Is this a good laptop that would last a bit?

Specs and Price? And how long would you want it to last, as we all know computers get horribly outdated quickly. Err I mean what do you want it to do?

These are the specs :
  • Portable multimedia powerhouse for HD video enthusiasts and PC gamers; includes HD DVD-ROM drive
  • 1.8 GHz, Core 2 Duo T7100, 240 GB hard drive capacity (dual drives), 2 GB RAM (4 GB max), multi-format/dual-layer DVD burner
  • Quad-band Wi-Fi LAN (802.11a/b/g/n); Bluetooth 2.0+EDR; Gigabit Ethernet; Nvidia GeForce 8700M video card with 256 MB of discrete memory
The processor is okay, 1.8 in dual core is alright. 2GB of RAM is pretty good and you basically would have the best mobile video card out.

I think it will be able to playing most things on max for the next 6 months. The Geforce 9 series will be out around that time. And games will likely scale accordingly.

Sounds like that thing cost around $2000. The processor is great, there is like only one or two better than that on a notebook currently. That's supposely the latest and greatest mobile graphics card, so it should be decent, but like always, don't expect desktop gaming. Depending on how long you will keep it for and what you expect will really determine if it's a good buy for you. If you can afford I say go for it, though I would avoid a Toshiba notebook personally and get an Dell XPS or Asus G2S

[quote name='Thongsy']Sounds like that thing cost around $2000. The processor is great, there is like only one or two better than that on a notebook currently. That's supposely the latest and greatest mobile graphics card, so it should be decent, but like always, don't expect desktop gaming. Depending on how long you will keep it for and what you expect will really determine if it's a good buy for you. If you can afford I say go for it, though I would avoid a Toshiba notebook personally and get an Dell XPS or Asus G2S[/quote]

I agree with Thongsy...don't expect a desktop gaming experience. I used to game on desktops, then a few years ago picked up a "gaming" laptop from Dell. It was top of the line and I have to say it worked ok. The problems I had were:
  • Hard drive sizes. If you want a fast drive that's huge (needed for games) expect to pay a lot.
  • Manufacturers' drivers for mobile video cards are usually far behind the current releases. Dell needs to work on this big time.
  • Even if you get the "upgradeable" laptops...they aren't really. Just dropping a new video module in there isn't going to get you more than another year or so.
  • Resale value is shit
  • Onboard sound usually sucks (although Vista supposedly allows you to get EAX etc. with cheap on-board sound)
These days I have a normal tower that I built that is easy to upgrade. If I were to get a laptop it would be for email, web, business, or whatever. Not gaming. I don't want to spoil your plans...just make you aware of some problems you may have. Some people use laptops for their primary game machines and it works just fine for them.

[quote name='sithspawn']I agree with Thongsy...don't expect a desktop gaming experience. I used to game on desktops, then a few years ago picked up a "gaming" laptop from Dell. It was top of the line and I have to say it worked ok. The problems I had were:
  • Hard drive sizes. If you want a fast drive that's huge (needed for games) expect to pay a lot.
  • Manufacturers' drivers for mobile video cards are usually far behind the current releases. Dell needs to work on this big time.
  • Even if you get the "upgradeable" laptops...they aren't really. Just dropping a new video module in there isn't going to get you more than another year or so.
  • Resale value is shit
  • Onboard sound usually sucks (although Vista supposedly allows you to get EAX etc. with cheap on-board sound)
These days I have a normal tower that I built that is easy to upgrade. If I were to get a laptop it would be for email, web, business, or whatever. Not gaming. I don't want to spoil your plans...just make you aware of some problems you may have. Some people use laptops for their primary game machines and it works just fine for them.[/QUOTE]

Your not spoiling my plans I have all the next generation game consoles. Like stuff that came out on the 360 I wanted to be able to have on the laptop because of convience. my limit was 2500 and I wanted a warranty included I dont want a 3-4 thousand dollar laptop is not really smart to get something that high. I already picked it up and got rainbow six vegas for it and it plays just like the 360 version. Very happy with the purchase and love how i have the option to watch hd dvd and have the output the hd dvd to my lcd hdtv through hdmi.

[quote name='Proto Man']Specs?[/QUOTE]

Here are the specs

Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited
Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited
Product Height 2.1"
Product Width 15.7"
Product Weight 9.4 lbs.
Product Depth 11.3"
Processor Brand Intel® Core(TM)2 Duo Mobile
Processor Speed 1.8GHz
Display Type WXGA+ widescreen TFT-LCD with TruBrite technology (1440 x 900)
screen Size 17"
System Bus 800MHz
Cache Memory 2MB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM) 2GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 4GB
Type of Memory (RAM) PC2-5300 DDR2
Hard Drive Type Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
Hard Drive Size 240GB
Optical Drive Double-layer DVD±RW/HD DVD-ROM/CD-RW
Optical Drive Speeds 2.4x DVD+R DL; 2x DVD-R DL; 8x4x8 DVD+RW; 8x4x8 DVD-RW; 5x DVD-RAM; 1x HD DVD-ROM; 24x10x24 CD-RW
Direct-Disc Labeling No
Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader
Diskette Drive No
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 8700M GT
Video Memory 256MB; up to 255MB additional memory with TurboCache
Personal Video Recorder (PVR) No
TV Tuner No
MPEG Yes
Networking Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking Built-in Intel® Wireless WiFi 4965AGN network connection (802.11a/b/g/n); Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
Security Technology Fingerprint reader
S-Video Outputs 1
Audio SPDIF out
Speakers Built-in Harman/Kardon stereo with subwoofer
PCMCIA Slots 1 ExpressCard 34/54
USB 2.0 Ports 6
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports 1
Parallel Ports None
Serial Ports None
Game Ports None
Notebook Weight Standard (more than 6 lbs.)
Battery Type Lithium-ion
Pointing Device Dual-mode pad and TouchPad with enable/disable function
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Included Software Microsoft Works 8.5; InterVideo WinDVD 8; Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0 and more

Have you considered getting a cheap laptop for maybe around $400 or $500 and the rest on a good desktop. The desktop would be as good in all catergories and better in others. But this is only true if you build your own, or get some help.

