Is This A Good PC?

MrDubbs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...=home&cmArea=SEARCH&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

It's part of the next weeks ad for staples, you can go to view the weekly ad, then sneak peak. They add the monitor for 729.96, 2 cents less then the computers listed for
you get

AMD Phenom X-4 Quad Processor 9650
8 GB of RAM
750 GB Hard Drive
19" Monitor
15-1 Card Reader
802.11 b/g wireless lan
Super Multi DVD W/Light Scribe
256 dedicated graphics memory (don't know if it's a card or on board)
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit (wouldn't mean much to me since i have the ultimate version)

[quote name='richierich']No, you can build yourself one that easily kicks this comp's behind[/quote]

Well, I really want to upgrade my current system that I've been building on over the years, since I got 500 bucks for a graduation from college present in December. I don't really game, but would love a fast computer.

My current system has
AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.2 GHZ
4 GB of DDR (I believe it's DDR ram)
Geforce 7900GT video Card

Running Vista 64 bit Ultimate edition, but it feels slow to me still at times,

What can I get to upgrade? or what would you recommend? where am I'm not spending a whole bunch of money

You could definitely stand to get a new video card, and could easily get one for relatively cheap. However, your compy isn't all that far behind the times, and if it is feeling "slow", it's probably got something bogging it down, either in the form of too many processes running concurrently, spyware/malware/adware.

If you're computer literate enough, you may want to check out your task manager for programs that shouldn't be running or are just using up too much memory. Also couldn't hurt to see what stuff is running on startup, and seeing if you can't trim that list a little.

Your current comp is already pretty decent and that 7900GT is much better than any crappo integrated graphics. Buy a fast hard drive like a Raptor or a WD Black. That and a fresh Windows install and you should notice a nice boost for not a lot of money.

Well, I'll run a spyware check and see if that helps. I guess I could update the video card, but haven't the slightest clue which to get.

Another thing that bugs me is the time that my computer sometimes takes to access my external WD Mybook. It's connected by USB 2.0 but seems to lag at times, when acessing it. Anyway to speed that up? or is that par for a USB connected external?

[quote name='MrDubbs']Well, I really want to upgrade my current system that I've been building on over the years, since I got 500 bucks for a graduation from college present in December. I don't really game, but would love a fast computer.

My current system has
AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.2 GHZ
4 GB of DDR (I believe it's DDR ram)
Geforce 7900GT video Card

Running Vista 64 bit Ultimate edition, but it feels slow to me still at times,

What can I get to upgrade? or what would you recommend? where am I'm not spending a whole bunch of money[/quote]

The real question is how upgradeable is your board? If you've been fooling with it "for years" like you say I bet it's nearly maxed out, in which case you may as well start over.

it's not a bad deal, it's not a good deal - it's just the price for a pre-built computer.

if you can roll your own, do so.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']The real question is how upgradeable is your board? If you've been fooling with it "for years" like you say I bet it's nearly maxed out, in which case you may as well start over.[/quote]

the board is maxed as far as ram is concerned. don't know if the processor has a limit per board other then socket

[quote name='MrDubbs']the board is maxed as far as ram is concerned. don't know if the processor has a limit per board other then socket[/quote]
Yes, the FSB speed also comes into play for the mobo.

bread's done
Back