Is this a good deal on Windows 7 Pro?

thrifty1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6992-L010D

EMCXNXL97

$79.99 with free shipping on newegg

Is this going to be cheaper on black friday or is this a good time to pick it up for a future haswell build? It looks like its a recurring deal. Whats the cheapest legitimate deal youve seen on an operating system?​

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not a bad deal actually.  This past Black Friday I bought Windows 8 Professional (non-OEM) for $55 but in general the price of it was lower back then trying to convert people to switch.  The price you listed for 7 Professional is the cheapest I've seen that in a bit, usually it's the Home Premium going for $79.99.  However, most store retailers no longer carry Windows 7 at all which if you are dead-set on 7, definitely limits your options for sales in regards to something like a Black Friday.  

One other thing of note, the latest version of Direct X is not going to be compatible with 7 which won't affect things anytime soon, but might in the future in regards to games so something to think about.  Personally, I just built a computer for my dad and have him using an old copy of XP for now and I am waiting on a holiday sale for Windows 8 Professional.  I think it will happen around Black Friday and/or when they release the new version of Windows 8.  So if you want Windows 8, I would wait for a better sale in a few months.  If you have no interest in Windows 8 at all, I would buy the sale you linked as that's a very good price for Windows 7 Professional. 

Not sure if they are still doing this but if you have a .edu email address you can grab it for around $30 from Microsoft.

yep thanks for the tip. i got a ridiculous deal on microsoft office (practically free) back when i was in university, but im no longer a student. and they said i could only install it on one computer but ive installed it at least 2 or 3 times now on my laptop and desktop without any problems. lol.

Aside from promotion upgrades ($15/$30 for Win 8 early on) and student/government organization deals, it probably won't go much lower than that.

bread's done
Back