Is this normal?

N1c0_ds

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
This thread is adressed to 14-16 years-old CAGs.

I am 15 years old, I will turn 16 in september. I am not a troublesome kid, I get good grades, mostly over the average and I'm not dependant. I was just wondering if this rules were normal. All of my friends find them ridiculous, so I wanted your opinion too, random internet people.

Do this still makes sense at my age:
-Can't chose when I eat, new house rule wants that I am not allowed to eat after 9:30PM
-Bedtime is 10PM during the week, 11:30PM during the weekend
-I can't do what I want with my money (gotta ask to buy anything over 60$ or on eBay)
-I can't use computers and gaming systems after 9PM
-I can't eat chips except during the weekend
-I can't come back home after 9PM, (9:30 when I'm lucky).

Yet my parents keep telling me I'm lucky to be allowed so much even if I keep telling them everyone consider them obsessively controlling (friends, schoolmates, workmates...).

Are they obsessively controlling me or am I just totally wrong and that's how everyone lives? I'd like to put an end to that and mere discussion always end in a monologue where my opinion is discarded.

everything seems normal except the chip thing and the eating thing. Unless you have a weight problem, then I could see that. But yeah, parents roof and the whole thing, their rules, nothing outrageous I can see there for a person your age.

At least they care about what you eat, how you manage your money, time, and want you to get a good night's rest. After seeing the effects of lackadaisical parenting, I wished more parents cared as much about their children. These days, parents try too hard to be friends with their kids, and not parents.

[quote name='chasemurata']At least they care about what you eat, how you manage your money, time, and want you to get a good night's rest. After seeing the effects of lackadaisical parenting, I wished more parents cared as much about their children. These days, parents try too hard to be friends with their kids, and not parents.[/quote]

Yeah, there's the two extremes. I got some friends that have their parents buy their smokes for them. Meh. Mine keep threatening me for all kinds of stuff and I'd rather not take drugs and have them learn about it. They are far from being my friends, more like bosses, the "I'm right, shut the fuck up" kind of boss.

Oh, and by the way, by parents, I mean mother-in-law and father. My mom's more understanding and God knows how many rolleyes I got from her sharing my stories ;)

And I don't have a weight or acne problem. I'm tall and slim.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']Yeah, there's the two extremes. I got some friends that have their parents buy their smokes for them. Meh. Mine keep threatening me for all kinds of stuff and I'd rather not take drugs and have them learn about it. They are far from being my friends, more like bosses, the "I'm right, shut the fuck up" kind of boss.

Oh, and by the way, by parents, I mean mother-in-law and father. My mom's more understanding and God knows how many rolleyes I got from her sharing my stories ;)

And I don't have a weight or acne problem. I'm tall and slim.[/quote]

Wow. Just wow......

doesnt seem too bad, even though it sucks now. believe it or not, in hindsight i think i would be better off today if i had half those rules in place when i was your age, because i got away with just about anything.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']Yeah, there's the two extremes. I got some friends that have their parents buy their smokes for them. Meh. Mine keep threatening me for all kinds of stuff and I'd rather not take drugs and have them learn about it. They are far from being my friends, more like bosses, the "I'm right, shut the fuck up" kind of boss.

And I don't have a weight or acne problem. I'm tall and slim.[/QUOTE]Dang. :cool:

It could be worse, ask darthfudge.

[quote name='SpitFire158']Wow. Just wow......[/quote]

Sad indeed. One of them knew he was doing drugs, yet he always looked at me like if I was a bad guy. This friend is now in a foster home, he dropped school and he's not the same anymore.

Drugs do bad stuff, lesson learned.

A little draconian, but at least you know they care about you, unlike the cigarette parents. Save your money to move out in three years if you want more freedom.

[quote name='Eviltude']You live with your mother-in-law and your father? So your spouses mom and your father live together?[/quote]

My father's girlfriend. How do you say that then?

(I'm a french canadian)

-Can't chose when I eat, new house rule wants that I am not allowed to eat after 9:30PM
Probably in place to force family dinners. IMO I'd just say if you don't eat what I make for dinner when I serve it, you ain't getting shit. If you eat after that, you better not make a mess and kitchen should be how you found it.

