Is the Vita Worth it?

Righteous Nixon

CAGiversary!
I have never owned a handheld gaming system before and to be perfectly honest, I have never even tried any of them. I don't know anyone that owns handhelds so I have never gotten a chance to even try them. I just never had any interest in handhelds. They just never appealed to me. There isn't much more I can really say about it beyond that. I am basically a console/PC gamer and always have been.

Anyways, I was rummaging through all of the games available on the Sony Store a few weeks back, when I discovered all the classics Sony had available. Games like Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII, IX, etc.. I was unaware that these were available on the Sony Store. I have been like a kid in a candy store ever since. Then I noticed some of the games that were only available on the Vita. Games like Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. That in turn got me looking at all of the other games available for the Vita and...well, its a pretty impressive list of games. 

I am already a PS+ subscriber so being able to play the free Vita games would be nice bonus. I just can't figure out if its really worth it or not. Sure, I would love to play some of those games, but is it really worth another 200 bucks when I already have a disgusting large backlog of games on my consoles and PC? Again, I just can't decide, one way or the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you care about the OLED screen you can get one at cowboom for 119. Vita seems to be made for you.The guy that really likes Final Fantasy. 

Yeah, I recently ordered one from Cowboom for $119--still waiting on delivery as the ice storm last week has UPS way behind in my area.

I decided it was worth it because of the PS+ games I've grabbed over the past couple years, some exclusives I want to play like Tearaway and Persona 4 Golden, and that I'll use the remote play once I get a PS4 (I use it on Wii U a good bit when the fiance is using the TV).

I also have a pretty decent backlog on PS3, Wii U and 3DS, so I was a bit hesitant for that reason.  But decided what the hell and took the plunge.

I think your deciding factor should be if there any non PS+ games you want to play on it. Any games that you are interested in will fuel your interest after you dig through your PS+ Vita list.

I got my Vita on an impulse a year ago for 150 with three games and a 16gb memory card and I thought it was amazing. The 3ds has a better game library but the vita display and presentation beats the 3ds. I initially got mine to play Tactics Ogre and Persona 4 Golden. I've lately expanded to import Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus. 

I actually find my myself playing the Vita more than my ps3. The second factor I have is if are you interested in the mobility and if you will actually use your vita system.  After I beat VLR, I wondered how I played 35 hours in a week and a half. I realized I took my vita with me and popped it open every time I was sitting around or idle. You can play it anywhere and don't need to be in front of a TV. 

Third the vita works very well with PS+ free games, and cross-buy games. The best games like this are cross-buy and cross-save like Guacamelee when I can transfer my save between my vita and ps3. If you have been adding the PS+ Vita games you will have at least 10 games to start with once you get a memory card.

Nah its not worth it man. It sucked out of me hundred hours of my life time and I cant stop playing on it, dont do it if you care about your life more than gaming :D

Yeah, I'm sure you could get a bunch of mileage just using it as a portable PS1/PSP thingie if you want to dig into older Final Fantasy games in particular (or spin-offs like Dissidia/Crisis Core) or just RPGs in general. I think there are quite a few great games on the system as well (P4G, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, DJMax: Technika Tune, Ys: Celceta, etc). That said, you absolutely need a decent memory card to get much mileage out of the system (obviously because of PS+, but the PS1/PSP stuff, or just Vita stuff in general, adds up very quick)

Granted, there aren't a lot of western games on the system (unless you count indie ports), so if aren't willing to check out more obscure Japanese stuff, like most of the upcoming/recent games (DanganRonpa, Toukiden, Demon Gaze, etc), you may be pretty limited in the system exclusive games beyond the current standouts.

Even though its not getting the love from developers its worth every cent:p

I got mine for Persona 4 golden. But the log of psn+ games definitely make it worth it.

I picked mine up when they dropped to $199 and I have not regretted it one bit.  I had been downloading PS+ vita games since they started putting them in the rotation so I had an instant backlog.  I am shocked to find how much I use it as a remote play for my ps4.  It is great being able to play some Don't Starve or whatever else before going to bed or when my bride is watching something on the television.  It really works well.  I find that I want the remote play to work on my PS3 library. 

