Is there a way to search a specific picture on the internet

If only there was some sort of tool....a searching device....something simple where you could type in something....and it brings up results?.

But it sounds too complicated, I doubt it exists.

if you don't have anything of value to say please go back to watching sesame street. I am trying to help a friend out and thought someone here might know how to search a specific picture. I know how to search words but not how to search an image. I don't even know if it is possible. He was possibly scammed by a person and i am trying to help him see that he was scammed.

how would the program index an image?

words can be searched in an algorythm because they are abstractions - essentially each letter consistutes a numerical value.

pictorial content has too many parameters to consider (hell, even font size and style would be difficult to search)

short answer - no.

not until there is another way to do searching that isn't based on the standard algorythms used for filtering data.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']how would the program index an image?

words can be searched in an algorythm because they are abstractions - essentially each letter consistutes a numerical value.

pictorial content has too many parameters to consider (hell, even font size and style would be difficult to search)

short answer - no.

not until there is another way to do searching that isn't based on the standard algorythms used for filtering data.[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking but was not sure if there was something out there I was not aware of.

You might be better off doing a search for a unique name of the person or the name of the company/object/whatever that was involved in the scam. I know many companies are working on a image search program but it's all experimental at this stage.

This thread is $.

And I do all my image searches in a collection of Encyclopedia Britannicas. They have all sorts of pictures, from Pangea to Niels Bohr. Truly, this is the information age.

Yeah I have tried to search the names that he was given. The only luck I have had is on myspace i found the same pic of the girl. He is family and it is really hard to get all the facts. He is deaf and almost all information is being relayed to me 3rd party. I think I have found enough to at the least convince him this was a scam.

rimshot.gif

Wait so are you searching a specific picture (i.e. looking for embedded information/files/etc. in the picture/image file) or searching FOR a specific picture where ever it may exist on the net?

Why don't you give us all the background details, names, etc. that you have available?

So this friend of yours, who is family, is deaf and was ripped off? And you found a picture on myspace that matches a picture you have? What the eff does all this mean? Can you please explain exactly what is going on?

[quote name='sociopharm02']Yeah I have tried to search the names that he was given. The only luck I have had is on myspace i found the same pic of the girl. He is family and it is really hard to get all the facts. He is deaf and almost all information is being relayed to me 3rd party. I think I have found enough to at the least convince him this was a scam.[/quote]

So dude is deaf and has a 3rd party translator passing you info (is the translator blind? That would be classic...straight Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder See No Evil, Hear No Evil comedy gold), and you are trying to find a pic you were given, which matches up with a pic on myspace for a girl. Can you post the pic?

Ok basically the guy is recently divorced and he went to a divorced Christian website to meet and talk to other divorced Christians I guess. He met a girl on this site and they conversed over a 5 month period. She basically told him he loved her and that she was going to move to his area so that they could see if a relationship could happen. Then recently she told him she was going to Africa so that she could help in the closing of one of her fathers new business's . While there she mysteriously got very sick and needed him to send 3500 dollars to her so she could have surgery. She said that she would pay him back. He was worried so he sent the money. He " then was told by a "lawyer" that during the surgery she died. They did send him a check to reimburse but of course the check bounced. This is he gist of the situation. The information is being passed on to me by the guys mom. She is not blind. The problem is that he lives in NC and I am in Illinois. He has also until just recently thought that this was all legit. I understand how absurd this all sounds but I honestly couldn't make this shit up. The name the chick was using was Akasha Stone. I searched that name under myspace and found a picture. This picture matched a picture that the scammer sent him claiming to be Akasha. The myspace account is basically a phantom account. I found the same girl on the christian chat site but in a different location. My first goal was just to convince the guy he was scammed. I am pretty sure i have done this. He is a good guy but he is too good of a guy, very gullible obviously. What kind of recourse does he have? I feel bad for him because he is basically broke and this is really going to be hard for him to bounce back from.

[quote name='siderealshift']The dollar must be depreciating faster than I initially thought.[/quote]

I LOL'ed.

But seriously, your friend sent money to Africa? Damn...oldest trick in the book. :whistle2:#

Ah that sucks big time. Best bet would be to track to the IP but I bet it leads to some internet cafe in Nigeria .

yeah , I am trying to figure out how he can best handle it. They are not aware that he knows he has been scammed, so they are still in contact with him via email. I am trying to figure out a way to work that to his advantage. If it ever gets worked out i will update.

Hmm very, very interesting, how did he send the money? Anyway to trace that? Also, he could try for a phone number or ask for an addy to visit?

Yeah i have been working on this for awhile , I am about to quit for the night. I have an address and phone number, also have bank information off of checks. I have email address's of the lawyer and girl. The money was sent Western Union so basically I think we are SOL tracing that.

Sounds like you do have some good info, but I have heard of similar scams JUST like this on like 20/20, Dateline, etc. Good luck getting the money back. But I do suggest keeping her on the line for as long as possible. The one interesting thing is the fact that she didn't let the mark go when she got the cash. Maybe she's gonna try to get more? Then you could set up a sting maybe? Good luck and keep us updated.

Best thing to do is tell him he was tricked, rack up the losses, and disconnect his internet, seriously, for his own good. This time he only lost $3500.

[quote name='yamas']Sounds like you do have some good info, but I have heard of similar scams JUST like this on like 20/20, Dateline, etc. Good luck getting the money back. But I do suggest keeping her on the line for as long as possible. The one interesting thing is the fact that she didn't let the mark go when she got the cash. Maybe she's gonna try to get more? Then you could set up a sting maybe? Good luck and keep us updated.[/QUOTE]

No the "lawyer" is still in contact with him. The girl he was talking to "died" in the $3500 surgery. They are just stringing him along.

bread's done
Back