I never understood bedtimes, if you can function normally with less/more sleep than it should be allowed. Just try to get your 7-9 hours in.

-I can't do what I want with my money (gotta ask to buy anything over 60$ or on eBay)
I'd say let you waste your money how you want but I'm not supporting you after 18.

Don't understand this one either. As long as you keep it quiet should be fine, but your parent are probably concerned that they can't supervise you past a certain time.

Um.. ok..

Ties in with the computer thing I'd imagine. Your parents either want to be able to rest knowing you're home safe at a reasonable hour, or just want you home to make sure you're not getting into trouble, as there aren't too many things a 14-16 year old needs to be doing out past 9.

If you don't like these rules, get your ass to work and start looking for a cheap apartment. Bottom line is, your parents are supporting you, take advantage of it while you can and follow their rules no matter how stupid you might think they are.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']My father's girlfriend. How do you say that then?

(I'm a french canadian)[/QUOTE]

...Your father's girlfriend. If they married she would be your step-mother. The French-Canadian part explains a lot.

[quote name='chakan']A little draconian, but at least you know they care about you, unlike the cigarette parents. Save your money to move out in three years if you want more freedom.[/quote]

That's what I'm doing. I know they care about me tho, it's just the way they do it I don't like. I'm really careful about the way I spend my money, my studies and all the stuff but I'm sometimes treated as a troublesome teen. While I'm not a perfect child, sometimes they drive me insane ("Don't forget to eat" and "be careful when crossing the street" among others).

You're totally wrong. Those are very reasonable concessions, and I'm not sure why you think you're not dependent. Do you cook and pay rent? Will you be paying your college tuition yourself in a few years? If not, you're dependent.

Your curfew is fair since there's nothing to do outside that late that you can't do during the daytime. Your parents, in my opinion, are more than lenient on your Internet spending habits since I had several friends your age who would steal their parents' credit cards and rack up thousands of dollars in charges, and while you don't seem the type to do so, it's very easy to get phished online (if you don't know what that is, you shouldn't be allowed to shop online).

If you want a later bedtime, spend your evenings more productively. Read, study, watch the news, if you don't help out with cleaning up after dinner already, do that. I know the temptation to use the computer or gab on the phone is high, but you have plenty of time to do that after school.

The only thing I find weird is that you can't eat chips on weekdays, but your parents would let you play video games? Do you eat chips everyday? They're very high in sodium, contain MSG, and promote obesity, so if you eat them regularly, you should cut back to no more than a serving (1 oz.) or two a week.

[quote name='whitereflection']-I'm not sure why you think you're not dependent.

-Your curfew is fair since there's nothing to do outside that late that you can't do during the daytime.

-Your parents, in my opinion, are more than lenient on your Internet spending habits since I had several friends your age who would steal their parents' credit cards and rack up thousands of dollars in charges, and while you don't seem the type to do so, it's very easy to get phished online (if you don't know what that is, you shouldn't be allowed to shop online).

-If you want a later bedtime, spend your evenings more productively. Read, study, watch the news, if you don't help out with cleaning up after dinner already, do that. I know the temptation to use the computer or gab on the phone is high, but you have plenty of time to do that after school.

-The only thing I find weird is that you can't eat chips on weekdays, but your parents would let you play video games? Do you eat chips everyday? They're very high in sodium, contain MSG, and promote obesity, so if you eat them regularly, you should cut back to no more than a serving (1 oz.) or two a week.[/quote]

-I don't need lifts, I never ask them for money, I will pay my college and car (which I think is totally normal), I can cook myself whenever they let me. That's already a lot of stuff the people I asked could not say.

-I got my own computer, my own Paypal account and my own eBay account. They are not linked in anyway to my internet shopping and I'm rather computer savvy, so is my father. I had to fight to be able to get my Paypal account and eBay. I know what phishing is, too.

