Is there anyone here that doesn't like the DS lite over their old DS?

Sk

CAGiversary!
I just bought one for my brother. I have the older DS and I like it a bit better. I'm not saying the lite is bad by any means. It's a great improvement to the DS line up. Most of it's pro's out way it's poorer attributes for new DS owners.

Heres some pros for the DS lite.
1. Great build quality.
2. Great size.
3. Improved touch screen response and better tactile feel (my DS is a grid kind). Also the bottom screen looks nearly identical as the top screen. The two screens on the older DS looked different.
4. Super cool looks.
5. The brightness is blinding (in a good way).
6. Better stylus.
7. The button's feel dreamy. I'd say they're a major upgrade.
8. The form factor is sick.
(these improvements alone justify buying one over the older one if you didn't have a DS to begin with).

Some cons I've found.
1. The Speakers in the lite are kind of lacking. My older DS drowns out the lite's sound. I also think the older style's speakers sound a tad bit better.
2. The screen overly saturates colors. It's kind of annoying and ugly at times (depending on the game).
3. Poor location of the start and select buttons. I like the old style DS's button location better. Also those buttons have a strange tactile feel.
4. Either due to the brighter screen or over saturated colors ghosting in much more noticeable at times.

Overall the lite is a great little system worth the $129.99 price tag. I really wouldn't upgrade my old DS for one. I find some of the improvements to be a good upgrade but with some pitfalls that just don't justify me trading in my older DS (the screen's over saturation and ghosting kind of annoy me, so does the quieter speakers)). I'd say if you didn't own a DS the lite is great model to buy and I recommend it highly over the older system just for it's improvements (IMO they override the screen's faults). However, if the older model has a price drop or a sweet bundle anytime soon I'd suggest picking one of those up over the new model in a heart beat. The screens' saturated colors are kind of distracting.

P.S. In the near future I could see developer solving the over saturated colors problem by using a different color pallet like FF tactics did for the transition between the original GBA and the SP. In that game you could pick between two screen types. However I could see developer's only supporting the Lite. It also makes sense that developers would use brighter colors for the original DS's darker screen. It kind of covers it's faults.

Don't have an older one so I can't compare, but the screen has 4 brightness levels that can be chosen if the standard (brightest) bothers you. Pretty cool.

I use my iPod earbuds (you know, to complete the totally geeky "I'm a Mac whore and need everything to match" image), so the speakers don't bother me much.

Not sure where the start and select buttons were on the other one, but these don't bother me at all.

I also heard that the on/off switch is in a MUCH better location on the Lite. Is the older one prone to turning on/off accidentally or something?

While I do not regret trading in my original DS and getting a Lite, I do find that the corners dig into my hands a little when I play. Especially the left one.

I find that the part of the stylus that you're supposed to grab to make it easier to pull out kinda digs into my fingers from the way I hold the Lite. However, it hurts even more if the stylus isn't in there.

I love the lite and have had no comfort issues with it at all. The only problem I see is that the d-pad isn't as responsive as the old clicky one. There is some more difficulty in inputing diagonals than in the old pad (like in Animal Crossing).

Ipod headphones are a good illustration of the general public's obsession with style over functionality.

DS Lite has much better buttons, aside from start and select, which are atrocious.

[quote name='willardhaven']Ipod headphones are a good illustration of the general public's obsession with style over functionality.[/quote]

Well said - I agree COMPLETELY. The iPod earbud sound quality is awful, and they hurt my ears after extended periods of use. Even funnier: I have Sennheiser Noisegard PXC250 Headphones which I carry everywhere with me for use with my iPod that I DON'T use with my DS because it doesn't look at good. 8-[

[quote name='Sk']
4. Either due to the brighter screen or over saturated colors ghosting in much more noticeable at times.
[/QUOTE]

I have to agree here. Nintendogs doesn't look too good on the DS Lite. The browns seems to turn into yellow.

My only 2 problems with the Lite are the start and select buttons (though I'm sure I'll adapt to them easily in time), and the fact that GBA carts stick out. Crazy as it may sound, I almost with the DS Lite was the exact same model as it is, but larger, so it would be flush with a GBA game.

But the new screen is more than worth it to me, and I like the new buttons and D-pad a lot. Unlike the earlier poster, I think diagonals are a lot easier to pull off with the new D-pad as the diretons don't stick out so far. It almost feels like a mix between a D-pad and an analog stick to me.

Oh, and the new stylus is way more comfy too.

[quote name='Kyz']Well said - I agree COMPLETELY. The iPod earbud sound quality is awful, and they hurt my ears after extended periods of use. Even funnier: I have Sennheiser Noisegard PXC250 Headphones which I carry everywhere with me for use with my iPod that I DON'T use with my DS because it doesn't look at good. 8-[[/quote]
:applause: i applaud u for admitting that.

