Is there a CAG for HDTV's? Deal sites?

NWgamer666

CAGiversary!
7/27edit: General feelings in this thread are that we need one consolidated HDTV thread for deal posting/requesting as well as suggestions and criticsms for potential set-ups. I'd like to put a call out to any CAG regular who has a decent knowledge of HDTV related info and price info if possible. Maybe an employee of one of the big B&M's who works in the TV department? If you feel you got the know how and the time please make an uber thread w/ some value minded suggestions.

This would be a big help with black friday on the distant horizon.

Cag has posted some good deals on HDTV's lately, but I was looking for more options than just the phillips outlet. Multiple individual posters have asked, is X Tv a good deal, when this is a more game centric site than say AVS forums. Maybe if someone could point out where a deals page is on AVS forums it would help me, as I find their site difficult to navigate. I do peruse Ecostinfo.com a bit, but there is so much other random junk there. I'd also like to see B&M deals centralized into one place.
Help appreciated.

For a balance of cost and quality, here's my suggestion for the best off brands:
1. Olevia
2. Vizio
3. Westinghouse
4. Emerson
5. Sceptre

The best sites to check are the deal pages such as fatwallet .com and slickdeals.net for deals. B&M, you might check your Wal-Mart if they're known for clearancing stuff (Wal-Mart now carries Vizio). Westinghouse can be found at Best Buy, and Olevia deals can often be found at Circuit City. Check Sunday ads.

Online, keep an eye on frys.com, buy.com and costco.com. Costco has a cheap LCD line called Sceptre. Lots of people like the Sceptres they get. Buy.com was selling some cheap Hannsprees awhile ago, but that company went bankrupt and now people are having a tough time getting rebates.

Also, be on the lookout for which stores have big coupons or coupon codes you can exploit. It often makes a difference.

Thanks for your response. Man, that's a hell of a lot more work than logging onto CAG to instantly find the best deal on games. I gotta browse through 5 different sites? Thanks for the brand suggestions, I was looking to get a big name brand to reduce the possibility of defects/dissapointment. I do have a costco membership, but w/o going on credit, everything there is more than I wanted to spend.

Costco had a really good deal not too long back on a 32-inch Sharp Aquos 720P HDTV for $650 after $150 instant savings. I think that model is back up in the upper $700s, though. That's about as good as it comes.

If you can afford it, definitely hold out for something a little more reputable. I'm waiting for $500 32-inch Sharp or Samsung. I've got my fingers crossed for Black Friday.

Those samsungs at costco sure do appear to be much brighter an deeper color than all the rest of the sets they carried. Obviously as a CAG, I want to spend as little as possible for as much as possible. Downgrading in size in order to get HD, from my big sony crt sd tv just doesn't seem right. Black Friday it is.

I think we should make a thread for this. That way other people can just look in it and get past suggestions and find deals instead of looking through multiple posts.

Yes, I'm definitely all for a thread with this info. I'm desperately looking for a 30"-32" HDTV that doesn't weigh too much (so no tube/projection) to bring into my apartment, and looking to spend under about $550 if possible. A 32" would be amazing, but I only have 31.5" x 31.5" to work with in my entertainment center, so it would basically have to have no borders at all and be just a screen. That size restriction is what's making a cheap one tough to find.

i agree. we should have a HDTV thread here at CAG.

something that will help CAGs, either low budget or no budget at all.

personally, i'm thinking of getting a new hdtv soon. but at the right price at a right time.

You won't find a deal section in AVS. They don't even allow posting of prices on there. It's great for information but you have to hunt down the deals yourself. Just use AVS for info like I did.

Oh and if you have a Microcenter near you, they have pretty good deals on LCD TVs. They usually have a 32" model for around 500. This bi-monthly, it's the Sceptre X32SV-KOMODO and WinBook 32" (No model name listed.)

Good Idea on the HD tv thread idea, however I'm not the one to host it, as I am no HDTV expert. I'll try to change the OP to put out a call to centralize HDTV threads and for a knowledgeable OP. Don't got a microcenter near me. Sad face.

bread's done
Back