-Bullshit (sorry). Nobody does that, and they all choose what time they go to bed at. 11PM would be enough for me and as long as I don't keep the whole household awake, I don't see any problem staying up late on weekends.
I also happen to spend a lot of time reading wikipedia and Damn Interesting. I also program, read comics and draw, nothing too crazy.

-I'm not a chip addict. I eat some while watching TV, once in a while. I eat under two servings for sure. Oh, and I buy some Doritos occasionally when I crave for chips, but that's it.

[quote name='Rocko']Darthbudge would kill for your life.

However, I do find these a little overbearing.[/quote]

Whats so bad about his life?

[quote name='crystalklear64']-Can't chose when I eat, new house rule wants that I am not allowed to eat after 9:30PM
Probably in place to force family dinners. IMO I'd just say if you don't eat what I make for dinner when I serve it, you ain't getting shit. If you eat after that, you better not make a mess and kitchen should be how you found it.
I usually eat a lil' something before the shower, nothing crazy. Sometimes I just want an apple and it turns into an argument.

I never understood bedtimes, if you can function normally with less/more sleep than it should be allowed. Just try to get your 7-9 hours in.
I wake up at 7:40, so surf the web/play games on my phone to kill time until 11 so I sleep well. 10PM is way to early.

I'd say let you waste your money how you want but I'm not supporting you after 18. Wasting is a rather weak term, I got about 3000$ in bank I'm not even touching. I'm also making money on eBay now. They tought it was a privilege for me to buy an Xbox.

Don't understand this one either. As long as you keep it quiet should be fine, but your parent are probably concerned that they can't supervise you past a certain time. They're going to bed at about 10 and I proposed them to move my Xbox in my room on the second floor for the noise. I'm right beside the living room, so I'm almost playing on mute when they watch TV. When they go to bed I can barely hear TV. Sometimes he's overdoing the noise thing. They sleep with the door wide open and then brag about noise. :roll: They think I'll play 'till 2 in the morning on weekdays. COMMON SENSE!

Um.. ok..

Ties in with the computer thing I'd imagine. Your parents either want to be able to rest knowing you're home safe at a reasonable hour, or just want you home to make sure you're not getting into trouble, as there aren't too many things a 14-16 year old needs to be doing out past 9. Playing hockey, hanging in the park with friends, staying at a friend's house. I stopped hanging with troublemakers a long while ago.

If you don't like these rules, get your ass to work and start looking for a cheap apartment. Bottom line is, your parents are supporting you, take advantage of it while you can and follow their rules no matter how stupid you might think they are. That's what I do. They pay me the lunch, they feed me and pay for my clothes (except if I want expensive crap) and I'm lucky for this, but when they do "deals" with me, I'm fighting for my sanity. One of these deals says I can't wear a piece of clothes for two weeks if I don't put it in my drawers. WTF[/quote]

Posttooshortblablabla

EDIT: Thanks all for your opinion, it helps a lot to get insights from parents and other folks.

Answer to your problems.

But seriously:

[quote name='N1c0_ds']
-Can't chose when I eat, new house rule wants that I am not allowed to eat after 9:30PM[/quote]

Sort of a strange rule, but how often do you eat after nine?

[quote name='N1c0_ds']
-Bedtime is 10PM during the week,
[/quote]

Normal. I'd even say lenient.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']
11:30PM during the weekend
[/quote]

fuck that. As long as you're not too tired for school, I don't see what the problem is with staying up late.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']
[/quote]

I personally think that's a little extreme. (Assuming you dont spend your money on stupid shit like THE HAWTEST NEW RINGTONES!!!)

[quote name='N1c0_ds']
[/quote]

Normal, but I've never understood that rule. I don't see the point if you're allowed to be awake for another hour anyway...

[quote name='N1c0_ds']
[/quote]

LOL! That sucks!

[quote name='N1c0_ds']
[/quote]

Normal for weekdays, not so normal for weekends...