I love my Lite! The screen is awesomely bright, it is comfortable to the hands, and i think the buttons are well placed, except of course the start and select!

I would choose the lite over the DS big any day but I did have one problem with my lite. Right out of the box the lite had many screen problems while the DS big had no problems what-so-ever since i bought it on the launch date. I guess I would have to blame the screen problems on a spot of bad luck.

The DS Phat made my hands cramp up so much after about 2 races (10 min.) of Mario Kart before I would have to take some ibuprofen, the DS lite takes about 1 1/2 hour before my hands start to show my age. This makes it 100x beter then the old DS, and I was worried that since it was smaller it would be worse on my man hands.

Edit: if your browns look yellow turn down the brightness ;)

I agree with points 1 and 3 completely, especially 1. The Lite's speakers suck and I have no idea what they were thinking putting the start/select buttons there.

I haven't noticed much of an issue with over-saturation or ghosting with most DS games. And if you think the brown in Nintendogs looks orange, then something is definitely wrong as it looks perfectly brown on my Lite.:lol:

Three cons for me.

- Volume could be louder on the speakers.
- Especially prone to finger prints and smudges. (the silicon case i ordered should help take care of that problem)
- You can't palm grip it like you can the DS and all past Gameboys. If you do, your palms will start hurting fast because of the sharp corners. (hopefully with the silicon case, it is soft enough so it doesntt hurt as much)

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']I love the lite and have had no comfort issues with it at all. The only problem I see is that the d-pad isn't as responsive as the old clicky one. There is some more difficulty in inputing diagonals than in the old pad (like in Animal Crossing).[/QUOTE]

This is my only problem as well. The older d-pad worked great with street fighter...the new one...not so much.

i like the speakers better. I think the Lite sounds clearer (most evident in Ouendan...) the old DS sounded distorted, especially when turned up.

also, what's ghosting?

[quote name='Apossum']i like the speakers better. I think the Lite sounds clearer (most evident in Ouendan...) the old DS sounded distorted, especially when turned up.

also, what's ghosting?[/QUOTE]

Ghosting is when images tend to ghost behind something... say a character is running, and they are leaving a faint trail behind them that disappears shortly, kind of like a "ghost".

It's noticable very much so on LCD screens more then regular screens, you can see it on the PSP at times pretty clearly. I noticed it a bit on Super Princess Peach but it's not that bad.

A problem in LCD screens when tiny pixels creating the image take time to switch on and off and can't do it fast enough. The problem, widely recognized as the main drawback of LCD screens, is apparent in fast moving objects such as tennis balls, but even slower moving images get fuzzy.

Basacially it means you'll see trails behind fast moving objects.

Maybe I'm used to the old DS, but I really dislike the Start and Select buttons on the DS Lite. I also prefer the DS push button power switch over the DS Lite's power slider switch. I never had any problems with accidentally turning off the DS and I can't see how anyone could.

As for the speakers, I've never used them, as I always use headphones.

I think the Lite speakers sound better. They're not quite as loud, but they sound much clearer and do a better job on the virtual surrond. And it's more than loud enough for play at home, which is where I play my DS 99.9% of the time.

I can get used to start and select eventually, but the only problem is that I don't want to hurt it by playing it. Crap, don't know what to doooooo! Great screen like I've heard though!

[quote name='Sk']I just bought one for my brother. I have the older DS and I like it a bit better. I'm not saying the lite is bad by any means. It's a great improvement to the DS line up. Most of it's pro's out way it's poorer attributes for new DS owners.

Heres some pros for the DS lite.
1. Great build quality.
2. Great size.
3. Improved touch screen response and better tactile feel (my DS is a grid kind). Also the bottom screen looks nearly identical as the top screen. The two screens on the older DS looked different.
4. Super cool looks.
5. The brightness is blinding (in a good way).
6. Better stylus.
7. The button's feel dreamy. I'd say they're a major upgrade.
8. The form factor is sick.
(these improvements alone justify buying one over the older one if you didn't have a DS to begin with).

Some cons I've found.
1. The Speakers in the lite are kind of lacking. My older DS drowns out the lite's sound. I also think the older style's speakers sound a tad bit better.
2. The screen overly saturates colors. It's kind of annoying and ugly at times (depending on the game).
3. Poor location of the start and select buttons. I like the old style DS's button location better. Also those buttons have a strange tactile feel.

Overall the lite is a great little system worth the $129.99 price tag. I really wouldn't upgrade my old DS for one. I find some of the improvements to be a good upgrade but with some pitfalls that just don't justify me trading in my older DS (the screen's over saturation and ghosting kind of annoy me, so does the quieter speakers)). I'd say if you didn't own a DS the lite is great model to buy and I recommend it highly over the older system just for it's improvements (IMO they override the screen's faults). However, if the older model has a price drop or a sweet bundle anytime soon I'd suggest picking one of those up over the new model in a heart beat. The screens' saturated colors are kind of distracting.

