Is there a single good Blu Ray Player out there?

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
I'm looking for one that streams Netflix well (a must), has 2D to 3D conversion, and ideally plays many video formats.

This hypothetical blu ray player doesn't seem to exist as far as I can see. Any recommendations?

And if anyone has a 2d-3d player...does it work? How is it in comparison to actual 3D TVs?

Fake edit: I already have a PS3 which is a great Netflix streamer and has pretty good video support (except no mkv). I'd like the 2d-3d conversion though.

You have to have a 3D TV for a 3D bluray to display a 3D Bluray in 3D.

It's not something that converts 2D to 3D, it just means it's a player that can play 3D bluray discs on a 3D TV.

I haven't looked into BR players for a long while, so I don't have any recommendations.

There are players that claim to do 2D to 3D conversion by adding more depth to have some sort of 3d effects.

[quote name='62t']There are players that claim to do 2D to 3D conversion by adding more depth to have some sort of 3d effects.[/QUOTE]
Yeah it's this I'm talking about. And I was just thinking that earlier ssj, would make PS3 probably still the best player out there if it had that feature. Of course I don't know how well that feature works anyway.

I don't know I'll probably either get the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 (relatively cheap at $135) or the Sony BDP-S780 but neither are really ideal.

From what I've read the 3D upconvert gives a general concave appearance at best. Nothing even remotely similar to actual 3D-coded movies.

SD to HD upconvert = best standard feature on BD players
2D to 3D upconvert = silly gimmick of a gimmick

[quote name='ShockandAww']I'm looking for one that streams Netflix well (a must), has 2D to 3D conversion, and ideally plays many video formats.

This hypothetical blu ray player doesn't seem to exist as far as I can see. Any recommendations?

And if anyone has a 2d-3d player...does it work? How is it in comparison to actual 3D TVs?

Fake edit: I already have a PS3 which is a great Netflix streamer and has pretty good video support (except no mkv). I'd like the 2d-3d conversion though.[/QUOTE]
many 3d tv's convert 2d to 3d both of my 3d tv's do

[quote name='mister cheapskate']Here I corrected that for you.[/QUOTE]

Then I ask you, why are you reading, let along posting in a 3d thread if you are so against it? Just to troll?

2D to 3D = Stupid
3D = Pretty cool (depending on the film).

But really, converting 2D to 3D (from a player and/or TV) just looks gross.

[quote name='dmdragon']Then I ask you, why are you reading, let along posting in a 3d thread if you are so against it? Just to troll?[/QUOTE]

Calm down there, kimosabe, there's no mention of 3D in the thread's title.

You get a free pass due to your endlessly entertaining Avatar.

Speaking of Avatar, I just realized tonight that The Abyss still hasn't been released on Blu-ray. James Cameron said he would get to work on restoring that right after Avatar...3 year ago.

[quote name='Kerig']Calm down there, kimosabe, there's no mention of 3D in the thread's title.

Speaking of Avatar, I just realized tonight that The Abyss still hasn't been released on Blu-ray. James Cameron said he would get to work on restoring that right after Avatar...3 year ago.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that :D. He said he only wants to make Avatar sequels now.

Yeah whoever was talking about 3D TVs upconverting 2d to 3D, I know but my TV from late 2010 doesn't do that. Just regular 3D. Apparently the 2D to 3D sucks anyway though so I guess I'll just try to find one that does regular 3D and streams Netflix well and leave it at that.

I really just want one so I'm not constantly using my PS3 to stream Netflix/watch Blus.

And whoever said 3D itself is a gimmick, I disagree. Once we can do it well and without the glasses it'll be a standard feature on every TV imo, and everyone will have it.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Big fan of my panasonic DMP-BDT210

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP...HXXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336480662&sr=8-1

It boots in a second or two, has all the useful apps, a ton of BD options and is great at upconverting

Well worth the money

The interface is a little sloppy but it performs really well and takes the strain off my PS3. The pS3 absolutely destroys it as far as home network streaming though[/QUOTE]
How is the Netflix streaming on it, you know? That may be the one that has the black flicker problem with it? Of course from what I've read the DMP-BDT220 has some syncing issues (video and audio go out of sync) which would be even worse I guess if they don't fix it.