I picked mine up when they dropped to $199 and I have not regretted it one bit. I had been downloading PS+ vita games since they started putting them in the rotation so I had an instant backlog. I am shocked to find how much I use it as a remote play for my ps4. It is great being able to play some Don't Starve or whatever else before going to bed or when my bride is watching something on the television. It really works well. I find that I want the remote play to work on my PS3 library.
I basically want the same for ps3. The girlfriend hogging the tv isn't all that fun.

Yeah, remote play when I get a PS4 was a big part of the appeal for me. I use the off tv on Wii U a fair amount when my fiancee is using the TV. I can usually just ask her to use the other TV (if she's streaming something as that one only has a roku and bluray, no cable hooked up), but I don't care enough about gaming on the TV for most things to bother if she's working in front of the TV.

Anyway, got my Vita from Cowboom yesterday. It's in great condition and I'm really enjoying it so far. Nice hardware, and have a bunch of good games to check out from PS+.

I think your deciding factor should be if there any non PS+ games you want to play on it. Any games that you are interested in will fuel your interest after you dig through your PS+ Vita list.

I got my Vita on an impulse a year ago for 150 with three games and a 16gb memory card and I thought it was amazing. The 3ds has a better game library but the vita display and presentation beats the 3ds. I initially got mine to play Tactics Ogre and Persona 4 Golden. I've lately expanded to import Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus.

I actually find my myself playing the Vita more than my ps3. The second factor I have is if are you interested in the mobility and if you will actually use your vita system. After I beat VLR, I wondered how I played 35 hours in a week and a half. I realized I took my vita with me and popped it open every time I was sitting around or idle. You can play it anywhere and don't need to be in front of a TV.

Third the vita works very well with PS+ free games, and cross-buy games. The best games like this are cross-buy and cross-save like Guacamelee when I can transfer my save between my vita and ps3. If you have been adding the PS+ Vita games you will have at least 10 games to start with once you get a memory card.
Sorry for the long dealy in repsonding to some of these posts. I got pulled out of town on a shoot and just got back yesterday evening. Anyways, its the non PS+ games that sparked my interest in the first place. The PS+ games would really be a bonus more than anything else. I wouldn't buy one just because I was getting free games through the PS+ service.

That said, even tho the Vita is a handheld/portable system, I really can't see myself playing it on the go very often and this is one of the main reasons why I am so torn on wether or not to buy one, after all, whats the point in owning a portable system if your never going to play it on the go? I carry a messenger bag with me practically everywhere I go, and I since I basically store my iPad in that bag, it practically goes everywhere I go, yet I almost never use it when I am out of the house. I just rarely ever find myself just sitting around when I am out of the house. So if I did buy a Vita, I would probably use it at home 95% of the time. Again, this is one of the main reasons why I question getting one in the first place after all, I already have an Xbox, XBox360, PS2, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, and even have a Super Retro Trio pre-ordered. Not to mention all of the older generations of consoles (SNES, Genesis, N64 Etc.). My basement is basically like a video game museum and my backlog for current generations is really quite insane when I step back and actually look at it all. Anyways, that is why I am so torn in getting one or not. I just don't know how much I will really wind up using it.

The PS+ games are a nice bonus, as that would at least give me a reason to pick it up and play it, outside of actually buying more games for it. Its really quite ingenious how Sony linked all of its systems through the PS+ program as once you have it for one system, its makes buying the other systems that much more tempting. What are the chances of seeing a price drop anytime soon? The cheaper the system, the more inclined I am to just say screw it and buy one. I really know nothing of the price history for the Vita. What was its initial launch price? If it has had price drops, when was the last one that occurred?

Last edited by a moderator:
I mainly play my portables at home. I like them mostly for indie/retro games that I don't often at on consoles. When I have the option to game in the big screen is rather play a polished AAA game with great graphics etc.

I also love with my fiancé now and share the main tv, so portables (and the Wii U) give me a chance to game when she's using the tv etc. which is nice.

But if you don't game on the go and don't share your gaming tv, then maybe a portable isn't worth it if you don't think it has games you'd want to play over stuff you have on the consoles.

bread's done
Back