Is the touchscreen supposed to be dimmer than the top screen?

jaso

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
I just picked up a crimson DS lite, and I've noticed that the bottom touch screen is slightly dimmer than the top screen. For instance, at the start-up menu, the top screen is starch white and the bottom screen is more like a flat white. And at the Zelda start-up screen, the blues of the sky are more vivid than the blues of the water, and the foam of the sea is more a cream color than white in the bottom screen as well. Is this normal, or are both screens supposed to be equally bright? Sorry if I sound vague.

I never noticed, but if it's slightly (like you say) than I wouldn't worry about it

thinking about it, I do think the top screen IS a bit more vivid. But like you said, it's only slightly.

Yes, that is normal. The bottom screen has an extra layer for touch sensitivity that partially obscures the screen (if you look at it just right, you can actually see the little grid that determines the touch screen). That's why I always play GBA games on the top screen.

For the iphone, but pretty sure the DS is similar:
iphone-8.jpg

I do remember this very topic being asked before...maybe it was on another site. The touch screen is slightly dimmer than the top for the reasons above, but also the Crimson DS was the first to use a cheaper backlight, making the DSL Onyx & Polar Whites have slightly brighter touch screens.

[quote name='Caliburn']I do remember this very topic being asked before...maybe it was on another site. The touch screen is slightly dimmer than the top for the reasons above, but also the Crimson DS was the first to use a cheaper backlight, making the DSL Onyx & Polar Whites have slightly brighter touch screens.[/QUOTE]

This is no longer true.

What really appears to have happened is that somewhere along the way, Nintendo changed the backlight and the screen on all new systems. I have had several white DS and the difference was very noticeable between the old and current versions. I actually returned my newer DS several times in an attempt to get another one of the old versions with no success. I had an old version white, but I had to return it. :cry:

The current DS systems (all colors) have slightly dimmer backlights on both screens, and the touch screen has a off-white color (probably just less blue than the top). Also the touch screen has the LCD "greasy" look. You might not even see this effect until you know what to look for. A side-by-side comparison makes it instantly obvious.

It's a shame since the screen quality on the older ones was amazing. You can get lucky and still find the old versions, but I couldn't figure out any correlation between the serial numbers and the revision, so you will have to buy & turn it on to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zing']
The current DS systems (all colors) have slightly dimmer backlights on both screens, and the touch screen has a off-white color (probably just less blue than the top). Also the touch screen has the LCD "greasy" look. You might not even see this effect until you know what to look for. A side-by-side comparison makes it instantly obvious.[/quote]

This is exactly what I mean. I used to have a polar white DS Lite (one of the launch units), so I immediately began worrying the second I powered up my crimson DS. This alleviates my worries that the screen's defective, but it also makes me wish I'd bought another polar white DS instead of going for the prettier, "newer is supposedly better" crimson.

Thanks for making me feel less crazy.

Is there any stores online or otherwise where you can buy a new version of the fat DS. I just bought but didn't open my new lite but it seems less durable then the bigger ones, plus the bottons are smaller and everything, I'd really like to have a new older one.

Oddly enough, my DS Lite's touchscreen has a brighter screen than the top. I kinda prefer it that way though, since most of the action is usually on the lower screen.

[quote name='jputahraptor']Is there any stores online or otherwise where you can buy a new version of the fat DS. I just bought but didn't open my new lite but it seems less durable then the bigger ones, plus the bottons are smaller and everything, I'd really like to have a new older one.[/QUOTE]

I wish. I wanted to grab an original DS as well. I would want it new-in-box. Ebay doesn't even list any in its 60 day history.

Keep in mind that the original DS screens were very dim. As dim as the lowest setting on the Lite. Unplayable outdoors is what I am saying. Also, since the "clamshell" didn't create any sort of seal, dirt and objects can easily get between the screens while the DS is closed. I think that between these two issues, the Lite is the way to go.

I still would like a fatty, though.

bread's done
Back