I probably will end up getting one of the two though.

Not to steal his thread or anything, but if I get a 3D blu ray player will it effect the 2D blu rays I play or are the players built to just make the 3D effect better for the 3D blus?

It wont affect 2d movies unless you turn on 2d>3d conversion. 3D players simply have the ability to play 3D BDs. Other than that, they functional just like any other BD player

Why wouldn't you just get another ps3 slim? The ps3 is basically the best blu ray player out on the market like you said. Sometimes with deals you can snag it at around $200 which I guess is above the $130 Panasonic that you listed. I currently have 2 ps3s and its great because you can just hook them up to different tvs.

I mean the reason why the ps3 is so great is because it supports wifi so you can update that way, it supports 3d, and it supports netflix. It's basically a jack of all trades. In addition it obviously plays games and I love the layout of the menu. I mean the exception of the MKV format but I doubt other players would support that anyways. You could just use mkv2vob and it doesn't that that long to convert a file or you could just download the files in mp4 format and it plays fine on the ps3.

[quote name='D.Choy']Why wouldn't you just get another ps3 slim? The ps3 is basically the best blu ray player out on the market like you said. Sometimes with deals you can snag it at around $200 which I guess is above the $130 Panasonic that you listed. I currently have 2 ps3s and its great because you can just hook them up to different tvs.

I mean the reason why the ps3 is so great is because it supports wifi so you can update that way, it supports 3d, and it supports netflix. It's basically a jack of all trades. In addition it obviously plays games and I love the layout of the menu. I mean the exception of the MKV format but I doubt other players would support that anyways. You could just use mkv2vob and it doesn't that that long to convert a file or you could just download the files in mp4 format and it plays fine on the ps3.[/QUOTE]

Reading, you should try it one day.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Reading, you should try it one day.[/QUOTE]

his point is still valid since your only point of interest the ps3 doesn't take care of is 2d to 3d conversion which others with experience have already said is pretty much pointless.

[quote name='oldboy26']his point is still valid since your only point of interest the ps3 doesn't take care of is 2d to 3d conversion which others with experience have already said is pretty much pointless.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter if others said is pointless, that's their opinion. If the OP wants a player with 2D to 3D conversion then the PS3 isn't a good choice. The op has a PS3 already if it was sufficient enough for his needs he wouldn't have made this thread.

I've tried 2d to 3d conversion on my tv before and it's just horrible. Never again.

[quote name='Kerig']Calm down there, kimosabe, there's no mention of 3D in the thread's title.

Speaking of Avatar, I just realized tonight that The Abyss still hasn't been released on Blu-ray. James Cameron said he would get to work on restoring that right after Avatar...3 year ago.[/QUOTE]

And the reason I replied to him was that the only thing I hate more than threadcrapping is threadcrapping with absolutely no facts to back up your threadcrap. Seriously, just coming into a thread and saying something along the lines of "You're gay" doesn't help anyone and it officially makes it the most useless post in the thread. He added no other insight to what the op asked. All is give an incredibly stupid opinion that had no reasoning behind it, nor was it asked for. I'm fairly certain the OP never said anything along the lines of "Hey, what do you guys think of 3d?"

I have to imagine something like a 3D upconverter varies with the type of player you're using, and perhaps even with the generation of the tech being used. It's the type of thing (pronounced: "gimmicK") that will probably improve over time, similar to how DVD upconverters seemed to get better than the first models that were released.

That is true, but without professional editing all it can do is try to pull the layers apart and that just doesn't seem like it's something that can end up getting all that good honestly. At best it seems like it will always be barely 3d.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Reading, you should try it one day.[/QUOTE]

I did read the whole thread prior to posting. I responded based on the fact that everyone in this thread basically stated that the up conversion of 2D to 3D didn't really add value. While that is the opinion of the posters, it pretty much sums up the fact that buying into up conversion of 2D to 3D wouldn't net the best blu ray player out on the market. Instead you would be purchasing one that is inferior to others. The OP was asking for a single good blu ray player out there. I listed one and answered his issue of playing MKV files. It's almost a contradictory topic because the player he chose doesn't even meet the requirements of playing multiple video formats; it only offers the apps and the 2D to 3D conversion.

