Is there a list anywhere of rare games?

Badgun

CAG Veteran
I'm looking for a list or website that lists some of the harder to find games both console and pc. Recently, I have been tricked into selling some stuff cheaper because I didn't know what I had was rare. For example, I sold a guy Fallout Tactics for $15 a few weeks ago and now I see he just sold it for $66. I have an absolute ton of old pc games as well as console games and I'd like to know if anything else I have is rare before someone else steals it from me.

[quote name='Genocidal']Because expensive games aren't necessarily rare, and visa-versa.[/quote]

Well, wouldn't that be a better reason to scan ebay for the average closing price than to look at digitpress, which is far more concerned with rarity?

[quote name='JSweeney']Well, wouldn't that be a better reason to scan ebay for the average closing price than to look at digitpress, which is far more concerned with rarity?[/QUOTE]

No, because the two usually do go hand in hand. The vast majority of truly rare titles do go for high amounts. The problem is that amongst the true gems, you have people spending $70 for Chrono Trigger, which is nearly dirt common. Unless you know what's truly rare, you'll be spending far more than you should.

[quote name='Badgun']I'm looking for a list or website that lists some of the harder to find games both console and pc. Recently, I have been tricked into selling some stuff cheaper because I didn't know what I had was rare. For example, I sold a guy Fallout Tactics for $15 a few weeks ago and now I see he just sold it for $66. I have an absolute ton of old pc games as well as console games and I'd like to know if anything else I have is rare before someone else steals it from me.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I bought Fallout Tactics about 4 or 5 years ago from a guy for $10.... I wonder why the sudden rise in price?

I guess it's true, you never can tell what will be rare in the future.

Plus, how were you tricked? You didn't do your own research, either you offered to sell it for $15, or he offered you $15, either way you thought it was a fair price since you took it. Just because you didn't research market values dosen't mean you got "tricked", it just means the other guy was a better negotiator.

Digitpress isn't going to help this guy, he dosen't want to know if something is truly "rare", he means rare in the sense that "can I get alot of money for this item"... I second and third the nominations to just look on Ebay.

[quote name='gamereviewgod']No, because the two usually do go hand in hand. The vast majority of truly rare titles do go for high amounts. The problem is that amongst the true gems, you have people spending $70 for Chrono Trigger, which is nearly dirt common. Unless you know what's truly rare, you'll be spending far more than you should.[/quote]

Truely rare games make up a tiny percentage of all games sold. Both are great resources, but for the average person, EBAY is going to be the tool of choice.

This is because demand, not rarity, is the most important driver of price. Ebay is far better at showing demand than digitpress, which is a terrific tool for showing rarity. A rarity without demand is not going to have a high price, though a common item with demand will.

In all cases, it is best to be as knowledgable as possible, meaning you'd want to consult all possible resources (with these two being chief amongst them) before making decisions, however, if you were going to use only one tool to base your purchases on, Ebay would be best for that.

I suggest this rather bold statement on the fact that you can see real-world information on what the item has been selling for in both the near term and the long term, which is far more valuable than just a simple rarity number and a suggested price, as we can get a statisically significant sampling of this data, and based on the historical information granted us, make informed decisions on the current going price, and make fairly accurate predictions as to the trending of that price.

Remember... something is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it. Based on that concept, Ebay is the superior tool... it shows us what something IS selling for, rather than what something SHOULD be selling for.

bread's done
Back