Is the Mana series for the DS worth it?

joe50000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I've been debating picking up Children of Mana and Heroes of Mana, because i'm a huge Mana fan. However, these games have gotten really, really, REALLY bad reviews. I did enjoy Sword of Mana for GBA and thought that was a great translation, and I personally don't think that the series has aged badly or anything like that. To owners of these games, I beseech thee! are they worth picking up?

I had a blast playing through Children of Mana. It's definitely not as bad as everyone says and you'll have a great time if you're a big fan (which you are).

[quote name='joe50000']I've been debating picking up Children of Mana and Heroes of Mana, because i'm a huge Mana fan. However, these games have gotten really, really, REALLY bad reviews. I did enjoy Sword of Mana for GBA and thought that was a great translation, and I personally don't think that the series has aged badly or anything like that. To owners of these games, I beseech thee! are they worth picking up?[/quote]

Glancing at gamerankings, Children has an average 67.3, and heroes, 64.2, I don't consider that really bad, thats more aquired taste reviews.

I have children of mana and the gameplay is sound and fun, but the storyline may as well not exist much at all. it's pretty much mana but almost entirely a dungeon crawl, not much else to it.

Heroes on the other hand i dont have, but from what I remember, it seemed like a good idea and execution, but the inability to select individual members etc on the small ds screen really hurt it.

Well.... my collector tendencies are getting the better of me...

That and I really do adore the Mana series.

Still, I thought those reviews were pretty lopsided. They could easily have hurled many of those same criticisms at the Final Fantasy remakes/rereleases...

I played CoM almost entirely in multiplayer, and it was kind of buggy. There was constant lag. It's ironically probably better in single-player.

If you are into the classic mana/seiken densetsu series then get Children of Mana. Heroes of Mana is nothing like the class action/rpg game but more of a strategy game with mana elements to it. Children of Mana is definteily worth the pick up if you can find it for around $10-$15. Don't pay more than that though.

i got Both

loved children of mana very very fun game..

Got Heroes of mana brand new free (when i got chrono trigger at gamecrazy) Buy 1 get 1 free day after thanksgiving. Have not open it yet BUT i rented it when it first came out and it was an AWFUL game

the AI is very very stupid and will just run and get themself killed.... I just picked it up cause it was the only game in the FREE pile that i wanted .

I would give up to 15 for children but would never pay more then 10 for HEROES

[quote name='pete5883']I played CoM almost entirely in multiplayer, and it was kind of buggy. There was constant lag. It's ironically probably better in single-player.[/quote]

I normally prefer my Square games to stay single player.

[quote name='Squarehard']I normally prefer my Square games to stay single player.[/QUOTE]

guess you never played the original secret of mana

Huge mana fan and could only get half way through Children of Mana before quiting. Sadly snes mana's are only ones with any real magic and the rest are all experiential buggy lackluster games.

Mana fan and I played all the way through Children of Mana. Some combinations of the forged gems are pretty awesome, and I wanted to play through the game again with the other characters to get their unique weapons.

Okay thanks. Love Children of Mana so far but I tried out Heroes of Mana with a friend and was really disappointed. Seriously, the AI was really bad...

Aww crap I was too late too response. I could of prevented you from play Heroes of Mana. God, that game is awful. A RTS for home console? You know it's doom to begin with!

The AI is dumb as fuck. Every time you mine for gold your own units will pretty much obstruct it's path throughout the game or they mindlessly move throughout the map. Heroes are practically useless in this game since they're just as strong as ordinary units. In fact, their worse. If they die, it's game over buddy. It's doesn't help that game is harp by bad controls. The most strangest part about this game is they advertise it as RTS, but in fact it's a turn based strategy game. The grids are invisible. Thus, creating some really awkward movement.

bread's done
Back