I never understood why posting on forums would remove the aspects of respect for others. I thought forums were for discussing points and opinions. I never lash out at people if they have an opinion over something or argue a different point. Sorry I put in my 2 cents over the situation. Maybe I should get back to reading since you think that I am so terrible at it.

[quote name='D.Choy']I did read the whole thread prior to posting. I responded based on the fact that everyone in this thread basically stated that the up conversion of 2D to 3D didn't really add value. While that is the opinion of the posters, it pretty much sums up the fact that buying into up conversion of 2D to 3D wouldn't net the best blu ray player out on the market. Instead you would be purchasing one that is inferior to others. The OP was asking for a single good blu ray player out there. I listed one and answered his issue of playing MKV files. It's almost a contradictory topic because the player he chose doesn't even meet the requirements of playing multiple video formats; it only offers the apps and the 2D to 3D conversion.
.[/QUOTE]

Was that an assumption? Because the player he's considering supports multiple file formats including MKV, so it is in fact not inferior to others, but rather matches up with what he's looking for better than most out there.

Panasonic BDT220

2D to 3D Conversion?: Check
Netflix (presumably well)?: Check
Multiple File Formats including MKV?: Check (Source)

• MKV
  • MP4
  • MPEG2
  • AVCHD
  • FLAC
  • MP3
  • MPO
Price: $134 on Amazon (same price at Best Buy, which might be better if you want to return it)

Sony PS3

2D to 3D Conversion: Nope
Netflix: Check
Multiple file formats including MKV?: Supports many, but not MKV

Price: $249.99 on Amazon (same at BB)

Now considering this player just came out in February, I doubt all the people saying 2D to 3D conversion sucks have seen how this particular player handles it, so I'd have to say it's best for the op to order this one and see if it's to his liking (along with the Netflix playback of course). That makes a hell of a lot more sense than buying another PS3 where he knows exactly what he's getting. And in the event that he hates it, he can easily return it to Amazon, or even easier in store at Best Buy.

In terms of support you have to either burn it to a DVD-R or BD-R; USB only supports JPEG /MPO, MP3, MKV. I'd hardly say that's convenient or cost effective for the end user. Who knows maybe the OP doesn't mind doing that.

I think you stated it earlier. It would just make more sense if Sony implemented the 2D to 3D conversion via firmware update. I mean the ps3 basically does everything else, I don't see why they couldn't. Maybe they don't see it as necessary? I for one don't see it as necessary since we already have 3D blu-ray but that's MY opinion.

I wasn't flat out telling the OP what he should do and what he shouldn't do; I only made an suggestion. I sort of mixed in my own situation and how I like having two ps3 which probably wasn't the best approach considering the 2D to 3D argument outweighs everything else it seems. It obviously seems like the whole purpose of this purchase is just for the 2D to 3D conversion. I mean like he said he already has a ps3 and that's one of the top players on the market.

[quote name='D.Choy']In terms of support you have to either burn it to a DVD-R or BD-R; USB only supports JPEG /MPO, MP3, MKV. I'd hardly say that's convenient or cost effective for the end user. Who knows maybe the OP doesn't mind doing that. .[/QUOTE]

How is having a USB drive cost-prohibitive? Even assuming he doesn't have a drive (up to 2TB and has NTFS support!) they don't cost that much money. That's merely a one-time purchase and all he has to do is transfer files to it, and hook it up to the player.

But besides that, the device is DLNA certified and allows the op to play back a number of files through his network. Plus it supports SMB share which he can stream MKV from over WiFi as confirmed by a user at AVSforums:
The good news is that I was able to connect to an SMB share with no problem. The user interface for accessing the share is pretty clunky, but it works. 720p MKV playback with AAC, DTS, and AC-3 audio works fine over 802.11n wifi. Fastforward/Rewind of MKVs is quite a bit better than on my PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='oldboy26']his point is still valid since your only point of interest the ps3 doesn't take care of is 2d to 3d conversion which others with experience have already said is pretty much pointless.[/QUOTE]

Sony's dumbass lack of an IR receiver in the PS3 is worth noting too--though doesn't matter for the OP obviously since he currently uses the PS3 as his BR player.

