Is this power supply good enough to run a 8800gt video card?

http://www.xoxide.com/buy-computer-power-supplies.html

550w should be way more than enough for the video card but it depends on other things as well... how many HDD/Disc drives do you have being powered? What kind of chip do you have being powered?

If you can handle sending in rebates you might want to go for something else. Newegg right now has a 650 watt Antec with three 12v rails (rather than the two that the Basiq has) for $75 after rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371001

well i am an employee at circuit city... so i was looking at getting a discount on both.

the rest of my setup is

intel core duo e6600
hd 120gb at 10rpm
7900gs (want to upgrade)
media card reader
2 dvd drives
2GB's of ram

its a dell so i hope the upgrade wont have any problems in that aspect... i know dells can be a bitch to upgrade sometimes

Damn $290, is that the best graphics card around right about now?
I wonder what the price will be in say, a year, cause I want to upgrade my 8500 GT but don't want to spend more then $160.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163275[/QUOTE]

Yeah that looks to be the best bet price wise right now. I'm regreting spending around $100 for my card when for $30 or so more I could have went with the 8600GT and run newer games at better specs, but right now the most demanding game I have on my list is F.E.A.R and it runs fine on maxmium settings, the real test is when I get S.T.A.L.K.E.R in the mail. Crysis is too rich for my blood, and I already am getting COD4 for the 360. I'm sure things will change when Blizzard-Activision releases Starcraft 2, but knowing Blizzard the requirements won't be high to run at full specs.

Wattage isn't as important as voltage. Go with a three rail PSU, like the Antec Trio.

If you don't have a power hungry video card, two rails is fine. With a power hungry video card, you want three. With two power hungry video cards in SLi, you want four.

[quote name='Koggit']Wattage isn't as important as voltage. Go with a three rail PSU, like the Antec Trio.

If you don't have a power hungry video card, two rails is fine. With a power hungry video card, you want three. With two power hungry video cards in SLi, you want four.[/QUOTE]

The number of rails doesn't matter as much as the actual amp rating. I'd say he should stick with at least 30 amps over 2-3 rails (2 rails with 18A or 3 rails with 12A).

[quote name='markyshizzle']is the good? i need to act fast if i want the 25 dollar rebate that ends today.

please let me know u think about this power supply!

http://www.provantage.com/antec-tp3-550~7ANTS02K.htm[/QUOTE]

Three 18A +12V rails, 550 watts, 85% efficiency, reliable company and a 5 year warrenty... go for it.

It'll meet your demands and the price is really good.

wait... if its 18 amps and the card says 22 amps is required... will that not be good enough?

System requirements:
At minimum, a 400-watt power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 amps is required. SLI systems require a 450-watt power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 amps. An available 6-pin PCI-E power connector is also required (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6-pin adapter included with card).

The amps are shared by everything that's connected to the PS itself.

If they tell you 22A, then you could get by with only an 18A PS depending on what else you have connected (though it's unlikely). 22A is just a safe number for the average user who wants that card.

Also, when you have multiple rails, the amps somewhat add up. For example, if you have 2 rails rated at 18A, then you should get around 32A total (not 38A, because amps on different rails don't combine).

So the PS from Provantage should be plenty... 18A on 3 rails ends up being like 48A or so. And no, if you have more power or amps than your system actually needs, it's not a bad thing. The PS will only provide your system with what's needed... nothing more, nothing less.

bread's done
Back