Is the website www.dvdplanet.com Legit?

I believe the website was purchased by deepdiscount.com when the physical DVDPlanet location in Southern California went out of business.

Both companies have the same address as:

900 N Rohlwing Road
Itasca, IL 60143

[quote name='bossman']Bad reviews on ResellerRatings...I would stay away

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/DVD_Planet[/QUOTE]

Only 1 of those reviews is within the last 9 years, and it was 2 years ago...

Anyway... I used to buy from them all the time, but it's been years. If it is the same as deepdiscount, yeah, they are legit, but their packaging is some of the worst.

Ordered from them a couple weeks ago. Oddly enough the one item listed as "backordered" showed up first, in the same style of tight bubble envelope that DeepDiscount uses. So far so good.

They used to be DigitalEyes.net I believe, and one of the great things about them back then was that they used to take trade-ins for DVDs (and eventually Blu-Rays). This was before Amazon did any of that. I ended up getting something like $200-300 in trade-in credit or so. I still have $40-45 left that I haven't used.

I'd say they're legitimate. I don't shop there normally, but I never had any major issues with them to be honest (other than their value shipping taking 5 days to ship to me even though I live like 20 minutes away). Then again the last thing I ordered from them was over 6 months ago (and it was a DVD set for someone else) so I didn't get a chance to see their packaging.

They used to be DigitalEyes.net I believe, and one of the great things about them back then was that they used to take trade-ins for DVDs (and eventually Blu-Rays).

DVD Planet actually used to be Ken Crane's way back in the day (the biggest laserdisc online dealer, also a retail chain in SoCal), but then "rebranded" themselves and later was bought out by Deepdiscount. At some point they merged with Digitaleyes and absorbed them. Their trade-in program was cool -- the closest thing to it outside of Amazon is Secondspin.com, which is tied in with Deepdiscount now (all the discs you ship go to the same warehouse in Illinois).

I placed an order from DVD Planet last week and got it in 5 days. My DDD order also got here in 5 days. Looks like they've turned a corner in that regard. Their warehouse also handles all shipping for Warner's Archive program so they aren't a fly-by-night operation...the main worry is how long it takes them to ship things out, but as I said, my experiences from their most recent sale were really positive, so hopefully they'll keep it up. The big problems they had seemed to be when they had the ownership changeover.

I've ordered the Star Wars Blu-Ray Saga from them so I'm not sure how long that will take since it's a preorder. I wouldn't care if it took two weeks for them to ship since I got an excellent deal on it. I don't remember if you mentioned what you were looking for, but I hope everything goes well.

bread's done
Back