Is this PC worth $260?...

SEGA128DC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Hmm, I'm looking into buying a PC with more horse power, not for gaming, but to handle the internet with multiple applications running at the same time. My old Intel Pentium 4 1.80GHz, 480MB RAM PC, just doesn't cut it anymore. There's a computer store in my area that's selling this PC tower...

H.P. D 530
* Intel Pentium 4 - 3.0GHz Processor
* 2GB DDR RAM
* Floppy Drive
* 120GB IDE Hard Drive
* DVD-ROM Drive/CDRW Drive
* 6 USB Ports
* 1 Ethernet Kat 5
* Office 2007 full version installed
* Windows XP Professional installed with COA sticker included
* 30 Day Warranty

Includes a 17" CRT monitor with keyboard & mouse for free...

So, do you think this PC tower is worth $260 (tax included) or should I look else where?...

You could build something WAY better for about $100 more on Dell/HP/etc.

DIT1: Go to Dell.com, they have the Inspiron 530 which is better than the one you just posted for $279 + tax and shipping, but if you look hard enough,you could probably find a free shipping or some kind of coupon. Specs below (in the screenshot)

EDIT2: If you don't mind throwing an extra $50 at it, you could get the Inspiron 518 for $329, it has a slightly better CPU and slightly better graphics (which you'll want for the internet and such).

Umm, I can only see the warranty and HD as better? Is an Intel Celeron (2.2GHz) better than a Pentium 4 CPU running at 3GHz? Also, I really don't want Vista Home Basic, I rather stick with Windows XP...

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Umm, I can only see the warranty and HD as better? Is an Intel Celeron (2.2GHz) better than a Pentium 4 CPU running at 3GHz? Also, I really don't want Vista Home Basic, I rather stick with Windows XP...[/quote]
Yeah, the first one (530) with the Celeron is a single core, i thought it was dual. That's why i linked you to the Inspiron 518 which has a 2.5GHz dual-core. It will easily trump your 3GHz P4 when it comes to multi-threaded applications which most things are these days. If you still have your current XP CD/Key, you can ditch Vista if you don't want it. Your choice.

For a better comparison, why type of RAM do you have? The 518 has DDR2 800MHz RAM while what you listed is only DDR so i'm assuming max it's 400MHz?

I do believe the RAM is just DDR. I have no idea what's a dual-core processor. I always thought the higher the (GHz) the better? I guess, I should do more research...

If you are only using your computer for those types of things you might be able to get away with just upgrading your RAM. But if you want to buy that PC it looks like a fair price, but you may be more satisfied spending a little more and getting a dual core proc.

[quote name='SEGA128DC']I do believe the RAM is just DDR. I have no idea what's a dual-core processor. I always thought the higher the (GHz) the better? I guess, I should do more research...
[/quote]
The higher the GHz the better is still true today, it's just now we have Dual and Quad core processors that have essentially 2 cores on 1 chipset. So our 3GHz Pentium 4 may seem really good, but my 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo is rated at about 5GHz, because i have 2 cores that can process twice as much as your P4 can, at abotu the same speed (2.53GHz vs. 3GHz).

As for ram, going from DDR-400MHz to DDR2-800MHz would be a huge difference, especially if you have 2 sticks of 1GB setup in dual channel (usually automatic).

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Yeah, I think I should save up some more money...;)[/quote]

I agree. You can get a really good PC (non-gaming, though still with enough graphics to play games) for $350-400 shipped.

[quote name='SynGamer']The higher the GHz the better is still true today, it's just now we have Dual and Quad core processors that have essentially 2 cores on 1 chipset. So our 3GHz Pentium 4 may seem really good, but my 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo is rated at about 5GHz, because i have 2 cores that can process twice as much as your P4 can, at abotu the same speed (2.53GHz vs. 3GHz).

As for ram, going from DDR-400MHz to DDR2-800MHz would be a huge difference, especially if you have 2 sticks of 1GB setup in dual channel (usually automatic).

I agree. You can get a really good PC (non-gaming, though still with enough graphics to play games) for $350-400 shipped.[/QUOTE]

Actually it's not that cut a dry. GHz mainly matters when you are comparing similar processors. A 2.5ghz core 2 duo will outperform a 2.0GHz core 2 duo. Compare different kinds of processors then it depends on the effeciency of the processor. A 2.0Ghz core 2 duo will run circles around a 3.0 ghz pentium 4 because it's way more eficient, not because it has a second core.

