Is this against some kind of rules ?

Dirt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (95%)
I was just thinking. I have an auction on ebay right now and the reserve is set at a certain amount. Would it be like illegal or against the rules to post here what the reserve is and have other CAGers bid a bit to move the price up ? [Point being they could stop before they hit the reserve.] And maybe then other non CAG ebayers would ... getting caught up in the bidding ... bid over the reserve.

Dont like report me or anything cause obviously I aint done it yet. Just asking.

Ok well ... another question since I made the thread and all ... what if like you had a cousin who also had ebay and your auction was about to end but the bid wasnt as high as you wanted it. Could you get your cousin to bid over it so you wouldnt have to sell ? I guess I know the answer but it was just something I thought of.

And I hope this thread isnt making me look like some kind of cheat or something. I admit I thought these two things up but there is a difference in thinking and doing.

[quote name='Dirt']And I hope this thread isnt making me look like some kind of cheat or something. I admit I thought these two things up but there is a difference in thinking and doing.[/QUOTE]

There is also a difference between thinking something up, checking ebay's policy to see if it's allowed and posting your thoughts here.

Most of this stuff was legal when ebay started but abuse lead ebay to crack down on sketchy dealings.

My friend used to do this kind of thing. It got his ebay membership revoked. Personally, I wouldn't recommend trying it.

[quote name='zionoverfire']There is also a difference between thinking something up, checking ebay's policy to see if it's allowed and posting your thoughts here.

Most of this stuff was legal when ebay started but abuse lead ebay to crack down on sketchy dealings.[/QUOTE]

I didnt know one little topic was going to hurt anything.

which is still not to say that it hasn't been done before....many people come on here asking for help and hint at where the reserve is....im sure some have actually posted the reserve....but the catch is this: you have three kinds of people who will read this thread...1. those who will help 2. those who dont care 3. those who will report you to ebay

good luck

note: why dont you just post the auction here first and see how it goes

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']which is still not to say that it hasn't been done before....many people come on here asking for help and hint at where the reserve is....im sure some have actually posted the reserve....but the catch is this: you have three kinds of people who will read this thread...1. those who will help 2. those who dont care 3. those who will report you to ebay

good luck

note: why dont you just post the auction here first and see how it goes[/QUOTE]

Well to be honest now I am kinda hesitant about revealing my ebay identity for fear of getting reported for something I havent and wouldnt do.

I guess I will post it. It would be obvious I have done nothing if I were to be investigated. Should I post it here on in a seperate thread ?

[quote name='Dirt']
I didnt know one little topic was going to hurt anything.
[/QUOTE]

I'm just suggesting that in the future you read the ebay faq, just like everyone should read the CAG faq before they post site questions, but no one ever does.;)

[quote name='Dirt']I was just thinking. I have an auction on ebay right now and the reserve is set at a certain amount. Would it be like illegal or against the rules to post here what the reserve is and have other CAGers bid a bit to move the price up ? [Point being they could stop before they hit the reserve.] And maybe then other non CAG ebayers would ... getting caught up in the bidding ... bid over the reserve.

Dont like report me or anything cause obviously I aint done it yet. Just asking.
[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what the point of this would be anyway. If a bidder was going to bid above your reserve, wouldn't your reserve be met? Why do you need people to inflate it below the reserve price? Shill bidding is bad because it inflates the final price. But yeah, shill bidding is bad, regardless of your purpose.

A lot of CAGs post their auctions here, and a lot of CAGs bid on them, usually getting some bidding going on. It's not bad like shill bidding, since the CAGs are legit auction competitors; if they win, they will buy the auction item. If you're just looking for a little bidding action on your item, you could probably get that happening from just posting it here. (Might I recommend adding a discount for CAGs?)

Why even do a reserve auctions? Why not just set the minimum to a couple of bucks below your absolute minimum and run the auction.

Reserve auctions are a pain, and I avoid them -- if I am bidding on something I would like to have an actual chance to win.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']I'm not sure what the point of this would be anyway. If a bidder was going to bid above your reserve, wouldn't your reserve be met? Why do you need people to inflate it below the reserve price? Shill bidding is bad because it inflates the final price. But yeah, shill bidding is bad, regardless of your purpose.

A lot of CAGs post their auctions here, and a lot of CAGs bid on them, usually getting some bidding going on. It's not bad like shill bidding, since the CAGs are legit auction competitors; if they win, they will buy the auction item. If you're just looking for a little bidding action on your item, you could probably get that happening from just posting it here. (Might I recommend adding a discount for CAGs?)[/QUOTE]

Offering the carrot instead of the stick. :)
Well played :)

[quote name='Quackzilla']If you don't want to sell something, you reserve the right to cancel the auction at any time for any reason.[/QUOTE]

Wait at any time? I thought there was a certain period before the end of the auction when you couldn't cancel it.

[quote name='Dirt']I admit I thought these two things up but there is a difference in thinking and doing.[/QUOTE]

Obviously you aren't Catholic.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Wait at any time? I thought there was a certain period before the end of the auction when you couldn't cancel it.[/QUOTE]

That is correct. I think within the last 12 hours if there's bids you can't alter or cancel the auction. Though you can retract bids from bidders who you do not approve of.

I don't think it is a bad thing to post the reserve on your auction per se. Anytime I've felt the need to use a reserve price, I've always mentioned in the auction what it was. That way, if it hasn't gotten any bids, I at least know that anyone "watching" the auction and bidding at the last minute actually has a chance of getting the item.

I read a story once about some guys who would bid up each others auctions on vehicles. I think they got arrested and had the book thrown at them and actually had to pay restitution.

bread's done
Back