Is this supposed to happen? Same profile on two different XBoxes

murphyspub

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So I purchased the S console with Kinect from the Amazon deal last week. Set it up and played a little Kinect Adventures. Kinect is cooler than I thought, but will probably still suffer from Wiiitis until Once Upon a Monster comes out.

Anyway, instead of recovering my profile, I moved it from my OG XBox onto a USB stick, then through some PC shenanigans, copied it so it was back on the OG, and at the same time on the USB stick. plugged it into the new XBox and it played on it, worked as expected.

Now, from everything I've read, I thought I would be prompted to do a profile recovery when I went back to the OG XBox, sans USB stick. But both profiles seem to be fine and cooexist nicely on seperate boxes at the same time, though I haven't put them online at the same time. So is this supposed to happen? Did MS change something when they went to USB storage, or perhaps in preparation for cloud storage? Anyone else doing this?

[quote name='62t']Um why won't it work?[/QUOTE]

Well of course it sounds like it should work, but everything I've read about doing it says that it doesn't. In the past, having your profile on two consoles has meant that one gets invalidated, and needs the valid one to be moved back or recovered.

[quote name='murphyspub']So I purchased the S console with Kinect from the Amazon deal last week. Set it up and played a little Kinect Adventures. Kinect is cooler than I thought, but will probably still suffer from Wiiitis until Once Upon a Monster comes out.

Anyway, instead of recovering my profile, I moved it from my OG XBox onto a USB stick, then through some PC shenanigans, copied it so it was back on the OG, and at the same time on the USB stick. plugged it into the new XBox and it played on it, worked as expected.

Now, from everything I've read, I thought I would be prompted to do a profile recovery when I went back to the OG XBox, sans USB stick. But both profiles seem to be fine and cooexist nicely on seperate boxes at the same time, though I haven't put them online at the same time. So is this supposed to happen? Did MS change something when they went to USB storage, or perhaps in preparation for cloud storage? Anyone else doing this?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... That is kind of interesting... I have never tried making copies of it, but I guess that would be interesting. Although, I would definitely be careful because I think it could back to bite you if you have achievements on one profile and not the other.

Example:
Console A you get 10 achievements offline, and then go back to console B and score a few more. The next time your bring console A back on, there is going to be a discrepancy since you will be missing the achievements from B and they will be trying to add the ones from A. This is something that I remember people getting pissed about when they did the huge ban on modded systems.

I guess the main question would be this... Are both systems hooked up to Live? I know I have had a profile on my brother's offline system and my online system at the same time.

[quote name='krodos']I think it might be part of the cloud storage and your account is syncing as soon as you go online.[/QUOTE]

Cloud is not up and running yet, so this wouldn't be it.

Microsoft begins moving Xbox 360 profiles, game data to the cloud

Posted by mgxsolutions on July 5, 2011

We first heard about Microsoft’s plans to move Xbox 360 profile and save data to the cloud at the company’s E3 press conference early last month, and today those plans are beginning to take shape. An update is slowly being rolled out to Xbox 360 consoles that moves gamer profile data and game saves for certain Xbox Live Arcade titles to a cloud storage space, allowing it to be accessed from any console.

Moving game saves and player information to a non-local storage space offers several benefits. Gamers who purchase new consoles, perhaps to upgrade hard drive space or simply because their previous system died, will no longer have to mess with complicated transfer procedures. Simply signing in to your Xbox Live account will give you access to all of the data you need in order to continue your games right where you left off. It also provides an extra level of security, as Microsoft’s servers will (hopefully) be an ironclad vault and offer added protection against data loss.

Currently, only certain Xbox Live games are set up to save to the cloud. This slow and steady approach is likely Microsoft’s way of preventing any possibly snafus that might be created by dropping the full weight of the Xbox 360 library onto the service at once. Additional titles are expected to be added in short order, though no timeframe has been revealed for when specific games will make the leap to the cloud.

http://www.mgxsolutions.com/2011/07...ing-xbox-360-profiles-game-data-to-the-cloud/

[quote name='Gerry P.']http://www.mgxsolutions.com/2011/07...ing-xbox-360-profiles-game-data-to-the-cloud/[/QUOTE]

Not quite there...

"Just confirmed that the [cloud storage] service has not gone live yet. We'll keep you posted on launch details." -- Microsoft representative.

A story that started in Europe yesterday -- and was yanked by the afternoon -- regarding Xbox 360's cloud storage coming online is still making its way through the internets. Microsoft officially confirmed to us that the service is not yet live.

We'll be sure to let you know as soon as Microsoft's online save storage, announced during E3 2011, becomes available.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/06/psa-xbox-360-cloud-storage-not-live/

The only thing I would say is that achievements earned on on Xbox would not appear on the other Xbox. All achievements would still be on Xbox Live and you could see them from xbox.com. If you wanted to sync up an Xbox, you'd have to recover your gamertag and then go through the process you did to get the gamertag on 2 Xboxs.

This is just a theory.

Both XBoxes are connected to live. I earned several achievements on kinect games. When I next booted up the original XBox, it showed all my achievements and recent games played. I was never prompted to recover gamertag. I haven't put them both online at the same time, and wouldn't try, unless my wife tries to boot up netflix while I'm playing. Then we'll see what happens. But right now, they have no problem syncing up when each comes on separately.

[quote name='murphyspub']Both XBoxes are connected to live. I earned several achievements on kinect games. When I next booted up the original XBox, it showed all my achievements and recent games played. I was never prompted to recover gamertag. I haven't put them both online at the same time, and wouldn't try, unless my wife tries to boot up netflix while I'm playing. Then we'll see what happens. But right now, they have no problem syncing up when each comes on separately.[/QUOTE]

It'll probably just sign out the first 360 as soon as you sign into the second 360.

bread's done
Back