Is the racing wheel worth getting despite the 270 degrees of rotation?

equest943

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I am highly considering buying a racing wheel, but when I heard that it had such a limited amount of rotation I was unsure how it would feel turning at sharp apexes. Does it still feel natural despite the limited movement or does anyone think it spoils some turns during the game? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I think Forza 3 is awesome, but it would be more awesome with a good steering wheel.

I think probably once you get used to it the limited rotation won't be a huge deal, unless you're a pretty serious racer. And if you are a pretty serious racer, maybe you will try to budget for the Fanatec Turbo 911 wheel which (supposedly, as I don't own it... yet) is light years beyond the MS wheel. Unfortunately it's also 3-5 times the price.

Kind of a bummer that there is such a limited selection of wheels for the 360 and that you cannot use the Logitech ones.

Yeah, Logitech needs to put out some racing wheels for the 360. Heck, I'd just like one of similar quality, but that has a clutch peddle. Crazy that the 360 Wheel doesn't have one.

I thought it worked really well on arcade racers like burnout, but on more realistic games like forza it made the game much harder, the wheel has no resistance so any quick motion will result in you losing control of your car and hitting a wall.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yeah, Logitech needs to put out some racing wheels for the 360. Heck, I'd just like one of similar quality, but that has a clutch peddle. Crazy that the 360 Wheel doesn't have one.[/QUOTE]

In the words of Top Gear "its got a flappy paddle gearbox".

IMO its not worth it, I have used it on NFS, Forza, and Midnight Club games and I run better times just using the controller. Luckily for me it only cost me $25 so I don't feel too ripped off.

[quote name='dusty737']I thought it worked really well on arcade racers like burnout, but on more realistic games like forza it made the game much harder, the wheel has no resistance so any quick motion will result in you losing control of your car and hitting a wall.[/QUOTE]

It has plenty of resistance. You have to plug it in to get the force feedback though, if you just use batteries it doesn't work.

The fanatec wheel looks awesome, but has there been any reviews on it or has anyone on this website used it before? I'm fairly sure I don't want to put down $250 on an accessory but I would really like the best possible experience out of Forza (if my wallet allows me to do so).

The Fanatec wheel is more around the $500-$600 price range with the clubsport pedals after shipping...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to threadjack but are any of these wheels compatible with both 360 and PC? I'd feel better dropping ~100 bucks if I knew it wouldn't be gone by the next generation of consoles.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Hate to threadjack but are any of these wheels compatible with both 360 and PC? I'd feel better dropping ~100 bucks if I knew it wouldn't be gone by the next generation of consoles.[/QUOTE]

The MS wheel is supported by the wireless controller adapter, don't know how good it is with any pc games though. Don't know about the Fanatec one though (it better if you need to drop ~$500 on it).

IIRC the fanatec wheel is compatible with the 360, PS3, and PC. While expensive you at least can use the same wheel with any platform, thus maximizing your investment.

If you look on youtube there are several (and some quite in-depth) reviews on the Fanatec wheel. Including one pretty in-depth tutorial on how to swap wheels around between two Fanatec units. This last video was pretty cool as it allows you a view of the innards of the wheel so you can judge for yourself whether or not it has quality engineering/build construction.

The cost issue AFAIK is that there is an expensive licensing process and proprietary interface protocols to get a peripheral approved to use on the 360. There is no such issue (or at least as severe) for peripherals on the PS3 or PC, hence why there are more options for those platforms but not the 360. I believe logitech has stated several times that they would love to make their wheels available for the 360 but the cost and the fact that alternative hardware must be used (again, proprietary interface protocols) makes it very difficult to do.

This is also why the Fanatec wheel compatible with the 360 is about $100 more than the same wheel that is only compatible with the PS3 and PC. Fanatec makes a version of the wheel available with clubsport pedals included for $300 but it is only compatible with the PS3 and PC. The PS3/PC/360 version is $500 although it does include a couple extras like the shifter which I don't think comes on the other version. The fanatec website has all the details of course.

Ruahrc

[quote name='Sdawg']The MS wheel is supported by the wireless controller adapter, don't know how good it is with any pc games though. Don't know about the Fanatec one though (it better if you need to drop ~$500 on it).[/QUOTE]

Well if they sold those goddamn adapters separately I'd be all over it, but they stopped selling them aside with the controller pack :bomb:

malls around the US are starting to pop up with xbox 360 booths, they have Forza 3 with a 360 racing wheel bolted to a chair. A great way to test it out for yourself. As for the investment? Consider some ppl spend a lot of $ on their rock band games, this is no different. If it enhances your playing experience, then it's worth it.

bread's done
Back