Is there something wrong with my PS4?

smtipple

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I picked up a PS4 the other night and it's starting to give me some troubles, specifically around network connections.

The first thing I noticed is that any of the auto save game uploads fail. Every time I turn the console on from standby, I have notifications saying "Cannot Upload". I read online that deleting anything in your online storage and then manually uploading will fix it, but it doesn't work for me. When I try to manually upload a save, the progress bar instantly jumps up and says 1 second remaining and just hangs there until I cancel the upload.

The second thing I noticed is when I try to use Twitch, the broadcast will quit within about 30 seconds saying the connection has been lost. Happens every time.

And tonight (and from what I understand there's a ton of issues with BF4 so this may be the game) when trying to play BF4, once I try and join a quick match, it'll log me into a server but the game will just hang on the level loading screen. Then if I close out the game, go back in and try to play, it won't move past the matchmaking box and won't load anything into the server browser.

I can play DCUO all day with no issues. I can download from the PSN store with no issues. I can browse on my PC and on my PS4 with no issues.

I know it's a new console and all that but it seems like some real hit or miss with the connection. Is this a PS4 issue? An issue on my end? Anyone have any idea?

So I picked up a PS4 the other night and it's starting to give me some troubles, specifically around network connections.

The first thing I noticed is that any of the auto save game uploads fail. Every time I turn the console on from standby, I have notifications saying "Cannot Upload". I read online that deleting anything in your online storage and then manually uploading will fix it, but it doesn't work for me. When I try to manually upload a save, the progress bar instantly jumps up and says 1 second remaining and just hangs there until I cancel the upload.

The second thing I noticed is when I try to use Twitch, the broadcast will quit within about 30 seconds saying the connection has been lost. Happens every time.

And tonight (and from what I understand there's a ton of issues with BF4 so this may be the game) when trying to play BF4, once I try and join a quick match, it'll log me into a server but the game will just hang on the level loading screen. Then if I close out the game, go back in and try to play, it won't move past the matchmaking box and won't load anything into the server browser.

I can play DCUO all day with no issues. I can download from the PSN store with no issues. I can browse on my PC and on my PS4 with no issues.

I know it's a new console and all that but it seems like some real hit or miss with the connection. Is this a PS4 issue? An issue on my end? Anyone have any idea?
Are you connected by wireless, or wired? If wireless, I'd swutch to wired to see if that fixes it (or vice versa if you're already wired).

Originally it was wireless but I switched to wired last night. I seem to have a bit more luck with BF4 but still have the save upload and twitch issues.

Apparently my MTU settings weren't right, but it's odd because the PS4 defaults to 1500 and my MTU was set to 1500 in my router. I changed the settings in the router to 1492 and then changed the settings on the PS4 to match. Works like an absolute charm. No disconnects, no problems.

For whatever reason with those settings it was dropping my UL to 8.7 kbps which was dropping me from games and causing me to lose connection with everything.

Are you using comcast? There was a thread somewhere about comcast wifi routers and the PS4s having issues I thought.

I'm not too network savvy, but could this be why my ps4 wouldn't connect through wifi when I boot it up. I would need to reset the router after turning on the ps4, and then it would auto connect. I have it hard wired now, which connects every time.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you guys ever do network configuration tests and you first test wireless and then do wired you are all going to find out that the wireless adapter in the ps4 is pretty much crap.  I have my ps4 only 20 ft away from my cisco e4200 business class router that supports N wireless and the ps4 could only do like 10 down / 2 up on wireless vs my comcast cap at 30 down / 8 up. on wired.  The MTU problem is well documented now for users of both wireless and wired when having massive disconnect and game upload corruptions.  Luckily my router auto adjusts MTU and I've set the same value on my PS4 and never had issues.

bread's done
Back