Is there a way to turn a gift card into money?

VidPower

CAGiversary!
So I got this gift card for a store that I don't really shop at. I was wondering if maybe there was a way to somehow turn that gift card into actual money. I was thinking maybe I could buy something there with the gift card, wait a day, then go back and get a refund. Does anyone know if they'll actually give me cash back for the refund? Does anyone know of any other ways to turn a gift card into actual cash?

*edit* Changed all the GC's into gift cards to avoid confusion :)

Selling it is the only way. Refunds on an item purchased with a gift card are only given in the form of another giftcard. Either sell the card to someone outright or buy something from the store and sell that. Either way, you might expect to take a slight hit on the value.

Most stores will give the refund in the form of a giftcard if a giftcard was used to make the purchase. There are some Best Buy GCs that actually allow conversion into cash (I believe it states on the back? and I I think they are specifically rebate giftcards). Selling the card will generally get you about 80% of the face value, but if it is a small amount, and you have friends who shop at that store, you may be able to get closer to face value from them. Alternately, you could try to find an item at that store that is a particularly good deal, and then try to sell the item -- it takes more effort, but could be worth it.

I've done that a lot, bought something with a gift card/store credit that I already owned and recently bought, then returned it to the store I initially bought it from with a receipt and got a refund.

[quote name='guest2']Buy something with the Giftcard and return it to a store that you actually shop at... ;)[/quote]

please dont even joke about that on here,tho i suppose most of the cags will encourage this kind of bullshit, look at all the other fraud deals like the tru coupon scam and the best buy GGC threads, sheesh

[quote name='JebusMcLucifer']When I saw the topic title I thought you meant a Game Cube. :lol:[/quote]

Me too, I was really confused. :lol:

[quote name='KingKhoiCorp']plant it in the ground and maybe it'll sprout a monnie tree[/quote]

Please tell me thats a typo, please

Thanks for the advice guys!

And I can't believe I didn't realize GC stands for Game Cube a lot more than it does for gift card.

Anyone remember the days of gift certificates. I remember I won a Wal-Mart gift certificate several, several years ago (before every place went to a card system) for $100. I just bought a few snacks with it, and received over $90 cash in change.

Free money, nothing like it. :)

I sell unwanted gift cards on eBay. You get about half of their face value. Depends how bad you want cash over store credit.

Or, you could buy something with the gift card, then sell the item.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Anyone remember the days of gift certificates. I remember I won a Wal-Mart gift certificate several, several years ago (before every place went to a card system) for $100. I just bought a few snacks with it, and received over $90 cash in change.

Free money, nothing like it. :)[/quote]

The mall near me still does it that way. It is great to be able to buy whatever small thing you want and get the rest in cash as change. I actually called the info desk over there to see if I had to use the entire amount in one purchase, or if they mark the value down by hand each time I use it or what? I just didn't think they'd actually give cash change for a gift cert since most stores try to make it impossible to get your cash back once one of those are bought.

bread's done
Back