I already had a standalone BR player before getting a slim PS3 this spring when my 360 was hacked. I still use it as it works fine and I don't feel like shelling out to get an IR receiver for the PS3 so I can use my Harmony remote with it.

But still befuddling that Sony left out an IR receiver for people to use universal remotes given how hard they pushed BR with the PS3.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Sony's dumbass lack of an IR receiver in the PS3 is worth noting too--though doesn't matter for the OP obviously since he currently uses the PS3 as his BR player.

I already had a standalone BR player before getting a slim PS3 this spring when my 360 was hacked. I still use it as it works fine and I don't feel like shelling out to get an IR receiver for the PS3 so I can use my Harmony remote with it.

But still befuddling that Sony left out an IR receiver for people to use universal remotes given how hard they pushed BR with the PS3.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 Blu-Link remote solves that problem well. I've used it since I got my MGS4 PS3 and it still is a fantastic universal remote with built-in BT specifically geared toward the PS3. And at a/b $36 now (I paid $50 for mine when it first came out), it's perfect if you don't need a screen on your remote to play Angry Birds or update Facebook or whatever you can do now-a-days with Harmony. http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Blu-Link-...RYGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336585665&sr=8-1 Edit: There is one downside to this remote. You cannot directly turn off your PS3 with the remote's power button. You have to go through the menu on the system to shut it down. Not a huge deal.

I just have a simple Harmony model--the Xbox 360 one, so no color screen etc. on it.

I just love Harmony remotes for just being able to hit 2 buttons (activities, then the button for the activity next to the screen) to get everything on and on the right inputs. Especially great for when my parents and other non-tech inclined people are staying at my place since it's pretty much moron proof. Vs. having to explain what inputs the tv and surround sound receiver need to be on for each activity and teaching them how to switch each manually etc.

If I'd had a PS3 first, I'd just buy the adapter and deal with the short comings. But since I already had a BR player for a few years before getting a PS3, I'll just stick with it. I'd rather not put the extra wear and tear on the PS3 anyway.

May get the Sony BDP-S590 instead. It has all the same features basically but plays more video file types and the UI is set up like the XMB for the PS3.

Edit: Ordered this one for $130 from Amazon Warehouse.

[quote name='v0yce']Aren't Oppo's generally considered the best?

Although they're pricey.[/QUOTE]
Yeah saw them but not really sure what makes them so pricey. They apparently have some extremely good customer service though according to reviews, which may make it worth it alone for some.

Oppos have great upscalers (which does wonders with DVD content) and have some high end features (support for SACD and possibly dvd-a among other things) and have superior components. At least that was my understanding of Oppos a few years ago.

If you find that the Sony BDP-S590 doesn't play all the videos you want it to, I HIGHLY recommend buying a Western Digital WD TV Live Plus, it plays EVERYTHING:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336718816&sr=1-3

To those that say the PS3 is a great Blu-ray player still, video-wise it's still fine but if you have surround sound, it has aged, stand alone players are capable of much better sound quality than the PS3. How, you ask? Well I just bought a new Yamaha receiver that is capable of DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD sound which most Blu-ray Discs are encoded in. I hook up my PS3 and whichever settings I fiddled with I could not get it to send either of those to the receiver, only PCM since the PS3 does all it's sound decoding internally, so the receiver doesn't do any heavy lifting, which was fine for 2006, when receivers couldn't decode DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD but in 2012, they can. So I bought a Sony BDP-BX58 from Costco for $100, which the only main drawback is it has the old Netflix interface, not an issue since I use my WD TV Live Plus for Netflix. Great 3D Blu-ray Disc player for $100, and I hook it up to my reciever and yep, I get a DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD signal and it sounds SOOOOO much better than the PS3s PCM output. So if you just stick to stereo, the PS3 is fine but if you actually care about 5.1 or 7.1 sound, and the quality of that sound, stand alone players are the way to go.

