Is this LCD HDTV any good?

ralph10

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Not sure about the other one, but I do have a 46" sharp and it's a great TV. The smaller version should be just as good. Highly recommended.

a bit off subject, but i saw sears rumored black friday ad and it had the 42" sharp lcd tv for $799 and the 46" for 899.

food for thought.

[quote name='paz9x']a bit off subject, but i saw sears rumored black friday ad and it had the 42" sharp lcd tv for $799 and the 46" for 899.

food for thought.[/quote]

And since this "rumor" has appeared, not a single person has even been able to confirm anything with it. It started on slickdeals and everyone has ran with it from there. If it's going to happen, then great, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I suggest you check out http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OLEV...63702/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do. I just bought it and it is a really nice tv. Same size as the other 2 and less money. Only 2 draw backs to this tv. The first one is no manual. Well you get one but it is on a CD and is not a book like most. The other is the remote. It is not a universal one and most universal remotes out now might not work with this tv. Other then them 2 things this is a really great buy.

[quote name='mtxbass1']And since this "rumor" has appeared, not a single person has even been able to confirm anything with it. It started on slickdeals and everyone has ran with it from there. If it's going to happen, then great, but I wouldn't bet on it.[/QUOTE]
doesnt sound too far fetched. last year there were 40" or 42" lcds availible for $999 I know if i were int he market for another lcd id surely wait to see whats availible come black friday, or atleast but within the return policy window just in case.

if you want an hdtv, i suggest waiting for the black friday deals, you could jump from 720p to 1080p really cheap if you wait...

[quote name='sendme']I suggest you check out http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OLEVIA-32-2-Series-LCD-HDTV-232V/sem/rpsm/oid/163702/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do. I just bought it and it is a really nice tv. Same size as the other 2 and less money. Only 2 draw backs to this tv. The first one is no manual. Well you get one but it is on a CD and is not a book like most. The other is the remote. It is not a universal one and most universal remotes out now might not work with this tv. Other then them 2 things this is a really great buy.[/quote]

I've had this same set since the beginning of this year and no major problems at all for me. The only problem I have is a low "hissing" noise coming from the speakers. It's not that bad because I mainly use my receiver to watch and play. This is being used as my primary tv and 2nd monitor to watch shows from my computer.

I'd suggest looking at avsforums.com to see for the 2 tv's you mentioned OP. The site is really informative.

The best deals on BF you will have to wait a day in line. So, if your time has little value then waiting is ok. Most of the best lcd tv deals on BF are the cheaper models in the first place. These hdtv topics should be broken down into topics based on price ranges a person is willing to spend. Lately there have been some 42in 1080p deals to be had from the $900-1200 range. Sharp toshiba and LG. Both of those are pretty good I would lean towards the sharp. The other thing that tends to be consistent is that the budget model hdtv's tend to look like crap when watching standard def. content. The processor chip does a better job upconverting standard content on the better models. This is something you may wish to consider if you will be watching non hi def content much. A great forum for info is AVS.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

im not a fan of HDTV due to the potential list of problems (stuck pixels, ghosting, burn in, etc)....my real compaint is the low contrast ratio..

you really need to figure out if 1080p is important to you or not since you already have the size picked out and then go from there

[quote name='paz9x']a bit off subject, but i saw sears rumored black friday ad and it had the 42" sharp lcd tv for $799 and the 46" for 899.

food for thought.[/quote]

True if I were you OP I would wait, most analyst and "experts" seems to think you will find 32" - 42" LCDs for a couple hundred bucks. Last years CC had the Olivia 26" for 349.99 year later you will be able to get the 32" for that price. But as said above you will wait a day in line so whats your time worth. Another note I have been reading that Stores will not price match the BF ads so no buying early I know a few did this last year.

[quote name='Malik112099']im not a fan of HDTV due to the potential list of problems (stuck pixels, ghosting, burn in, etc)....my real compaint is the low contrast ratio..

you really need to figure out if 1080p is important to you or not since you already have the size picked out and then go from there[/quote]

What? When is the last time you have looked at an HDTV ? I have not seen a stuck pixel in a long time, ghosting and burn in issue have been fixed, CR dont let the numbers full you its optimal test conditons. I have a Vizio 26" in my bed room with 700:1 CR and blacks are black. Do it , go get a HDTV

I just got a Vizio VX37L (37") for 588 shipped (548 after main in rebate) at macmall.com. its a GREAT TV, We have a panasonic plasma and also a DLP projector in my house as well and as far as picture quality goes its pretty darn close (especially for the price!)

if your looking for a 32" you can get one at macmall for under 500

I have a 26" vizio in eacj of my 3 bedrooms and a 37" vizio in the living room they are great quality for the money. They come with 1 year in home service and the hd picture is wonderful. ghosting and screen burn in are problems of the past and nothing to worry about. Check out the vizio it is american made and a great tv.

