Is this an okay thing to do>

Obiwan456

CAGiversary!
Okay, so GameStop has the $50 extra credit on a 360 towards new hardware. If that includes a pre-order for a Vita, I'm thinking about taking the 360 I picked up last Saturday, trading it and doing the pre-order, then coming back a few weeks later to cancel the pre-order and get the credit (so I can pay of Gears 3 Epic Edition). Thing is, I'm feeling kinda nervous about it and want to know if it's for one legal and also if it's okay, something I would get in trouble for. Is this equivalent to scamming Game Stop?

[quote name='Obiwan456']Okay, so GameStop has the $50 extra credit on a 360 towards new hardware. If that includes a pre-order for a Vita, I'm thinking about taking the 360 I picked up last Saturday, trading it and doing the pre-order, then coming back a few weeks later to cancel the pre-order and get the credit (so I can pay of Gears 3 Epic Edition). Thing is, I'm feeling kinda nervous about it and want to know if it's for one legal and also if it's okay, something I would get in trouble for. Is this equivalent to scamming Game Stop?[/QUOTE]

I don't really understand what you're doing.. So you're going to trade in a 360 you just bought for substantially less credit than you probably paid for it, use the $50 "bonus" they're giving you to put towards a Vita, then cancel the Vita pre-order just to use $50 toward a game?

To begin with, this seems like a bad deal to me since you're trading in hardware you just bought. How much are they giving on 360s now? Is the $50+ whatever they're giving you actually more than what you paid, and if so by how much?

Second, it doesn't seem like there's a guarantee that they'd let you do this in the first plcae... that $50 might be some kind of promo that can only go towards hardware, so getting that $50 "back" might only let you get other hardware anyway.

This doesn't really seem worth it to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

[quote name='leshrac55']To begin with, this seems like a bad deal to me since you're trading in hardware you just bought. How much are they giving on 360s now? Is the $50+ whatever they're giving you actually more than what you paid, and if so by how much?[/quote]

I picked it up at a garage sale for $50, With the extra $50, I'll get $110. So yes, it is a very good deal. Plus, I learned a few weeks ago they can't take back credit they've already given. Trust me, it'll be years before I sell my personal 250gb Xbox Slim.

I must be the only person who doesn't see Game Stop as a scam, lol. And it isn't...if you know how to work the system. But this makes me feel better.

Also makes me wonder, if the Vita thing doesn't work, what do I do? Wait for a $25 dollar trade deal, or buy a new DS Lite then return it a few days later?

GS isn't a scam. Do they sell stuff for the prices marked? Yes.
Do they force you to trade stuff in at their prices? No. If you think they're bad, try trading in college textbooks or most cars.
The only thing that is 'scammish' is selling used games as new - which I have heard about, but have never encountered proof. Plus, it's a game. Unless it's damaged, the impact is minimal.

That said, if they'll let you use the credit for any purchase, go for it. Technically they could say "you don't get the bonus credit unless you use it on the hardware like we said", and I'm sure their computer system could enforce that - whether or not it does, is another story. Alternately, they could say 'use the credit on whatever you want', because ultimate credit and gift cards and things like that generally benefit the retailer.

[quote name='Obiwan456']I must be the only person who doesn't see Game Stop as a scam, lol.[/QUOTE]

It's not, people just like to complain that their trade-in values are low, as if they don't understand commerce. Which they probably don't. Somehow it becomes GIANT SCAM when they voluntarily keep going to Gamestop.

[quote name='dtcarson']GS isn't a scam. Do they sell stuff for the prices marked? Yes.
Do they force you to trade stuff in at their prices? No. If you think they're bad, try trading in college textbooks or most cars.
The only thing that is 'scammish' is selling used games as new - which I have heard about, but have never encountered proof.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That's another thing, everybody in the world knows they sell gutted games. Asked for a sealed one or stop buying them. People keep feeding the troll and then wondering why it won't go away.

Glad to see I'm not alone. I'll call them tomorrow and find out if I can use it on a Vita. If not I'll just wait for the extra $25 dollar deal next time that rolls around.

You'd think that, but the guys said they can't take credit back. When the guy accidentally rang up two copies of Uncharted 2 for trade in, I went back and asked, and he said he couldn't do anything. Don't see why that wouldn't apply here.

I'm not sure if cancelling it will negate the bonus you earned for preordering Vita. Let me know how it goes if you do so.

They will NOT revoke your extra trade credit when you cancel the preorder on the Vita and move it to the Gears 3. There's no way to A) See where that total credit came from once it's on there, B) They won't care.

Source: I worked there for 4 years.

I figured they wouldn't see where it came from, and I already knew they couldn't take it off because of the aforementioned Uncharted 2 incident. Just gotta find out if the deal works. Gimmie a sec.

Annnnnd nope. It has to be a system they have in stock. Now I either buy a DSlite then return it, or I just give up on it and wait for their next $25 deal.

bread's done
Back