Harmony remotes are one of the best inventions on earth, I have the one with the Xbox 360 buttons as well, the only huge annoyance I have with it is record is part of the real buttons and eject is not. I, of course have Eject on my screen buttons but I just can't wrap my head around why Logitech neglected an actual Eject button in place of a record button, I have my TiVo remote for any Season Pass setups I do, I don't need it on my Harmony remote, it would make so much more sense to have it be on the screen. Discs are and will continue to be the best way to watch movies in a home theater, eject seems as essential as play and pause on a remote.

I use the record button on my Harmony remote for my Directv DVR a ton. I don't care about eject button since I have to walkover to take the disc out anyway.

PS3 can do more than PCM if you set it right. I didn't think it could as I was testing it with a game and it was just saying multi in on my Denon receiver as the game only had a PCM track. But when I put in a bluray movie it said dts hd or whatever. I did have to change a setting so it wasn't just sending the PCM track. I'm out of town so I can't check the settings right now.

[quote name='ILikeMe1337']If you find that the Sony BDP-S590 doesn't play all the videos you want it to, I HIGHLY recommend buying a Western Digital WD TV Live Plus, it plays EVERYTHING:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1336718816&sr=1-3

To those that say the PS3 is a great Blu-ray player still, video-wise it's still fine but if you have surround sound, it has aged, stand alone players are capable of much better sound quality than the PS3. How, you ask? Well I just bought a new Yamaha receiver that is capable of DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD sound which most Blu-ray Discs are encoded in. I hook up my PS3 and whichever settings I fiddled with I could not get it to send either of those to the receiver, only PCM since the PS3 does all it's sound decoding internally, so the receiver doesn't do any heavy lifting, which was fine for 2006, when receivers couldn't decode DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD but in 2012, they can. So I bought a Sony BDP-BX58 from Costco for $100, which the only main drawback is it has the old Netflix interface, not an issue since I use my WD TV Live Plus for Netflix. Great 3D Blu-ray Disc player for $100, and I hook it up to my reciever and yep, I get a DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD signal and it sounds SOOOOO much better than the PS3s PCM output. So if you just stick to stereo, the PS3 is fine but if you actually care about 5.1 or 7.1 sound, and the quality of that sound, stand alone players are the way to go.
[/quote]

The ps3 is capable of bitstreaming TrueHD, and the slim ps3s can also bitstream DTS-HD MA.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I use the record button on my Harmony remote for my Directv DVR a ton. I don't care about eject button since I have to walkover to take the disc out anyway.

PS3 can do more than PCM if you set it right. I didn't think it could as I was testing it with a game and it was just saying multi in on my Denon receiver as the game only had a PCM track. But when I put in a bluray movie it said dts hd or whatever. I did have to change a setting so it wasn't just sending the PCM track. I'm out of town so I can't check the settings right now.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mig0']The ps3 is capable of bitstreaming TrueHD, and the slim ps3s can also bitstream DTS-HD MA.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, well I have an old two weeks after launch PS3 and I couldn't get it to work, are you sure the old fat PS3s can output anything better than PCM? Like I said all I thought my PS3 does is the DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD decoding itself and then sends it to the receiver as PCM. A new-ish stand alone Blu-ray disc player does no sound decoding, it just sends the audio straight to the receiver, if anyone remembers this is how DVD Video Players worked when Dolby Digital and DTS were the best in home theater surround sound quality (Although DVD Video has ridiculously compressed sound, but that's a whole other discussion), when the receiver does all the heavy lifting, it results in better sound. Obviously everyone has different ears but I could definitely hear a difference. But I'm sorry about not making my first post clear, I was comparing a fat PS3 to the Sony BDP-BX58, I didn't think Sony made any improvements to the Slim PS3 other than the Wi-Fi.

I would say the panny BDPt210.

I just got a sony S580 model player. I like it since its my first blu ray player.
I dont use it for internet, but only for playing DVD and Blu ray movies.

Isnt the Sont S590 this year newest model? Anyone know the difference between my S580 vs S590?