[quote name='sendme']I suggest you check out http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OLEVIA-32-2-Series-LCD-HDTV-232V/sem/rpsm/oid/163702/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do. I just bought it and it is a really nice tv. Same size as the other 2 and less money. Only 2 draw backs to this tv. The first one is no manual. Well you get one but it is on a CD and is not a book like most. The other is the remote. It is not a universal one and most universal remotes out now might not work with this tv. Other then them 2 things this is a really great buy.[/quote]

x2, i have the 27" version, great tv

[quote name='Vinny']I'm with the name brand HDTV crowd (the Sonys, Sharps, Samsungs, etc.)... they just product a better image. Period.

I have this Sharp and love it. It's almost exactly the same as the one you have linked OP but... looks different and costs more at CC for some reason (I paid $780 for it).
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Shar...86142/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do[/QUOTE]

The TV you linked to is the aquos, which has a 6000:1 CR, as opposed to the 1200:1 of the OP's link.

Also, the aquos has an additional component video input. Not sure about the overall picture quality difference between the regular sharp and the aquos.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm with the name brand HDTV crowd (the Sonys, Sharps, Samsungs, etc.)... they just produce a better image. Period.

I have this Sharp and love it. It's almost exactly the same as the one you have linked OP but... looks different and costs more at CC for some reason (I paid $780 for it).
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sharp-32-AQUOS-LCD-HDTV-LC-32D43U/sem/rpsm/oid/186142/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do[/quote]

I love this argument considering that there is only a handful of panel manufactures. All the 2nd tier brands just buy last generation panels to save cost, so if you like this years Sony you will like next years Westy at half the price. Most of the first tier guys don't make panels they get OEM from Korea and China and add there boards and Faroudja processing chips. And I will say it again I own both a Sony and a Vizio LCD and love both , great HD on both, good SD on both, The edge will go to Sony in the sound area but I never use my Sony for sound.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']I love this argument considering that there is only a handful of panel manufactures. All the 2nd tier brands just buy last generation panels to save cost, so if you like this years Sony you will like next years Westy at half the price. Most of the first tier guys don't make panels they get OEM from Korea and China and add there boards and Faroudja processing chips. And I will say it again I own both a Sony and a Vizio LCD and love both , great HD on both, good SD on both, The edge will go to Sony in the sound area but I never use my Sony for sound.[/QUOTE]

Well, then there must be something to these newer panels over last year's models because my AQUOS looks noticeably better than my brother's Vizio (can't remember the model but both our LCDs are the same size, similar specs, but his was $200 less). While it's true they do use the same panels, they don't use the same technology - filtering, decoders, and whatever other jazz they're calling 'em these days.

And to whoever said my tv has a 6000:1 contrast ratio: no, that's not true. My TV has a dynamic contrast ratio (basically, a marketing trick) of 6000:1 but really it's CR is 1200:1.

[quote name='Vinny']Well, then there must be something to these newer panels over last year's models because my AQUOS looks noticeably better than my brother's Vizio (can't remember the model but both our LCDs are the same size, similar specs, but his was $200 less). While it's true they do use the same panels, they don't use the same technology - filtering, decoders, and whatever other jazz they're calling 'em these days.

And to whoever said my tv has a 6000:1 contrast ratio: no, that's not true. My TV has a dynamic contrast ratio (basically, a marketing trick) of 6000:1 but really it's CR is 1200:1.[/quote]

See I don't deny and never have the quality of a AQUOS or a brivia (hell I own a sony). What I try to get across is you can get a good TV a quality TV for little money sure the the colors on Vizios seem to not be as bright but there not bad. Frankly I like my colors muted some I cant stand super bright colors it hurts my eyes truthfully. My thing is if some one comes on CAG and asks hey I want to get a 26"-32" for under little money I would rather show them a good 2nd tier instead of some crappy house brand.

bread's done
Back