P.S. In the near future I could see developer solving the over saturated colors problem by using a different color pallet like FF tactics did for the transition between the original GBA and the SP. In that game you could pick between two screen types. However I could see developer's only supporting the Lite. It also makes sense that developers would use brighter colors for the original DS's darker screen. It kind of covers it's faults.[/quote]

Those problems fluctuate from dslite to dslite. My DS lite has incredibly good speakers, while my friends sounds like tin cans. Also, my screen does not ghost whatsoever, and my colors are sharp and in no way oversaturated/

Start and select suck ass, and the coating is way too susceptible to smudges/scratches. However, having the white version somewhat negates that latter problem.

Other than that, I like it quite a bit.

I love the lite but I do agree that the D-Pad and the speakers aren't as good. I usually use my iPod buds too so it's no big deal. The D-Pad on animal crossing sucks hard but I usually use the stylus anyways.

I never owned a DS fat, but overall I love my new Lite.

The only problems I have with it are the same problems I had with my GBA:SP. After not too much playing time my hands start to go numb. Specifically my pinkies. I have to pause every 15-20 minutes and rub some feeling back into them. I thought I wouldnt have this problem, cos I never had a problem with the original GBA, and I thought the problem was caused by the SP not being wide enought. But the Lite is just as wide as the original GBA, yet I still cant hold it comfortably for extended periods.

I also find it hard to hold the DS on one side while playing a stylus intensive game like Meteos for example. I wind up using the stylus at an angle to the screen, and sometimes it screwsup on the screen and the cursor appears an inch away from the actual stylus tip.

[quote name='Puffa469']The only problems I have with it are the same problems I had with my GBA:SP. After not too much playing time my hands start to go numb. Specifically my pinkies. I have to pause every 15-20 minutes and rub some feeling back into them. I thought I wouldnt have this problem, cos I never had a problem with the original GBA, and I thought the problem was caused by the SP not being wide enought. But the Lite is just as wide as the original GBA, yet I still cant hold it comfortably for extended periods.[/QUOTE]

All I know is they better come up with a cure for arthritis soon or our generation is going to be absolutely screwed in about 30 years.

[quote name='Tybee']All I know is they better come up with a cure for arthritis soon or our generation is going to be absolutely screwed in about 30 years.[/quote]

I believe the original DS, you can purchase grips so help with the comfort. You have to imagine that block design isn't really made to contort with the palms of our hands. There might be similar accessories for the new DS Lite. I'm waiting til it comes out with another color before purchasing the new one.

I have medium sized hands and because I work out, my hands are buffer than normal. I can almost get cramps if I play for long periods on the old DS.

[quote name='wgsquallx2002']I believe the original DS, you can purchase grips so help with the comfort. You have to imagine that block design isn't really made to contort with the palms of our hands. There might be similar accessories for the new DS Lite. I'm waiting til it comes out with another color before purchasing the new one.

I have medium sized hands and because I work out, my hands are buffer than normal. I can almost get cramps if I play for long periods on the old DS.[/QUOTE]

Well, I wasn't solely refering to the DS or DS Lite. I think the frequent playing of video games in general puts us at an increased risk of arthritis.

Maybe they will launch the DS Select (which moves the Select/Start buttons and backlights them, improving functionality)! I would pay $150 for the new model! Anyone want to buy my DS Lite?? I'm trying to upgrade!!;)

I'll spare you a lengthy parrot, but it's true, even my non-gaming friends have marveled at that little system. It's one of the neatest little purchases I've made, and was a very fair price!

I got my ds lite yesterday, and cant get over the screen, its amazing. I dont mind the placement of the start/select but they are weird to push. The volume i definitely agree could be a bit louder. The main problem ive been having is i believe a result of transfering my wifi data. after doing so, the lite would connect but once i tried to automatch or play it would shortly disconnect. so after transfering the data back to the original fat ds and using the wifi id that wouldve come with the lite it works fine. really weird.
ultimately I love the lite, shit is sick.
Stephen

Being that my credit cards are STILL not paid off, I won't be buying a DS Lite until August, yet I have a rather generous friend who have let me try it out, and I will say that Start and Select buttons are not as comfortable to press at ANY TIME AT ALL. Pausing a game to take a phone call at work would be much harder, unless of course I'm just imagining it.

Everything else is perfect, and since someone asked: back when I got my DS, I would play it in bed at night before going to sleep. I've turned it off "by accident" on at least FOUR separate occasions, and was forced to replay the damn game. Granted, that has not happened for a while now, but the power button sitting right on top of the D-pad with about 1/8th of an inch difference (I'm being dramatic, but not by much) between them wouldn't be half as bad, if it didn't take a little tap to go into permanent darkness without a saved game...

bread's done
Back