A 8800 GTS will set you back $260, an 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo would cost about $230 a good mobo with that about $100 to $150. Add in a 500Gb for about $100. 2GB of Ram for $!50. A case and PSU for $150. A 20" widescreen LCd for maybe $225. A mouse and keyboard for $60. A DVD burner for $30 and a set of speakers for $30.

That rough estimate comes to about $1350. You can toss in a soundcard too.

This would also give you the ability to upgrade. And if you have never assembled a computer then do not worry. People can walk you through it, it is really an extremyl simple process. Oops, I forgot the OS, add Vista for however much the version you want costs. Or get XP for a lot less.

Holy shit, don't get the 8700. It's shit. All it is is an 8600 overclocked. And the 8600 has about same performance as a weak Go 7800. I got my Clevo M570RU for $2200, and it has 17" WUXGA (1920x1200 true HD resolution) screen, GeForce Go 7950GTX 512mb vRAM upgradeable to any future card through the mgaic of MXM-IV/HE (that means a 9 series), 120GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+/-RW, 2GB 667MHz RAM capable up to 4 GB, internal bluetooh, internal 802.11a/b/g/n, optional bluetooth, 1.3MP camera, microphone, full sized keyboard, etc.

It's a great desktop replacement. RJTech have a good reputation on both Better Business Bureau and ResellerRatings.

And don't get a fingerprint scanner on any laptop. It just sucks. If you accidentally brush against it, it'll stop all programs to warn you that it didn't register your fingerprint.

http://www.rjtech.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M570RU

^ That should last you at LEAST 2 years for gaming if you don't upgrade anything. If you upgrade the GPU it'll last 5.

EDIT: To the people who are saying get a desktop and an OK laptop, think about it. Do you want two pieces of machinery? I sure as hell didn't, and plus, laptops just tickle me in no way a desktop could. Notebooks are stylish :)

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Holy shit, don't get the 8700. It's shit. All it is is an 8600 overclocked. And the 8600 has about same performance as a weak Go 7800. I got my Clevo M570RU for $2200, and it has 17" WUXGA (1920x1200 true HD resolution) screen, GeForce Go 7950GTX 512mb vRAM upgradeable to any future card through the mgaic of MXM-IV/HE (that means a 9 series), 120GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+/-RW, 2GB 667MHz RAM capable up to 4 GB, internal bluetooh, internal 802.11a/b/g/n, optional bluetooth, 1.3MP camera, microphone, full sized keyboard, etc.

It's a great desktop replacement. RJTech have a good reputation on both Better Business Bureau and ResellerRatings.

And don't get a fingerprint scanner on any laptop. It just sucks. If you accidentally brush against it, it'll stop all programs to warn you that it didn't register your fingerprint.

http://www.rjtech.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M570RU

^ That should last you at LEAST 2 years for gaming if you don't upgrade anything. If you upgrade the GPU it'll last 5.

EDIT: To the people who are saying get a desktop and an OK laptop, think about it. Do you want two pieces of machinery? I sure as hell didn't, and plus, laptops just tickle me in no way a desktop could. Notebooks are stylish :)[/QUOTE]

Thats nice and all but doesnt show the sound card, what kind of speakers does the laptop have and if I put something similar to what Ive paid for the laptop I got now. The website your giving me I am paying more for the laptop for less features. That is ok that is why there is such thing as a warranty which I can take the laptop back and upgrade when it starts getting old. The website looks like a mom and pop web design looks kind of iffy to me. I dont want a desktop just a laptop because of convienance and portability. I like to go out and not be stuck in the house all day because that is the only way I can play a game. The fingerprint scanner I never had a problem with those unless your really clumsy. The 8700M GT is a DX10 card I dont care how you claim its like another card I just want to play Vegas on the go and this Toshiba can do that. If your a grammar whore I dont really care Im tired thats all

It is a pretty sweet laptop, but I would recommend investing on a cheap $500 Laptop from either Dell or Compaq, then spend the rest building a PC from Newegg to do your hardcore gaming.

If you are always on the run, and never home then forget the desktop part and get the notebook, tho as others have said before...do NOT expect Desktop Performance. Check out my site to see what that laptop will run (It will basically run everything right now)

[quote name='Jewelz23']It is a pretty sweet laptop, but I would recommend investing on a cheap $500 Laptop from either Dell or Compaq, then spend the rest building a PC from Newegg to do your hardcore gaming.

If you are always on the run, and never home then forget the desktop part and get the notebook, tho as others have said before...do NOT expect Desktop Performance. Check out my site to see what that laptop will run (It will basically run everything right now)[/QUOTE]

Thanks but Im always on the run that is why I chose not to get a desktop plus its less space for me. Just because all the features it has is why I picked it. So far had it about a week so far so good. No problems

bread's done
Back