Is this a good HDTV for the price??

I looked at some reviews for this and most people seemed satisfied. A search for the same size television on Amazon(46" class) yielded nothing within 150 dollars. Apparently some reviews mentioned a crackle in the speakers, but that could be a fluke. Most of the negatives were that the set was thicker or bigger than it looked. I haven't had any personal experience with Sharp, but for the price and size of this thing you are getting a pretty good deal.

For that price, I'd say go for it! You aren't really gonna find a better deal for an LCD that size with 120hz. And it seems to be a pretty nice tv from what I was reading in reviews. Don't forget cashback on top of that price!

Not really. HD isn't even worth $200 yet. But I'm sure people will listen to hype over sense, so what does it matter...

Yup. My SD is better than the stuff I've seen in store. Real gamers know graphics aren't as important as gameplay and such. It's a gimmick for stores to sell you TV's you don't need. Maybe for sports and movies which I don't like, just not for gaming.

I wouldn't go out spending a lot of money on an LCD. That shit will be obsolete in like 2 years. Just wait for the price point on LEDs to come down a little.

[quote name='DPsx7']Yup. My SD is better than the stuff I've seen in store. Real gamers know graphics aren't as important as gameplay and such. It's a gimmick for stores to sell you TV's you don't need. Maybe for sports and movies which I don't like, just not for gaming.[/QUOTE]

That is honestly the dumbest thing I have read on CAG in years.

Then you haven't looked that closely at HD. If I want to stretch or distort images I can use a 25 cent piece of paper. Maybe it has more to do with how new you are to gaming. I've been playing for a long time and always put graphics in the backseat. Kids these days are told what they should get, they don't think 'why' and just do it.

Anyway there's no major need to make a big deal of this. Just really consider why it's worth wasting thousands on a TV, cables, converters, and gimmicks before you insist on getting one.

[quote name='help1']That is honestly the dumbest thing I have read on CAG in years.[/QUOTE] It's not surprising when you look at his sig.
Welcome to ignore you idiot troll.

[quote name='DPsx7']Yup. My SD is better than the stuff I've seen in store. Real gamers know graphics aren't as important as gameplay and such. It's a gimmick for stores to sell you TV's you don't need. Maybe for sports and movies which I don't like, just not for gaming.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DPsx7']Then you haven't looked that closely at HD. If I want to stretch or distort images I can use a 25 cent piece of paper. Maybe it has more to do with how new you are to gaming. I've been playing for a long time and always put graphics in the backseat. Kids these days are told what they should get, they don't think 'why' and just do it.[/QUOTE]

I hope you're being facetious. Sure, it's always a good thing to be tight with your money, and listen to logic and reason over impulse and hype. It's always a good thing to be patient when shopping for newer technology. But if you think HD gaming is merely an SD image that has been stretched and/or distorted, you might need to check in with your optometrist and then the Braille Institute.

[quote name='DPsx7']Then you haven't looked that closely at HD. If I want to stretch or distort images I can use a 25 cent piece of paper. Maybe it has more to do with how new you are to gaming. I've been playing for a long time and always put graphics in the backseat. Kids these days are told what they should get, they don't think 'why' and just do it.

Anyway there's no major need to make a big deal of this. Just really consider why it's worth wasting thousands on a TV, cables, converters, and gimmicks before you insist on getting one.[/QUOTE]

a) the TV he was asking about is $699 not thousands. Not sure what you would need converters for, there are different scaling options on most HDTV sets today and cables cost about $6 at monoprice.com.

b) He did not ask peoples opinions about if they think HD is scam by "the man" to get you to waste money. He asked if it was a good set for the money.

That said. I have an older Sharp 37" set and I love it. Very good brand and that's a really good price for that size set.

[quote name='DPsx7']Not really. HD isn't even worth $200 yet. But I'm sure people will listen to hype over sense, so what does it matter...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DPsx7']Then you haven't looked that closely at HD. If I want to stretch or distort images I can use a 25 cent piece of paper. Maybe it has more to do with how new you are to gaming. I've been playing for a long time and always put graphics in the backseat. Kids these days are told what they should get, they don't think 'why' and just do it.

Anyway there's no major need to make a big deal of this. Just really consider why it's worth wasting thousands on a TV, cables, converters, and gimmicks before you insist on getting one.[/QUOTE]

Uh...

I forgot why I had DPsx7 on my ignore list. Then when you guys started quoting his posts, I thought "Oh yeah. That's why."

The Sharp TV looks like a really good deal. Like CRH7386 said, finding one with 120hz for around that price is going to be tough. Free shipping makes the deal even better!

[quote name='help1']That is honestly the dumbest thing I have read on CAG in years.[/QUOTE]
SD CRTs are superior to HDTVs today still. The HD CRTs are the best TVs you can get(picture quality wise).

I believe this man confused HDTVs and kaleidoscopes....

Everyone else fell for it I assume. Oh well, I'm not the one regretting a purchase. I'm serious too, I've seen HD examples and my current TV has a better image. No distortion, no grit, and why is the cost so high if it's not backwards compatible with SD? It's not even about the money really as I gladly bought a 60 PS3. I want value with my purchase, to know it's worth what I'm spending. I'm not like you folks, I won't buy something just to compete with friends.

backwards compatible with SD? All HDTVs display in SD and HD depending on the source. You also don't have to stretch or distort the SD image if you choose not to. It'll just have black bars on the side to display it in 4:3 aspect ratio, which is just like an SD set. At this point, HDTVs are pretty affordable and really not thousands of dollars to get into anymore. It's not 2003. You can't even buy CRT sets new anymore in stores.

Thanks for everyone's input! I bit & although the tax was $42, my cashback is $56 so I still came out ahead of pricing for similar models at B&M stores in my area as well as Amazon. Just picked up a Sony Blu-Ray player @ Sam's today (basic, no-frills) so now it's time to invest in some discs & a decent set of speakers...

This is what I like about CAG, people willing to give honest opinions & advice, as well as sharing some GREAT CAG deals!

[quote name='Javansdaddy']Got this in my eBay 'Daily Deals' email:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220561545971

In the market for an HDTV for gaming & Blu-Ray, I did some research but need opinions. It's within my price range but I don't want to get stung...

So I appeal to my fellow CAGers for advice...[/QUOTE]

The reviews I read were very mixed. But, as I've told many, chances are your going from a shitty old TV to HD, so you will be floored in most cases.

[quote name='linkmon']The reviews I read were very mixed. But, as I've told many, chances are your going from a shitty old TV to HD, so you will be floored in most cases.[/QUOTE]

You guessed it, going from a 26" 10 year old Philips Magnavox CRT to this one. The only major flaw I have read is the speakers being "tinny" or having a slight crackle. I have a Sony A/V receiver & a semi-nice pair of Technics speakers, so I think I'll be okay there. Hell, this thing is wider than my oldest son is tall!

The wife was fully onboard with the purchase - "go big or forget it" was her motto...

Thanks again everyone for the advice & opinions! :applause:

bread's done
Back