[quote name='N1c0_ds']
Are they obsessively controlling me or am I just totally wrong and that's how everyone lives? I'd like to put an end to that and mere discussion always end in a monologue where my opinion is discarded.[/quote]

You have strict parents. I know, it sucks, mine were the same way. (I wasn't allowed to play Bomberman after Columbine :bomb:). Eventually, (instead of sneaking around the rules), I began blatantly ignoring them. My parents got mad at me, but I shrugged it off and eventually they stopped enforcing the rules. For instance: my parents told me I couldn't have a TV in my room, so, I went to the store with my friend and bought a TV. Simple.

How old are you, OP? I'd say that 14-16 is a fairly large gap when it comes to rules enforced on children by parents.

Ahaha, I should read more. My bad.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']This thread is adressed to 14-16 years-old CAGs.

I am 15 years old, I will turn 16 in september. I am not a troublesome kid, I get good grades, mostly over the average and I'm not dependant. I was just wondering if this rules were normal. All of my friends find them ridiculous, so I wanted your opinion too, random internet people.

Yet my parents keep telling me I'm lucky to be allowed so much even if I keep telling them everyone consider them obsessively controlling (friends, schoolmates, workmates...).

Are they obsessively controlling me or am I just totally wrong and that's how everyone lives? I'd like to put an end to that and mere discussion always end in a monologue where my opinion is discarded.[/quote]

Well, I am also 15 and I am turning 16 in August. Here is how to compares to my rules.

1. Not letting you eat after 9:30PM doesn't really seem like an issue. Do you really want to eat that late anyway? Also this doesn't really apply to me.

2. Be Happy that you have a Bedtime that late, my mom usually makes me go to bed at 9PM. Weekend or not.

3. Well is it your money that you earned at a job or such? If so, that is insane. If it is money they provided you, then that seems reasonable.

4. I don't really get this one, especially if they are allowing to stay up later then that.

5. Yeah that sucks, but it is probably better for your health.

6. Unless you are out doing something far from home, this doesn't seem like a big issue.

So overall, your parents are better then mine. But I guess all the rules seem alright.

I'll go against the grain and say that those rules could only be alright if they were presented differently.

If you keep telling your kid that they should be thankful for rules, of course they aren't going to agree.

There are a lot of specific comments I wanted to make as I read your posts. But they really don't matter, instead I will just ramble.

The point is that your parents aren't strict. They have their rules and you have to follow them. All of your comments about "but so and so's parents" are about the worst arguments you could make. First of all, your parents are not "so and so's" parents. And secondly, you yourself stated how messed up some of your friends are who have parents who encourage dumb behavior or just don't care. Doesn't that show you how your parents feel about you? They love you and know a hell of a lot better what is good for you than you do. I know that is the last thing someone like yourself (i.e. your age) wants to hear, but it is true. They just have the experience to know what choices you should be making and they are just trying to give you guidance before you are out on your own.

My parents had many similar rules. But I was always a letter of the law kid. I don't think they worried about me straying or getting in trouble. So I never seemed to have the same rules stated to me that the other kids had drilled into them time and again, although it often seemed they expected more out of me than they did the others. I think they just knew that I would make good choices. I remember being out with my friends (well, at one of their homes with their parents and a bunch of our friends) either my sophomore or junior year. We were hanging out playing mafia and probably watching Disney movies or some other random fun stuff and it got real late. I didn't get a ride home until like 2am. I thought I was dead. But I never heard a word of it. I know my other siblings would have gotten it for doing something like that (they often did). I just wish at moments like that I would have either gotten yelled at or had expressed in words that they knew I was okay because they trusted me. But that is an assumption I have always had to make to help keep me sane. I think my parents have a different level of trust with me, but I have always worried deep down inside that maybe they didn't care about me as much as they did the other kids. You know, one of those thoughts you know isn't true, but it keeps on nagging you. Honestly, if I could ever give any parent advice about raising children, it would be to set rules. Set rules and don't go back on them. Be constant with all of your children. It really does help a child grow up, knowing that they are loved. And rules give that assurance.

Point being: I know it's hard for you to see right now, but be grateful.

