Is there something I should know about the launch DS?

Zing

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I recently acquired a sealed launch DS. After opening and loading it up, I notice that the touch screen has that "greasy" look apparent on the current crop of DS Lite and DSi. I check out my other "launch" DS, and its screen does not have that look. I flip them over and notice they have different part numbers.

The new one is NTR-001, while the used one is NTR-001-1. A little Google later and it appears that Nintendo was very quick to get out this -1 revision out, as it appeared on shelves about a month or so after launch.

The only other difference I notice is that the Nintendo DS logo is a lighter shade on the new DS.

I am wondering if there is something critically wrong with the launch DS which made Nintendo so quick to replace it. I assume it is probably just a change in the LCD screen manufacturer or some other minor engineering change. It shouldn't be something drastic since it appeared so soon after launch.

[quote name='Zing']I recently acquired a sealed launch DS. After opening and loading it up, I notice that the touch screen has that "greasy" look apparent on the current crop of DS Lite and DSi. I check out my other "launch" DS, and its screen does not have that look. I flip them over and notice they have different part numbers.

The new one is NTR-001, while the used one is NTR-001-1. A little Google later and it appears that Nintendo was very quick to get out this -1 revision out, as it appeared on shelves about a month or so after launch.

The only other difference I notice is that the Nintendo DS logo is a lighter shade on the new DS.

I am wondering if there is something critically wrong with the launch DS which made Nintendo so quick to replace it. I assume it is probably just a change in the LCD screen manufacturer or some other minor engineering change. It shouldn't be something drastic since it appeared so soon after launch.[/QUOTE]

I have an original launch DS that still today runs like a charm, except for one hinge is cracked and a piece separated off for some unknown reason. I don't know why it did it because I took good care of it.

I had an original DS, and I loved it because the size was perfect for my big hands. The DS Lite's screens are so much better, but my hands get cramped up after playing it for a while.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I have an original launch DS that still today runs like a charm, except for one hinge is cracked and a piece separated off for some unknown reason. I don't know why it did it because I took good care of it.[/QUOTE]

Cracked hinges are is the DS's weakpoint.

I'm on my third DSL, and all have had cracked hinges. My newest DSL, which I've owned for a while (as a spare) but just opened a couple of weeks ago, had it's hinge bust this past weekend. I had to crazy glue it so that the top half of the DS didnt flap around in the breeze all loosey goosey.

Surprisingly I never had my Lite's hinge crack and I've owned it for almost 4 years (maybe I just jinxed it and it'll break the next day). Is the percentage higher for hinges broken vs hinges not? The past year even I've stopped babying the thing and regularly toss it around and other abusive shit.

bread's done
Back