A mistake a lot of people think is that a 2.5ghz core 2 duo = a 5.0ghz single core processor. It doesn't work that way. (although there is something implimented in the new i7 processors that kind of does soemthing like that)

Even in a multi-threaded application, it will can run different parts of the program on differenct cores at the same time, but it's still going to be processing at 2.5 ghz.

[quote name='n25philly']Actually it's not that cut a dry. GHz mainly matters when you are comparing similar processors. A 2.5ghz core 2 duo will outperform a 2.0GHz core 2 duo. Compare different kinds of processors then it depends on the effeciency of the processor. A 2.0Ghz core 2 duo will run circles around a 3.0 ghz pentium 4 because it's way more eficient, not because it has a second core.

A mistake a lot of people think is that a 2.5ghz core 2 duo = a 5.0ghz single core processor. It doesn't work that way. (although there is something implimented in the new i7 processors that kind of does soemthing like that)

Even in a multi-threaded application, it will can run different parts of the program on differenct cores at the same time, but it's still going to be processing at 2.5 ghz.[/quote]

It isn't a 5GHz CPU but it's basically rated at that. With both cores running at 2.5 GHz, you can process at least two applications/processes at the same time while the single core 3GHz P4 can only do one. But all that i was trying to get across is that the dual-core CPU is much better than the P4.

[quote name='SEGA128DC']I do believe the RAM is just DDR. I have no idea what's a dual-core processor. I always thought the higher the (GHz) the better? I guess, I should do more research...
[/quote]

Dual core (AKA Core 2 Duo in Intel-speak) is a huge leap over P4. The PC you saw isn't a bad deal , especially with XP Pro. But if you're specifically wanting to upgrade, there's no point in spending $250 on a mild improvement. You can buy a good upgradeable board, mid-range Intel dual core chip, and a midrange video card for under $200. Stick it all in your existing tower and re-use the HDD.

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Hmm, what do you guys think of this Acer Aspire M1201 Desktop PC from Buy.com?...

http://www.buy.com/prod/acer-aspire...-6ghz-2gb-ddr2-sdram/q/loc/101/208648410.html
[/quote]
It's alright, but for $400, you could build a MUCH better computer using your current computer and new parts. Do what Richard said, save up a bit, and then buy a new motherboard, ram, and CPU. When the time comes, we can definitely help you find the best deal. Newegg often has some great combo offers. Personally, i paid about $175 for a mobo, 2GB ram, and my 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo last June/July.

I don't know how to build a PC. I'm currently using a backup PC, a Sony Vaio, it's like a heavy over-sized laptop. My HP tower died on me last summer, it won't boot-up anymore, asks for a Windows disc?...

Wow this thread is like a time warp to 1999.

Dont need to build it, just get one that the guys recommend thats pre built. Save you warranty headaches that you may get.

Alright if you have a monitor already you could get a 2x faster PC for that price and maybe less...just pick out your parts at Anitec,Newegg or NCIX

Remember you only need to following for internet:
Case
HDD
MotherBoard
Graphics Card (you can use the onboard one if you want)
Network adapter (unless your using LAN)
CPU/Proccessor-2.4 is good
RAM

[quote name='Lice']Wow this thread is like a time warp to 1999.

Dont need to build it, just get one that the guys recommend thats pre built. Save you warranty headaches that you may get.[/quote]I agree.

Go with Dell and find some coupon codes.

Don't forget about the Dell outlet (outlet.dell.com)

Search the selection of Inspiron 530s (basic desktop with Intel CPUs)

With the i7's out now, there's no reason not to try to get a Core 2 Quad CPU unless you're really trying to save money.

I'd look for at least 4GB of RAM and hard drive size to taste.

Scan the selection/prices regularly and in a few days, you'll get an idea of what you can expect to pay and you'll recognize it when you see a good deal (the prices/selection swing wildly sometimes)

For example, last week I got a Inspiron 530 with a Core 2 Quad (Q6600), 4GB RAM, 500GB HD and an 256MB ATI 3650 graphics card for $389.

Also try HP's outlet store. I know some will put down their computers, but I have hadn't a problem with them and they have some great prices.

Hell a 2 ghz dual will trump a 3 ghz P4 even when only one core is being used. That is if you don't get a celeron D, those things are limited lol.

On your budget, I'd get a Dell (as others mentioned the outlet is pretty good). Don't get an HP as their warranty service vacuums.

bread's done
Back