is there a list of PC games (retail disks) that you can buy used that will work?

Anthony1

CAGiversary!
Ok, here is my situation. I'm a long-time console gamer. Haven't played PC games since the old 3DFX days. (late 90's). I've jumped back on the PC games bandwagon.

Recently, I bought a couple of used PC games off Craigslist. I got Civilization IV and Modern Warfare 2. It turns out that I got screwed on Modern Warfare 2, because the game was tied to a Steam account, and I was unable to install it on my PC. I emailed Steam about it, and they basically explained to me that I need to get a refund from whoever sold me the game, because once it's tied to a Steam account, it's forever tied to that account.

So, I know that the moral of the story is to just by my own games off Steam, etc, etc.

But....

Civilization IV worked just fine. I installed it on the PC, and it's working absolutely fine. So I know that there must be other retail PC games out there, that I can buy used, that will still work on my PC. Certainly, I know that I can no longer buy any used PC games that are tied to somebodies Steam account (unless I actually buy somebodies Steam account and password, but that's against the TOS, and you have to do all that MAC address crap just to use different accounts and such.... too much hassle)

So basically, there has to be a list that somebody has made, of retail PC games that you can play used. Retail PC games that aren't tied into steam.

For example, I remember hearing about certain PC games that you could buy at retail that would allow you to have like 4 different installs or whatever. Like, you could basically put that game on 4 different PC's before the game would stop working. So, there must be people out there that bought brand new PC games at retail, installed it on one PC, beat the game, and now they are selling it used on Amazon or Ebay.

People do sell used PC games on Amazon or Ebay, so there must be some way to get some of these games working. Somebody was telling me, that if I had gotten Modern Warfare 1 instead of 2, I would have at least been able to play the single player game, because the single player game doesn't have any DRM. Supposedly, if you want to play multiplayer, then it does have a CD key, but if you just want to play the single player game, all you need is the disk. Is this true? There has to be a website out there where somebody has gone thru all the trouble of making a list of used retail PC games that people can buy and still play.

I'm a cheap ass gamer, and I have a PC, what am I to do? Sure, sure.... I know that Steam sales are my friend. But I'm trying to buy certain games like Darksiders and Mirror's Edge, and Fallout 3 and stuff like that, and Steam doesn't have those games on sale right now. I know that eventually they will go on sale on Steam, but I'm not trying to wait forever.

What is a cheap bastard to do?

After doing a new search today - there seems to be no list like that.

Overall it would be best to take a look at the deals on STEAM, GOG, IMPULSE, Green Man Gaming, Direct2Drive and other online vendors.

Or

and this will be a lot of work...you can research each game you find individually and check to see if they are tied to STEAM or any of the other services. STEAM is not the only service to be concerned about for example Blizzard's games can be tied to their system also...

It's safe to say that any game you get used or 2nd hand is probably already tied to an account unless it's still in the pack unopened. For example, I often get retail games for free through various reward programs and such...I usually sell them or give them to friends but I never open them so that the buyer can be sure he/she is getting a legit copy.

Before you buy on ebay and/or craiglist - you should ask if it's new. If it's not and you still want it...prepare to get burned a lot.

Also you should look at off beat retailers for real deals like OddJob, Amazing Savings, Target, Staples and other obscure places - for example Modern Warfare 2 (I also saw Doom 3, Hotwheels: Beat That, Titan Quest and No One Lives Forever in the same bin) can be found in Staples bargain bins for $2.99 brand new. These deals are usually local things that may not be advertise but I'm sure you find a local blogger talking about some of this stuff.

I find that a quick google search usually turns up the results. Goozex also mostly blocks out games that can't be played once used, so looking it up there might be a good indicator.

bread's done
Back