Is there a good indie game shop in Toronto?

in the same location "Atrium by the Bay", can access through the TTC area of the Eaton's Centre (dundas side).

There is a small game store there that has much better service and a lot of the times have better prices on stuff like used games.

It's either called Game Centre or Game Shack (haven't been there in a while so I can't remember the name)

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about Game Shack. They used to have a lot of PS1 games, but not the last time I was there, in the summer. :(

There's a Game Centre up by yonge/wellesly as well as one by danforth/pape. Decent prices on used stuff and pretty good service.

Game centre is the best one i've found. PS3 selection isnt amazing, but everything else is good. I even talked the guy down in price on gta 4. Trade in values are on par or higher than eb games.

does anyone know if you can trade dvds in there?

Wow, everyone's already beat me to it. Although, you guys did miss A&C Games at Spadina/Bloor. They don't really deal in new games, but they have a ton of old stuff, even some rare games. Be prepared to pay an arm and a leg though.

Game Centre is an awesome store. The people there are cool and they are very helpful. They are also very knowledgeable. Like canadiancrowe said, their PS3 selection is a bit lacking, but they've got a good selection as well as other video game periphenelia and a dvd selection

I would recommend Game Centre downtown by Yonge & Charles (near Yonge/Bloor station).

That store sells used Blu-rays at good prices as well.

Games like GTAIV and Prince of Persia are modestly priced at around $39.99 used while EB games still sells them for $54.99 used.

Their trade in credit tends to be lower but their lower price range makes up for it.

These threads come back all the time. It would be AWESOME if someone could keep a semi-updated list.

You could also ask the fine folks at cgcc.ca.

game shack is pretty great, the atrium is very chill for a mall.:)
I've only been to game center once but recommend them too.
im not sure if its still there, but I think there is a pretty good one in SQ1 too if you ever out there, had ddr machine.

Just avoid Gamerama. (I hate that hole)

Theres a okay place near dufferin station that has used stuff beware them a bit too since I'e gotten broken games from em a couple of times but they're really cheap and haggling in cash is possible.

^ Are you talking about High Tech or something like that? I've been to the one at Cedabrae mall and the one near Dufferin station. They seem really unorganized, they don't know what games they have in stock most of the time. They need a way to check inventory or something. One example I saw was that this boy wanted a game, the guy claimed they didn't have it, then the boy found it...in the glass display right in front of them. :roll:

The two times I've bought from them (both GBA games), they gave me cases that were dented, even though they had copies that were basically perfect! :bomb: I can't believe I fell for that twice! Prices seem to be ok I guess. Sometimes they have good stuff, but I have mixed opinions about them overall.

I can actually vouche that Hi-tech Video Games (on dufferin) is really good, in terms of games and the owner is really friendly. I dont know what TronB is talking about, but if your game doesnt work, they are usually more than helpful in returning for a copy that does work

Also, if you are looking for oldschool games, A&C Video Games outside of Spadina Station is really good. There prices are somewhat high, but it is understandable as they have rediciously hard to find stuff. The staff is really nice too.

I used to visit Game Centre regularly as well they sometimes have some really good deals and have good service. Got a used copy of Onimusha there once and it was too scratched up to play past a certain point of the game. They happily went through their inventory and gave me the one in best condition a few days later when I went back to exchange it.

If only Ottawa had an indie place. I heard that indie stores in Toronto had No More Heroes in stock while everybody else had to wait another 16 days for their shipment due to the bilingual manuals not being ready. That was a painful wait for the game that turned out to be my favorite Wii title of 2008.

We just have the big chains.

I need to check out Hi Tech and A&C sometime. I've never even heard of these places.

As for Ottawa, I vaguely remember that there was a Microplay on Bank St. That's sort of indie, considering I've never seen one in Toronto. :lol:

[quote name='firehawk12']I need to check out Hi Tech and A&C sometime. I've never even heard of these places.

As for Ottawa, I vaguely remember that there was a Microplay on Bank St. That's sort of indie, considering I've never seen one in Toronto. :lol:[/quote]

There are two of them on Bank Street. The one you're probably talking about is downtown between Gloucester Avenue and Nepean Avenue. It's indie at first sight but it's just another chain store. They might have some hard to find stuff but they sure didn't have No More Heroes before everybody else.

Originally, it was next door to the late, great The Games Room, Ottawa's premier arcade. They moved their operations a few years ago to the corner of Nepean and Bank.

There's actually 4 Microplays here. Bank Street downtown, Bank and Hunt Club, St. Joseph Blvd. in Orleans & Merivale Road in Nepean. The original Microplay on Merivale Road near Kirkwood Drive is gone. Two of them are also Jumbo Videos.

[quote name='kathos']What's wrong with Gamerama?[/quote]

Employees don't give a hoot, and the store is a mess (and I'm not just talking about the games.) Prices are not exactly bargin level either.

What above said.

Once saw a dude take in a kids DS with pokemon fire red and like 5 other games for 50 bucks then try to sell me the used fire red for 24.99 even though they had a new fire red for 19.99 because "Used Pokemon" games are better.

Not to mention the whole blank priced GBA section which they make up prices on the spot for.

Can't stand that place.

bread's done
Back