Was thinking of getting one as a gift

[quote name='ILikeMe1337']Interesting, well I have an old two weeks after launch PS3 and I couldn't get it to work, are you sure the old fat PS3s can output anything better than PCM? Like I said all I thought my PS3 does is the DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD decoding itself and then sends it to the receiver as PCM. A new-ish stand alone Blu-ray disc player does no sound decoding, it just sends the audio straight to the receiver, if anyone remembers this is how DVD Video Players worked when Dolby Digital and DTS were the best in home theater surround sound quality (Although DVD Video has ridiculously compressed sound, but that's a whole other discussion), when the receiver does all the heavy lifting, it results in better sound. Obviously everyone has different ears but I could definitely hear a difference. But I'm sorry about not making my first post clear, I was comparing a fat PS3 to the Sony BDP-BX58, I didn't think Sony made any improvements to the Slim PS3 other than the Wi-Fi.[/QUOTE]

You're correct: the original PS3 decodes internally and outputs all digital audio as PCM, while the slim PS3 bitstreams DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD.

[quote name='The Punisher']I would say the panny BDPt210.

I just got a sony S580 model player. I like it since its my first blu ray player.
I dont use it for internet, but only for playing DVD and Blu ray movies.

Isnt the Sont S590 this year newest model? Anyone know the difference between my S580 vs S590?

Was thinking of getting one as a gift[/QUOTE]
I believe S580 = the 2011 model with no onboard memory (so no BD Live "feature") and no 2d-3d conversion. There may be other differences but I don't know what they are if anything.

As for the s590, I got mine the other day and havent used it for a 3D blu but otherwise I've used it for Blus, DVD, Netflix, and the USB ports for media files.

The menu is almost exactly like the XMB on the PS3, except it's laggier. Not to the point that it's terrible or anything, just slower if you're used to the PS3.

One thing it will do that the PS3 doesn't is play more media files. I had no problem with .avi, .mp4, and .mkv files I tried on a flash drive.

It does Netflix well, but not quite as well as the PS3. As far as I know there isn't anything better than the PS3 for Netflix. The s590 is a serviceable replacement though. No major issues. The one thing I didnt like is that it doesnt have the Netflix for kids option like PS3 does. Other than that it's a little slower to load but it's nothing to complain about. It works.

DO NOT
buy a Blu Ray player with the 2D to 3D conversion in mind. It is absolutely useless. It doesn't even work properly on the DVD I tried it with, and when it is working "properly" it still absolutely sucks. It's nearly nonexistent and is a complete gimmick.

Overall I like it though and am glad I got it. I would still like to try the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 just to compare and see which I like better, but I know that one cannot play all the video files that the Sony S590 can.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I believe S580 = the 2011 model with no onboard memory (so no BD Live "feature") and no 2d-3d conversion. There may be other differences but I don't know what they are if anything.

As for the s590, I got mine the other day and havent used it for a 3D blu but otherwise I've used it for Blus, DVD, Netflix, and the USB ports for media files.

The menu is almost exactly like the XMB on the PS3, except it's laggier. Not to the point that it's terrible or anything, just slower if you're used to the PS3.

One thing it will do that the PS3 doesn't is play more media files. I had no problem with .avi, .mp4, and .mkv files I tried on a flash drive.

It does Netflix well, but not quite as well as the PS3. As far as I know there isn't anything better than the PS3 for Netflix. The s590 is a serviceable replacement though. No major issues. The one thing I didnt like is that it doesnt have the Netflix for kids option like PS3 does. Other than that it's a little slower to load but it's nothing to complain about. It works.

DO NOT
buy a Blu Ray player with the 2D to 3D conversion in mind. It is absolutely useless. It doesn't even work properly on the DVD I tried it with, and when it is working "properly" it still absolutely sucks. It's nearly nonexistent and is a complete gimmick.

Overall I like it though and am glad I got it. I would still like to try the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 just to compare and see which I like better, but I know that one cannot play all the video files that the Sony S590 can.[/QUOTE]

got the S580 because it was the best deal during the time last week $59.99+ $3 shipping. I only was looking for a blu ray player to watch blu ray. No need for internet since i dont use it. Dont know whats with the 2d and 3d thing. My first choice was the Panasonic DMP-BDT 110, but the sony was cheaper and had built in Internet. I would like to get the Panasonic 310, but still at $179. Heard it gor great reviews. Not sure about this years new models 220 and 320.......

bread's done
Back