Just for the record OP, there are people with parents much more controlling than yours. That being said, I present to you the rules I had to obey when I was your age:

- No "M" games. Period.
- I had to ask before I could buy a "T" game.
- No TV or video games during the week. Including Friday afternoon. (Even at a friend's house. My parents would actually call my friend's parents and ask them to enforce the rules).
- A total of three hours per weekend to spend on TV/games/computer. (Even at a friend's. Same bit).
- I had to have a parent in the room to use the internet.
- No "R" movies. Period.
- I had to ask before watching a PG-13 movie.
- No music with curse words. If I wanted a CD, I'd have to buy it, then let my parents listen to it. If the approved, I could keep it. If they didn't they'd take it without paying me back.
- No concerts.
- Nine o'clock bedtime on weekdays, ten o'clock on weekends. (Even if I was spending the night at a friends house).
- No taking naps. (Seriously).
- I wasn't allowed to have a job. They wanted me to focus on school.
- I literally had a printed list of shows I was allowed to watch. All of my friend's parents got a copy of this list.
- If I wanted a book, my parents had to read it first to make sure it was appropriate.
- Church every Sunday. No exceptions.
- No sugary cereal. I was limited to this or oatmeal.
- No junk food. Period.

This one's a doozie. I found out my parents had been doing this in secret for quite some time:

Whenever I had a birthday party my parents would, one by one, take my friends into a different room and interrogate them on what they got me as a gift to make sure it was appropriate for me.

You think you're parents are bad OP? Try living with that for 14 years. I got to the point where where I just stopped listening to them. My parents would take away my Playstation for breaking the rules, and I'd immediately put it back ans start playing it again.

The transition took a week or two, but eventually they learned that I was pretty much done with the rules. From that point on I could do whatever I wanted.

I didn't see it mentioned:

You shouldn't even have PayPal and eBay accounts anyway. You aren't old enough.

As for the others, I myself would say they are kinda tight...mainly because my parents never had such rules in place. (I never got into trouble.)

Except for the eating ones. More parents need to implement some sort of dietary rules on their children.

My parents were pretty strict but overall pretty cool.

I think they only made one mistake.

Mandatory church and sunday school. It doesn't stop there - for some reason we had to drive an hour into the city (plus time for random traffic tie-ups - even though there was a Catholic church 5 minutes away). Granted I only had to waste 1/7 of my youth which was otherwise fairly normal. But I do have to ask why.

Here's a tip for all the people who follow those Abrahamic religions - if your kids are in HS and they still don't believe in your religion please, please don't try and keep force-feeding it down their throats. It's only going to backfire when they become the next Richard Dawkins.

I was talking to a Buddhist guy at work - it was pretty funny because once they were old enough he let his children choose their own path, his HS daughter was converted to Christianity, and she was now trying to convert him. No good deed goes unpunished. It's a polar opposite of my experience and we laughed because it's just what they do, but I could tell that he was bothered by it. If you've ever wondered why people resent Abrahamic religion hopefully this post helps to open your eyes.

Aye, these all seem normal. Hell, I wasn't allowed to even hang out with friends until this year, my junior year in highschool. Once you get more hardcore into school, the bedtimes tend to naturally disappear, due to countless hours of studying for big exams. The only thing that's odd is the eating time. But I guess some families keep traditions.

Keep on keepin' on.

EDIT: What the hell? Darthbudge is only 15? Didn't know a kid that young could be such an ass ;)

seems normal. its good to have parents that put on some rules. way better then ones who dont and the kid takes a turn for the worse and they wonder what they did wrong. that shit always makes me crack up.

Hmmm... I had strict parents but some of these rules seem kind of odd to me - especially the ones related to food.

Is this forum full of middle aged losers? Jesus Titty fucking Christ, those rules are INSANE! Eating? Eat whatever the fuck you want. Its your body. Not staying up late? If you have no trouble with little amounts of sleep and keep your grades up, then its not a problem. Bedtime on a weekend? WTF? Stay up as late as you want there is nothing you need to do on Saturday during the summer anyway. The worst of all is the 9:30 bedtime on weekdays. Its normal for somebody to be up late finishing off a report. The fact that you are going to drive in a lil bit is whats making we go wtf. If you are responsible enough to have a car and drive etc etc, you should atleast be able to eat w/e the fuck you want and be responsible enough to go to bed when you are tired. Who the fuck goes to be at 930 unless they are tired? God damn there are like rules for a 10 year old. Dont take that sht!

