Is the Wii worth playing if....

davidjinfla

CAGiversary!
Is the Wii worth playing if you don't have a lot of room to play it in. My gaming tv is in a bedroom and there is maybe a foot of cleareance. I think I would rather stand and play than sit but I would be right on top of the tv and sensor bar.

[quote name='davidjinfla']Is the Wii worth playing if you don't have a lot of room to play it in. My gaming tv is in a bedroom and there is maybe a foot of cleareance. I think I would rather stand and play than sit but I would be right on top of the tv and sensor bar.[/quote]

It all depends on what games you want to play. If you are looking for games which require a lot of movement then maybe it is not best for you. There are a lot of games however which you can just sit there and you will be fine.

You might need some room for Wii Sports, but I 'm able to play most games sitting down with no problems [Zelda, Excite Truck, Monkey Ball].

Wii sports requires a lot of room the way I play it.

But Wii Sports is honestly... well... more of a tech demo than anything. Fun, mind you, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with other games.

Wii Sports is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. If it's just a tech demo, it's the best tech demo ever created.

In the room your going to play in, stand in a spot where you would stand when playing something that requires a lot of motion (like Wii Sports). Make sure it is at least 3 feet away from your TV.

Now, while standing in that spot, complete extend your arm out in front of you. And then go in a circle. If anything touches you hand, chances are you'll hit that while playing the Wii. If not, you should be good to go.

BTW, this is for some games. Some games, like Zelda, don't require that much room.

I don't recommend the Wii if you have small rooms... Yeah, you can argue that you don't need to play WiiSports and other games require you to move around, but taking that away, you got no reasons to get a Wii besides Zelda, Mario and Metro franchise...

Hell, i don't even recommend the Wii if you don't have a big screen TV... Playing Wii Bowling on the little screen is so cheesy that you'll find yourself having more fun playing bowling boardgames (maybe i exaggerated a bit, but close enough).

[quote name='PyroGamer']Wii sports requires a lot of room the way I play it.

But Wii Sports is honestly... well... more of a tech demo than anything. Fun, mind you, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with other games.[/QUOTE]

Wii Sports is the only wii game that I have really enjoyed. I think its more than just a "tech demo" personally.

well at least you wouldn't have any trouble with the power of the sensor bar...

otherwise I'd hate to say Wii drought - but honestly, most of the games don't require a whole lot of space, even Wii sports in my opinion. A hard small gesture works just as well for me.

However, I certainly have more fun acting like an idiot with full motions. That's the point of gaming, right? To have fun? :)

[quote name='rodeojones903']Wii Sports is the only wii game that I have really enjoyed. I think its more than just a "tech demo" personally.[/QUOTE]
I suppose I agree with you. The game does have some undeniable depth.

Also to the OP: you NEED to stand a certain distance away from your sensor bar for it to even work. 1'-2'

I have my Wii setup in my tiny bedroom. The only game that Ive had problems with is Wiisports.

I can do the bowling swing, but I cant step forward and do it, which is how I play at friends houses. It doesnt ruin it for me, but I have to adjust my style. I pretty much have two different wii bowling styles, depending on if Im playing at home or at a friends.

Nearly every other game you can play sitting down so you should have no problems.

I don't know. I'm able to play Sonic and the Secret Rings while sitting on my duff just fine. I suppose it does depend on whatever games you decide to get for the Wii.

It really depends on the game. With that much room I wouldn't be playing Tiger Woods without the nunchuck. Wii Sports Golf/Bowling is probably out too. Things like zelda or anything else that doesn't require big movements would be fine.

The ONLY thing I can't do on my Wii from a foot away is the big cheese stance on Warioware which asks you to stand. I have played every Wii sports game from like a foot away from the TV (and yes I 300'ed in bowling from a foot away). Warioware, no problem except for big cheese, any other Wii game, yeah I play from a foot away. So you will be fine.

Will the pointer even work from a foot away? Seems like I have to step back a good 3 or 4 feet at least (play probably 8 feet away) to get it to work.

The motion stuff should be fine since that's the accelormeters in the controller detecting that.

But you may have problems with the pointer stuff if you can't sit far enough away.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Will the pointer even work from a foot away? Seems like I have to step back a good 3 or 4 feet at least (play probably 8 feet away) to get it to work.

The motion stuff should be fine since that's the accelormeters in the controller detecting that.

But you may have problems with the pointer stuff if you can't sit far enough away.[/QUOTE]

Nope, I have to go at least 3 feet away from my sensor bar to get the pointer to show up.

I would not recommend getting a Wii if you don't have too much room to play it in. It is nearly impossible to function the Wii pointer from a foot away. However, if you generally play the Wii sitting on your bed or whatever takes up the most of your room, you should be fine - although you will miss out on one of the best Wii experiences possible, Wii Sports. You must (MUST) have room for Wii Sports, especially when playing with others. Another game that might require too much room is WarioWare. Every other game I can think of can (and should) be played sitting down, without flailing around.

Theoretically, you could construct your own sensor bar with lights that are closer together that would allow you to function the pointer at a closer distance, but you'd have to look into that yourself (although it potentially requires no construction whatsoever).

EDIT: I actually just did it a second ago. I lit two candles and put them close together so that the flames were about 4" apart, changed the sensor settings in the Wii control menu, and I was very easily navigating the Wii menu from less than one foot away from the candle flames. If you just built one with some old TV remotes or put two small light fixtures next to one another (or just use candles), you could easily accomodate the Wii for a smaller living space.

For a larger living space, pull them farther apart.

I've been using the wii in a small bedroom, and I'm so close to the TV that bowling, baseball etc are all compromised. I haven't played anything else other than Wii sports, so I don't know how those games work, but you definiately need a decent sized room.

Wow, 1-3 feet from the monitor? I don't think the screen size is an issue then... One thing i do notice that, people tend to get closer and closer to the screen when they play Wii Bowling. My setting is about 10 feet for a 56" DLP. When standing, it's about 7-8 feet. I have to constantly remind guests to move back, he/she is too close to the TV. Hey, they can hit the screen with the Wiimote even if it's securely strapped. Nah, actually, i'm worried about their eyesights...

[quote name='Serpentor']Wow, 1-3 feet from the monitor? I don't think the screen size is an issue then... One thing i do notice that, people tend to get closer and closer to the screen when they play Wii Bowling. My setting is about 10 feet for a 56" DLP. When standing, it's about 7-8 feet. I have to constantly remind guests to move back, he/she is too close to the TV. Hey, they can hit the screen with the Wiimote even if it's securely strapped. Nah, actually, i'm worried about their eyesights...[/quote]

Yeah when they step into their bowling throw they don't realize how far out their arm extends, and how close they're getting to my $2k TV :hot:

Always makes me nervous...

bread's done
Back