controller ports, Ethernet (10/100)
Audio channels: 256, AC3 encoded game audio
3D audio support: Yes
Midi/DLS2 support: Yes
Broadband enabled: Yes
Modem enabled: No
DVD movie playback: Yes
Gamepad included: Yes
Maximum resolution: 1920x1080
Maximum resolution (2x32bpp frame buffers + Z): 1920x1080
HDTV support: Yes

you can't really compare megahertz between different processor architectures, but it should be pretty obvious from just looking at the games themselves that the gamecube can do better graphics.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']-----------------
Xbox Specifications
-----------------

CPU: Intel Pentium III 733-MHz processor technology with streaming SIMD extensions
Graphics processor: 233-MHz, custom-designed X-Chip, developed by Microsoft and Nvidia
Total memory: 64MB of RAM (unified memory architecture)
Memory bandwidth: 6.4GB/second
Polygon performance: 150M/sec
Sustained polygon performance (full features): 100M/sec
Particle performance: 150M/sec
Simultaneous textures: 4
Pixel fill rate, no textures: 4.8 G/sec (anti-aliased)
Pixel fill rate, one texture: 4.8 G/sec (anti-aliased)
Pixel fill rate, two textures: 4.8 G/sec (anti-aliased)
Compressed textures: Yes (6:1)
Full scene anti-alias: Yes
Storage medium: 2X to 5X DVD, 8GB hard disk
I/O: Four game controller ports, Ethernet (10/100)
Audio channels: 256, AC3 encoded game audio
3D audio support: Yes
Midi/DLS2 support: Yes
Broadband enabled: Yes
Modem enabled: No
DVD movie playback: Yes
Gamepad included: Yes
Maximum resolution: 1920x1080
Maximum resolution (2x32bpp frame buffers + Z): 1920x1080
HDTV support: Yes[/quote]

You did read the topic title right? Where do you see anything or anyone in this thread mentioning Xbox at all?

[quote name='dastly75']Gamecube has the fastest loading times for games in comparison to XBOX or PS2. XBOX is the most powerful, then GCN and then PS2. You didn't ask about games but IMO I think GCN has best quality ratio when it comes to good games versus bad.[/quote]

[quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='Tromack']Gamecube is definitely more powerful. A few games on the PS2 hold up next to the best of the Xbox and Gamecube (the Metal Gears, ZOE2, and FFX-2 come to mind), but I can think of no games that run better on the PS2 (save for those that were designed for the PS2 and through the laziness of programmers had shitty ports made).[/quote]

How does FFX-2 rival the best of Gamecube and Xbox? I can understand the Metal Gear's and ZOE2, but FFX-2?[/quote]

mtxbass1 u did read these posts right? i bolded the word for u since u seemed to have missed em, i put the xbox specs since the other two were up and it dont hurt to compare all of them, but being the asshole u are, u had to come and try to be a smartass, re-read all the posts again b4 u got something smart to say

[quote name='slidecage']is the Gamecube more powerful then the PS2[/quote]

Graphically? Yes!

But according to sales charts, PS2 is still scraping Gamecube from off its boot.

So technically, PS2 is more powerful than Gamecube! :wink:

Yeah, my Gamecube did about 50 pull ups with its handle. The PS2 just looked up at it and refused to read puny blue-bottom discs, so yeah, I'd say Gamecube's more powerful :wink:

I'd say the cube is more powerful and another aspect when it comes to multi-console games at least, is that the PS2 is suposedly the hardest console system to program and develop a game for out of the 3 big ones.

[quote name='greyzieoriental'][quote name='dastly75']Gamecube has the fastest loading times for games in comparison to XBOX or PS2. XBOX is the most powerful, then GCN and then PS2. You didn't ask about games but IMO I think GCN has best quality ratio when it comes to good games versus bad.[/quote]

[quote name='XboxMaster'][quote name='Tromack']Gamecube is definitely more powerful. A few games on the PS2 hold up next to the best of the Xbox and Gamecube (the Metal Gears, ZOE2, and FFX-2 come to mind), but I can think of no games that run better on the PS2 (save for those that were designed for the PS2 and through the laziness of programmers had shitty ports made).[/quote]

How does FFX-2 rival the best of Gamecube and Xbox? I can understand the Metal Gear's and ZOE2, but FFX-2?[/quote]

mtxbass1 u did read these posts right? i bolded the word for u since u seemed to have missed em, i put the xbox specs since the other two were up and it dont hurt to compare all of them, but being the asshole u are, u had to come and try to be a smartass, re-read all the posts again b4 u got something smart to say[/quote]

Read the original post. It has nothing to do with an Xbox at all. You didn't even specify what you were even remotely trying to answer. You mindlessly post some Xbox specs like anyone here even cares. Before you call me an asshole, I suggest you wake up and understand that you were off topic in the first place, and you mention NOTHING about what you are even responding to.

PS. u and b4 are not words. I would suggest learning how to spell.

Gamecube is more poewerful....the better system...Its your opinion to me PS2 is my fav due to the huge amounts of games that interest me. And my PS2 has never had a problem reading blue bottom disks...hmm I wonder why some do (besides lack of taking care of it)

Not sure but an old xbox magazine I read a couple of years ago had their statitistics. Gamecube did have more bigger numbers than PS2 though!

A simple search on google can anwser that question. Usually Multi Platform games run better on the Cube for obvious reasons, but there are exceptions to the rule.

Anyone have a spare PS2 and GCN To huzz at a wall? I'll bet money that the GCN will be in better condition than the PS2 when it lands :p

The gekko is a highly modded powerPC cpu. (IBM makes CPUs for Apple, the irony is disgusting)

The actual speed of the gekko is a little more than double that of the "emotion engine" according to Nintendo and Sony, but I don't trust them.

The gekko is extremely small (it can fit on the fingernail of your pinky with room to spare) and the chip is made out of copper instead of silicon, which is rumored to clock much faster than silicon chips with similar designs.

Both schematics are kept secret so there is no real way of knowing how each performs, unless you are a master hardware hacker, because the processors only work in their respective consoles.

If the GC is running on a similar architecture to an apple computer than it's easy to understand how it can be more efficient than the PS2.

If the EE relies on separate processors (vector units) to do it's work where as if the the GC's processor is a single chip it'd be able to execute faster, it means it could be weaker but do more things quicker with less eneergy expended thus making the system more powerful where it counts.

The GC is more powerful, but the PS2 supposedly has a complex architecture that can unlock a lot of the machine's hidden potential if the programmers spend time with it and develop games properly for it. It's just harder and takes longer to optimize the code for the PS2 so games end up looking not as good as the other consoles due to time and money constraints. It's not all machine though, as a lot of it also depends on the game and the programmers involved. For example, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance runs choppy as hell on the Gamecube but it runs smoothly on the PS2 and XBox. The XBox and PS2 versions of Def Jam: Fight For NY are supposed to have a nice soft glow postprocessing effect that the Cube version lacks. SSX 3 has more moves on the PS2 version because of the button layout, and many people prefer the control scheme and the look of the Cube Viewtiful Joe. And the XBox and Cube versions of Metal Arms: GITS have lighting effects that the PS2 version lacks. etc etc...

When buying a multiplatform game, I find that it helps to read the Gamespot review because they always have a little space toward the end of the review that talks about the differences between the console versions. It's helped me out quite a bit with my purchases.

bread's done
Back