[quote name='s00pNAZi']Is this forum full of middle aged losers? Jesus Titty fucking Christ, those rules are INSANE! Eating? Eat whatever the fuck you want. Its your body. Not staying up late? If you have no trouble with little amounts of sleep and keep your grades up, then its not a problem. Bedtime on a weekend? WTF? Stay up as late as you want there is nothing you need to do on Saturday during the summer anyway. The worst of all is the 9:30 bedtime on weekdays. Its normal for somebody to be up late finishing off a report. The fact that you are going to drive in a lil bit is whats making we go wtf. If you are responsible enough to have a car and drive etc etc, you should atleast be able to eat w/e the fuck you want and be responsible enough to go to bed when you are tired. Who the fuck goes to be at 930 unless they are tired? God damn there are like rules for a 10 year old. Dont take that sht![/quote]

Truck%20of%20Fail.jpg

Most especially because of the total of 6 forum posts and shitty spelling.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']
Truck%20of%20Fail.jpg

Most especially because of the total of 6 forum posts and shitty spelling.[/quote]

Wow, its a forum grammar $$$$$$. Quit being a bitch. This is the intarweb, not your shit HS English class. The fact that you werent allowed to hang out with friends until you were fucking 17 bothers me. 17 years old? Are you kidding me? I hung out with my friends when I was 5. Go shove a cock up your ass, you parents obviously wouldnt want to see you posting semi-rude insults on the internet. If I wanted a comeback, I would wipe it off your mother's face.

I am 16, and my parents aren't so gung ho. I try to go to sleep around 10 PM on weekdays anyway, but I usually go to sleep at 12AM - 1 AM on weekends, usually playing video games with my brother, cousins and friends online.

My grades are exceptional, and I push myself with a heavy course load. I also refrain from playing on week days, except this week I played because AP tests just ended.

As for money, I don't buy anything that expensive, and I usually consult my older brother on anything I buy so I don't spend money in dumb ways, and my parents realize that.

However, your parents still seem reasonable to me. I mean you do have M rated games on your gamertag, so they can't be all that restrictive.

[quote name='s00pNAZi']Wow, its a forum grammar $$$$$$. Quit being a bitch. This is the intarweb, not your shit HS English class. The fact that you werent allowed to hang out with friends until you were fucking 17 bothers me. 17 years old? Are you kidding me? I hung out with my friends when I was 5. Go shove a cock up your ass, you parents obviously wouldnt want to see you posting semi-rude insults on the internet. If I wanted a comeback, I would wipe it off your mother's face.[/quote]

See this is a great example of what shitty parenting does.

[quote name='Zen Davis']See this is a great example of what shitty parenting does.[/quote]

I do and I know Im seeming to come off as a dick, but wasting time just to post a reply like that because of a spelling error is a waste.

[quote name='N1c0_ds']This thread is adressed to 14-16 years-old CAGs.

Dude, your parents are Nazis, maybe you should show them this thread. Im 16 and Ill just fill in the answers what pertains to me.

Can't chose when I eat, new house rule wants that I am not allowed to eat after 9:30PM

1.I go in the cupboard and eat what ever when ever, most of the time, maybe not before dinner but you get the point.

2.11-11:30ish on school nights. But if I have hw/project/story for the newspaper, when ever I finish When ever on weekend/summer. Typically this is around 2-4ish. When ever I feel like it.

3.I work so my parents dont have that much control, I might let them know but for the most part they see if I make it I can spend it. They may nag me every once in a while about saving for car, college ect. but once again you get the point.

4.Well Im on here right now(Almost 11). So basicly I can be on until by bead time or when ever.

5.See 1.

6. Meh, maybe about 10:30ish again on weekdays and a decent hour on weekends.

But I also get good grades, about 3.5GPA in honors classes and I think Im a good kid. XD

bread's done
Back