Is the Playstation Move worth it for $90?

Jimbo1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have a 10% coupon from Gamestop. It expires on October 31st. I was wondering if the Move would be worth it for $90 (after applying the coupon)? I'm interested in the Time Crisis bundle, the Shoot, and Sports Champion. However, I'm not sure how good those games are since I've never played them or any of their demos. How well does the move control? Also, do you think the Playstation Move will have a sale during Black Friday?

Sports Champions is pretty good, and the demo for Time Crisis was a blast. If the move seems like something you would be interested in I say go for it, I like mine.

Sports Champions is the #1 game on the Move right now. So if you're interested in the technology, and are willing to wait for some OTHER quality games, Sports Champions is a great way to start.

Whether it's currently worth $90 is debatable, but I think if you're expecting to EVENTUALLY get it, then I'd say the SC bundle is worthwhile.

The ONLY reason why I like the move is because my 3 year old daughter enjoys playing Eye Pet and Start the Party. I enjoy the shooters but I don't know how much support they are going to get.

couldn't you just use the $20 off $100 coupon for gamestop and get it for $80? If it is because you have trade-ins just have them give you the trades on a gift card then use it on gamestop.com. I wrote up a review on (*edit* - removed the website since I dont want to be called a shill). where I gave it a 7 out of 10. *edit* I copied the review here for you:

Review: Playstation Move

by Major Scud

When I made the decision to pick up the Playstation Move to complement my Wii and pre-ordered Kinect, I knew that I was probably in for a Wii 1.5 experience on my Playstation 3. I figured that the games would be remakes of Wii games with online play, HD graphics, and trophies. After getting my Move and playing with it for some time now, I’ve come to the conclusion that I was basically incorrect in some ways and correct in others.

One thing that effected my gameplay with several titles is a lack of overhead lighting in my living room. These titles had trouble tracking me in the evening and at night. Games like EyePet that ask you to make hand motions seemed to have a bit of trouble recognizing every motion made (much to the anger of my spouse trying to catch the EyePet in her hand). My wife wasn’t too happy when I started hanging up improvised lighting solutions to remedy the situation, and certainly wasn’t happy when I revealed after spending $100 for the move bundle, $50 for a 2nd move, and $10 for Tumble, that I would now need to invest in an electrician to install an overhead light in the room.

Another issue was that some games were constantly losing track of the move remote. Racquet Sports was unplayable sometimes. The screen would flash that it lost the move remote (despite the fact I was aiming it right at the camera) and my character would flail around like they were having a seizure. This is a problem I’ve never encountered on the Wii. The infared sensor bar picks up my motions in the middle of the day with all of the windows open to the bright Florida sun and in the middle of the night with the lights off enjoying Resident Evil 4. Speaking of Resident Evil, I hope future titles in horror genres that are best played in the dark dont try to incorporate any body tracking or hand waggling and just stick to tracking the glowing ball at the end of the move.

The way that the move is better than the Wii as a controller is that some games support two wands for a single player. This is great in gladiator arena and archery for sports champions. When the camera did work in the daytime the ability to have the camera recognize things like petting the eyepet were a hit with my spouse. Then there are the benefits that come with the PS3 hardware. One way that it is worse then the Wii is the lack of a d-pad on the Move wand. Navigating menus by holding the trigger and motioning in the direction you want to go was less than ideal. I kept reaching for a d-pad that wasn’t there.

Liked:

· Using 2 Move wands in some games was something I always dreamed would be great on the Wii, but I’ve never seen it done (at least in a game I have played). On the move its everything I dreamed the Wii could do.

· Potential. The Move has a lot of potential going for it. The fact that its basically an HD Wii means that ports for the Move and the Wii will probably start coming pretty often, and given the choice between the two I’d probably go with the move unless its a game I want to play at night that uses the camera for body tracking (see lighting in disliked)

· Patching for older games. The move working with Little Big Planet, Resident Evil 5, and Heavy rain is pretty awesome. This gives me high hopes that big titles will continue to have Move support incorporated into them.

Disliked:

· The price. For the bundle and an extra controller it was $150. If I wanted to play 2 player gladiator arena in its fullest I would need to invest another $100 on 2 more Move wands. The navigation controllers while not strictly necessary are another $30 a piece. Making a setup that would allow for 2 players to enjoy the Move in every way a game could require to spend about $310. That is a lot of money. If you don’t even own a PS3 yet then you are going to need a second mortgage.

· Lighting issues. I am hoping I can figure out a less expensive lighting plan than paying an electrician to install an overhead light. The fact that I might not be able to play Move horror games in the dark because the camera needs to see me is leaving me worried about that genre on the Move. The kinect will probably suffer much more from lighting issues to be fair.

· Navigating menus with just the move controller was a pain. The wii at least has the d-pad on it, something I kept reaching for on the move before remembering it does not have one.

Overall Score: 7 The Move has lots of potential, but it hasn’t shown that its worth all that money just yet. I didn’t recommend it to family or friends, but if Sony can get some great titles out for it, then I might change my tune.

1-3: It’s just plain broken. Score means its unplayable or playable only by masochists.

4-5: It’s not broken but I wouldn’t recommend it

6-7: It’s ok. I wouldn’t tell you to run out and get it, but if you chose to do so I wouldn’t stop you

8-9: Great. why are you reading a review? Go buy it now!

10: Perfection in video game form.

(Played the move over 4 days with my spouse. Played full retail version of some titles and trial versions of Racquet Sports, Eyepet, and Ruse.)

[quote name='majorscud']couldn't you just use the $20 off $100 coupon for gamestop and get it for $80? If it is because you have trade-ins just have them give you the trades on a gift card then use it on gamestop.com. I wrote up a review on gamerjunk.net where I gave it a 7 out of 10.[/QUOTE]

The code doesn't work with move

Thanks for the replies everybody and the review, majorscud.

I think I'll wait until Black Friday to see if there are any deals.

[quote name='Jimbo1']I think I'll wait until Black Friday to see if there are any deals.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's where I am, too. I just don't need it yet, but when it's nice and cheap, I'll bite.

[quote name='Jimbo1']I have a 10% coupon from Gamestop.[/QUOTE]
That UFC coupon is supposed to be $10 off. Not 10% off.

If you contact gamestop, they will take $10 off your order. They will tell you to place the order without the coupon and email them the order #. It works out better for a cheaper game.

I bought it at a whim. Bought the $99 bundle, a second motion controller and a navigation controller. Played Heavy Rain again and I have to admit it's better with the move than with the dualshock.
The Heavy Rain patch or whatever was a little over a gig of memory lol.

I had enough Sony Rewards points to get the main controller for free & I already had the Eye - so I was only out of pocket $20 for the Navigation controller (after a $10 Amazon coupon). For that price, I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. But if I had had to pay full price for it, I would have had to wait until there were more games available for it.

I had already decided I was going to have it by the time Dead Space 2 comes out to play Extraction with it, so I wouldn't have waited THAT long regardless. ;)

Ok so after playing the Sports Champion some more, I have to say it's a blast. My favorite being the archery.
I'm waiting on a price drop of Resident Evil 5 Gold.

bread's done
Back